Majors Thread

There aren't a ton of unemployed PhD in this country, especially in the sciences. For humanities majors, I'm sure there are plenty of sweet jobs at prep schools or community colleges if one can't get an ideal job at a major university. Also, post-docs can make a decent living (most foreign degree holders who don't speak English well end up stuck as these), especially at the major research institutions. It's a perfectly viable option if you're considering academia/teaching as an alternative to a medical career.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XViCOAu6UC0[/YOUTUBE]

:laugh:

Sorry, I had to.

Members don't see this ad.

Is there anyone who's going the pre-med route and has majored in math? I'm trying to find a balance between a major I'll enjoy and a major that can help in case med school doesn't work out, and I'm really thinking about math. Accounting and business really haven't interested me, as those majors focus solely in business, and I'm really not interested in business.

I'm also considering physics and chem, depending on whether those majors can lead to a med school back-up.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
JChait and Gamma Knife: thanks for the advice. I'm really interested in chemistry, so I'm trying to find a major that includes that. I'm debating between chemistry, biochemistry, and chemical engineering (likely if I decide to opt out of medicine in college) right now. I'll have to look at physics at my colleges, though, and see what it entails. At least I have a few years before I have to decide on my major. :)

I was thinking about a communications major. It would be helpful for communicating with patients. It's also unique and different from all the science major applicants.

I was thinking about a communications major. It would be helpful for communicating with patients. It's also unique and different from all the science major applicants.

Just make sure to check your college's description, though. It could be a journalism major with a different name (I wanted to be a sports journalist before turning to medicine, and I saw a lot of journalism majors under the title of "Communications"). May be interesting, though.

Just make sure to check your college's description, though. It could be a journalism major with a different name (I wanted to be a sports journalist before turning to medicine, and I saw a lot of journalism majors under the title of "Communications"). May be interesting, though.
Now that I looked, my college of choice only has 'communications media'. Unless it's under a different name.

The Bachelor of Science degree in Communications Media prepares you for a career in television or radio broadcasting, media relations, graphic design, advertising, or video production.

And Botox, believe me when I say that if medical school doesn't work out, there are NO decent jobs in journalism, partly why I moved on to science/medicine.

And Botox, believe me when I say that if medical school doesn't work out, there are NO decent jobs in journalism, partly why I moved on to science/medicine.
I'm not interested in journalism at all anyway. I'm interested in biology but i was just trying to think of a major that would be unique from the other applicants but would also help me with my career in medicine. And med school not working out isnt really an option for me. I mean it it came to me not getting in by my 3rd application cycle I really don't know what i'd do.

I'm not interested in journalism at all anyway. I'm interested in biology but i was just trying to think of a major that would be unique from the other applicants but would also help me with my career in medicine. And med school not working out isnt really an option for me. I mean it it came to me not getting in by my 3rd application cycle I really don't know what i'd do.

Personally, and this is just me, I would strongly think of a couple of back-up plans (nothing against your intelligence or anything, just to be safe). Don't have your life bound to med school, so that if you don't get in for whatever reason, you're not devastated and can just move on. That's why I'm still struggling on what major to go for, as I want to find a balance between something I enjoy and something that can lead to a job. I'm always afraid of having nowhere to go if med school doesn't work out. But, to each his own, I guess.

One thing that I'm going to do, and I would strongly suggest to you, is hold off deciding on a major 'til you get to college. My top-choice has an exploratory program that students can follow, and if you're unsure of what to do, I'd sign up for something like that. That way, you have some time to think about it and can try a few different things in college. Who knows? You may find something else that you're passionate about.

My medical school has a few math and engineering majors, as well as humanities. If I could do it again, I probably would have had math as one of my majors (with philosophy and sociology). I'm about to start the math PhD, and it always amazes me how versatile math really is. If you enjoy it and can do well in it, I'd say with it. It's an unusual major applying to medical school, and there's so many job/grad school options if you change your mind or aren't accepted...

