Majors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flockey11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What did everyone major in for their undergrad?

Members don't see this ad.

Sports Medicine/Athletic Training

Members don't see this ad :)
at one of the SUNY schools around me i can do a 3+3 w. an undergrad in exercise physiology.. but i'm not sure if i want to do that, haha

Biology with minors in Chemistry and Anthropology.

Kinesiology specializing in exercise science and minoring in biology

Physiology

minors in Pscyhology and Chemistry

Members don't see this ad :)
Alrighty...this is a long one...haha

Physical Education: Exercise Science Pre-Physical Therapy

Environmental Biology and Biochemistry with a minor in Geographical Information Systems

:D

Athletic Training.. to be honest I really am not interested in a lot of what is involved with this major but it is preparing me so well for my transition to PT school

Biology with a dual minor in Chemistry and Spanish.

Athletic Training.. to be honest I really am not interested in a lot of what is involved with this major but it is preparing me so well for my transition to PT school

There's a decent amount of overlap between athletic training/PT, so don't knock it. IE: prevention, evaluation (hx, palpation, special tests, MMT, etc.), anatomy and physiology knowledge, principles of rehabilitation, therapeutic modalities, return to play criteria (similar to dc parameters), functional testing, SOAP notes and abbreviations, budgeting. these are just things I can think of off the top of my head. Granted, PT will go much more in depth with many of these areas. AT will go more into things like taping/bracing/wrapping, responding to athletics related emergencies, and concerns over treating different positions (like how to tape a receivers thumb vs a linemans).

What was it you were not so interested in? For me, I knew after a while that I didn't want to be dealing with bloody noses and taping cheerleaders wrists all day. That, and I'd much rather rehab a tib/fib compound fracture than deal with the initial injury (just an example).

Last edited:
With an Athletic training degree, you are well ahead of some people that majored in psychology or history (not saying they are bad).

And thats the main reason why PT schools require pre-reqs anyway!

Thanks, I worked as an Environmental Scientist for a few years right out of undergrad, but decided to pursue PT starting last year. I am not a typical PT student, but I am really looking forward to PT school.

There's a decent amount of overlap between athletic training/PT, so don't knock it. IE: prevention, evaluation (hx, palpation, special tests, MMT, etc.), anatomy and physiology knowledge, principles of rehabilitation, therapeutic modalities, return to play criteria (similar to dc parameters), functional testing, SOAP notes and abbreviations, budgeting. these are just things I can think of off the top of my head. Granted, PT will go much more in depth with many of these areas. AT will go more into things like taping/bracing/wrapping, responding to athletics related emergencies, and concerns over treating different positions (like how to tape a receivers thumb vs a linemans).

What was it you were not so interested in? For me, I knew after a while that I didn't want to be dealing with bloody noses and taping cheerleaders wrists all day. That, and I'd much rather rehab a tib/fib compound fracture than deal with the initial injury (just an example).

Well, I like athletic training as my undergraduate study for all of those reasons. The background in eval., functional anatomy, rehab and all of it are gonna put me at such an advantage for PT school. What I meant when I said I didn't like a lot of what is involved with the major was all the clinical hours associated with it. I am responsible for 150 hours a semester (at 18 creds over 16.) mostly nights and weekends with travel following some sports team around and handing out water bottles. Also, the athlete population is not one I'm sure I wanna work with as a PT. Other than that it's great and would recommend it as an undergraduate pathway. Even things as simple as all the patient interaction goes a long way or so I've heard. Palpations for the first time can be difficult too.

I was fortunate enough to find a six year program ATC/DPT so even if I absolutely hated AT I would probably do it.

Well, I like athletic training as my undergraduate study for all of those reasons. The background in eval., functional anatomy, rehab and all of it are gonna put me at such an advantage for PT school. What I meant when I said I didn't like a lot of what is involved with the major was all the clinical hours associated with it. I am responsible for 150 hours a semester (at 18 creds over 16.) mostly nights and weekends with travel following some sports team around and handing out water bottles. Also, the athlete population is not one I'm sure I wanna work with as a PT. Other than that it's great and would recommend it as an undergraduate pathway. Even things as simple as all the patient interaction goes a long way or so I've heard. Palpations for the first time can be difficult too.

I was fortunate enough to find a six year program ATC/DPT so even if I absolutely hated AT I would probably do it.

Your last sentence scares me. Let me know where you will be doing AT work so I can bookmark it as a place NOT to get treatment!

Your last sentence scares me. Let me know where you will be doing AT work so I can bookmark it as a place NOT to get treatment!

Just because I'm not in love with taping ankles and treating wounds (especially when it conflicts so much with my studying) doesn't mean I do not provide the best possible care I can with the well being of my patients always my top priority.

BA Biology, BA Psychology, Minor Chemistry

I was Kinesiology with a specialization in Exercise Science. I think it's very useful for PT, however I wish I had done AT so that I could work in a more directly related field before PT school.

BS in public health. In my opinion nobody should be too concerned with majoring in something that is related to physical therapy, or something that you think will give you an advantage. The reason for PT school is to teach you what you need to know to be a PT. A similar example is law school. Law schools pick diverse undergrads and do not favor pre-law programs because they like to teach students the law from square one. I'm not trying to put anyone down, if you like sports science then go for it. But I am saying that if you love something like political science or art, but decide on sports science because you think it will give you a better chance of getting in, I would argue that you should go with what you love.:eek: