Majors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dsalcedo1015

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey i'm new to this forum but i'm sure that should be obvious enough by what i am going to ask. i've decided that i want to become an optometrist but i would like to know what majors you guys took before you went into optometry school. like, what field did you receive a bachelor's degree in? i would just like some input or advice.

i'm at a community college right now but i plan on eventually transferring to cal state fullerton and then eventually to SCCO right across the street. it would be cool to know what would be a good area to receive a bachelors in that way i can have a decent job while in optometry school.

so yea,

Members don't see this ad.

Optometry schools take a wide array of majors but the most common are Biology and Chemistry. Personally, I'm majoring in Biology. Request info or call the school that you would like to attend and speak with them about what they value and what betters the chances of you getting accepted.

I'm a bio major myself, but I've heard of art majors getting into opt school too (but it's pretty rare lol). It's good to have a solid foundation in your pre-reqs, so people sometimes just major in bio because it just coincides with the pre-reqs. If you decide not to go for a science major, just make sure your science grades are decent! They reteach subjects when you get to optometry school, but a good background is always nice! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I have an Anthropology degree...yeah, random, I know, but I love that stuff. It was a B.S. major (double entendre) so there was a lot of biology involved, and so it actually helped out a lot with almost all of the prereqs.

hey i'm new to this forum but i'm sure that should be obvious enough by what i am going to ask. i've decided that i want to become an optometrist but i would like to know what majors you guys took before you went into optometry school. like, what field did you receive a bachelor's degree in? i would just like some input or advice.

i'm at a community college right now but i plan on eventually transferring to cal state fullerton and then eventually to SCCO right across the street. it would be cool to know what would be a good area to receive a bachelors in that way i can have a decent job while in optometry school.

so yea,

I would have done this.

Get A's in all your pre-req's then do the EASIEST possible major, which will require extensive researching. I don't think you will have enough time to work during OD school.

hmm! this is all good stuff! thanks for the input. yea i was planning on doing something along the lines of what gochi was talking about.

hmm is that true about not having enough time to work during OD school??? that would make things slightly more difficult i'm sure.

oh yea! new question! if i got lower than a C on a class that isn't a pre-requisite, would that effect me when i'm trying to get into OD school?

hmm! this is all good stuff! thanks for the input. yea i was planning on doing something along the lines of what gochi was talking about.

hmm is that true about not having enough time to work during OD school??? that would make things slightly more difficult i'm sure.

You're in class basically from 8-5 or so, at most schools (from what I understand). At SCO, if you do work-study you're not allowed to work more than 20 hrs a week. Any other schools have a similar policy?

oh yea! new question! if i got lower than a C on a class that isn't a pre-requisite, would that effect me when i'm trying to get into OD school?
most schools consider a D as a fail. C or better or you better plan on retaking that course.

most schools consider a D as a fail. C or better or you better plan on retaking that course.

An F grade denotes failure; not a D. Honestly, if schools consider a D grade a failure then there far more stupid then a grade 8 student.

If you did get lower than a C, say a C- then you dont have to retake it because when your entering your grades on a sheet/document you don't take into account the +/-, therefore the C+ or C- automatically translates to a C or a 2.0 and not a 2.33 or 2.67. Anyone know anything about this ?

i may be an oddball here, but i am a business major with a biology minor. the schools said they valued the diversity i would bring. my GPA isn't stellar, and i got two C+'s in my 2 organic chemistry classes. i never retook them. i am not an A student in biology either. either the schools are getting desperate (because i got in to everywhere i applied) or people just worry too much.

i know a D doesn't mean you failed. But i'd still retake the course. The schools would probably recommend it too

Members don't see this ad :)
so general ed classes that aren't in the prerequisites can still effect me then? if so then thats info that i need to know! thanks again

i may be an oddball here, but i am a business major with a biology minor. the schools said they valued the diversity i would bring. my GPA isn't stellar, and i got two C+'s in my 2 organic chemistry classes. i never retook them. i am not an A student in biology either. either the schools are getting desperate (because i got in to everywhere i applied) or people just worry too much.

I think people worry too much. I was a bio minor too - not an A student - and also got C+'s in organic.

I think people worry too much. I was a bio minor too - not an A student - and also got C+'s in organic.

I want to go to SCO.. and I got a C+ in orgo 2. This give me hope! Thanks.

ike, what field did you receive a bachelor's degree in?

I'm GOING to get a BS in Biology. I'd say hard--> easy is

Chem> Bio > Psych.

If I were you, I'd go Psycho.:thumbup:

I always got A's in my Psych classes without a sweat. I'm sure I got lucky by getting awesome teachers, but they're so much more interesting than Bio.

But in reality, it doesn't matter what Major you decide on. As long as you get the pre-req's you are good to go. My OD has a Bachelor's in History!

I want to go to SCO.. and I got a C+ in orgo 2. This give me hope! Thanks.

Good, I'm glad that makes you feel better! Organic killed me. I got a C+ in part 1 and a B- in part 2... and SCO was fine. :) Are you applying for this coming fall?

Good, I'm glad that makes you feel better! Organic killed me. I got a C+ in part 1 and a B- in part 2... and SCO was fine. :) Are you applying for this coming fall?

I got an A in I and a C+ in II! Nothing to be too proud of either way.

I wish I was applying for this fall.. I'll be applying for Fall '09. =)

I'm GOING to get a BS in Biology. I'd say hard--> easy is

Chem> Bio > Psych.

If I were you, I'd go Psycho.:thumbup:

I always got A's in my Psych classes without a sweat. I'm sure I got lucky by getting awesome teachers, but they're so much more interesting than Bio.

But in reality, it doesn't matter what Major you decide on. As long as you get the pre-req's you are good to go. My OD has a Bachelor's in History!

Why do you think Biology is the easiest subject to major in ?

For me, BIO>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>than any other subject.

I actually started out as a biology major and then switched to business management/entrepreneurship. I decided that I wanted to get a degree in something that I would enjoy using if I did not go on to more school. Also, I wanted to get something out of undergrad that I wouldn't get as much of from optometry school. It worked out for me; I got into all of the schools I applied to and will be starting optometry school this fall.

Why do you think Biology is the easiest subject to major in ?

For me, BIO>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>than any other subject.

In my opinion, I believe that Chem is harder than Bio, and Bio is harder than Psychology. This is major wise, considering upper level courses. Not just the Intro classes.

I didn't say Bio is the easiest subject.. just within those three science fields, bio is medium. All people have strengths and weaknesses, I guess.

I am a double major in Microbiology & Immunology and Psychology and I can say that they are both seriously hard. Psychology is not easier than Biology and I can tell you that studying the crazy mechanisms that viruses have to evade our immune system, all the details on them and even just our immune system will make you want to throw yourself off something... for a moment. And psychology is different in that it isn't all about memorization but there are a lot theories, scientific journals and analysis that goes on. So I would not say that Psychology is easier than Biology, but rather similar in terms of level of difficulty in the upper year classes. Take this from someone who majored in both majors. ( Both in the faculty of science).:D

okay this is kind of an offshoot from the original question but if OD school students dont really have the time to work, how do people survive through school? there has to be a way to sustain yourself financially during school...right???:confused:

student loans. And then people work little side part time jobs for extra spending $$