Maybe this can help out some other pre-meds, but how about majoring in something you enjoy while taking a few classes in a safer industry? For example, I'm thinking about majoring in biochemistry with a few accounting classes on the side in case med school doesn't work out and I need a job to support myself. I'll let some of the more experienced posters here give their opinions on a plan like this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im thinking about majoring in Biochemistry and minoring in dance but I heard its better to have a high GPA and an easy major so I might major in philosophy.

Im thinking about majoring in Biochemistry and minoring in dance but I heard its better to have a high GPA and an easy major so I might major in philosophy.

Female dance majors.. :love:

I'm thinking about majoring in biochemistry with a few accounting classes on the side in case med school doesn't work out and I need a job to support myself.

Also, if you go into private practice, a few business classes wouldn't hurt.

What do people think about Biomedical engineering?

Any exercise science majors out there? Met one today, and it sounds like pretty interesting stuff.

I guess I'm technically undecided. Trying to decided between bio,psych, and eng.

I'm pretty positive I'm going to major in Biology and do the Global Health Certificate at my school. I'm just debating on whether to pursue a concentration in Biochemistry or Neurobiology. I've always wanted to be a neurologist, I'm just considering Biochemistry as an option because I've done research in a Biochemistry lab for the past two years...so yeah, not really sure about that part. :confused:

This is an awesome idea, thanks man. Yeah I know I want to go into medicine, but as far as my major, I have no idea. I'm good at chem, but I'm not exactly in love with it. I adore bio, but that seems pretty generic.

Any exercise science majors out there? Met one today, and it sounds like pretty interesting stuff.

I would LOVE to do exercise science. That seems so interesting. I feel like people consider that an easy major, but if you love it, why not?

Biology and Spanish. Biology because I almost have enough credits after my prerecs and recommended courses, and Spanish because I tested into 300 levels and get like 10+ free credit hours.

I'd have to say that my top 3 choices (as of now) are:

1. Physics

2. Exercise Science

3. Education

Quick question for you guys: would a biology major with a minor in mathematics work out for someone looking to get into med school? Also, would the math minor help in case med school doesn't work out?

I think it would be an interesting idea to consider flipping the two if you want to hedge against not going to med school. A applied mathematics (or statistics) major with a minor in biology could be very marketable to both industry and med school. It would also leave open career options like actuarial science if you can pass a few actuary exams... Makes me wonder if there has ever been a full-fledged actuary that later went to medical school?...They'd likely lose a million in future earnings.

My high school physics teacher told me almost every economist, investor and banker at NYSE and on the NYSE floor are physics majors or have a heavy physics background. Not sure if that's true or not, but he spent a whole day doing economic related physics -- was very bori.. :sleep:.

It's an exaggerated statement...but the mathematical concepts of physics are deeply embedded in our financial markets. Much of the 'black-box', algorithmic trading that occurs is based on physics concepts like to brownian motion/statistical mechanics. There has been a shift in the last ten years from hiring physics PhDs to hiring more math and computer science ones, though. Also, colleges like Berkeley and Columbia started offering fancy new degree programs in topics like "financial engineering" and "financial mathematics", which have filled some of the demand for math-savvy trading technicians...but they do learn math which started in physics!

It is no exaggeration that today's economics PhD programs are insanely mathematical! In fact, most top programs nearly require the equivalent of a undergrad math major for admissions. If you don't love advanced, proof-based mathematics, don't plan on going to econ grad school!

I'd have to say that my top 3 choices (as of now) are:

1. Physics

2. Exercise Science

3. Education

My vote is for Physics if you can handle the material without it damaging your gpa too much. People associate physics majors with being "smart"....which would be a life-long benefit for you...and, honestly, I think the process of earning a physics degree does actually improve your ability to think :). Besides, physics can lead into careers/grad school in #2 & #3...but this doesn't work in reverse!