Major Advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arlington07

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a pre-pharmacy degree holder-non degree seeker, which UT AUSTIN Natural Science Major will benefit me the most when it comes to pharmacy school admissions:

1. Human Development and Family Science
2. Nutrition Science/Health
3. Kinesiology

I have narrowed down my major choices to these three options and would greatly appreciate anyones input and suggestions. :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

As a pre-pharmacy degree holder-non degree seeker, which UT AUSTIN Natural Science Major will benefit me the most when it comes to pharmacy school admissions:

3. Kinesiology

:hardy: I have narrowed down my major choices to these three options and would greatly appreciate anyones input and suggestions. :luck:
I don't mean to throw your discussion off-topic, but why not go after Biochemistry, Biomedical Engineering, or Chemistry? I think those would be most relevant if you want to pursue a degree while applying to pharmacy school.

A standard biology degree is the generic degree that most people grab while going into pharmacy or medicine. It's probably also easier than Biochemistry or BME, depending on what kind of student you are.

If you want to choose between your listed three options, I would say, in order of importance:
1.) Nutrition Science/Health,
2.) Kinesiology,
3.) Human Development and Family Science.

I would not go HDF. Many of the classes are focused on interpersonal relations. It focuses on human interactions and social interactions. There is not a whole lot of "science" in the biological sense. I would say it is the least relevant major for a pharmacy student. There are, however, a lot of "fun" and easy classes in UT's HDF program. I took HDF 304 and it was entertaining.

--Garfield3d

Thanks Garfield for all your advice!

I know that biology and chemistry degrees are way more pharmacy related and helpful in the long run but I have also heard a lot about how difficult they are. I am scarred of majoring in "what i should" because of the difficult classes those majors require. I know i have a higher chance of getting a good GPA if i major in something LIKE nutrition or HDF.
-------I was feeling the same way about majoring in HDF and because of that leaning more towards Nutrition. Many people told me to finish the prereqs, apply and if i dont get in..get my degree in HDF and apply again because HDF will increase my gpa?

I appreciate you input!

Members don't see this ad :)
I say go with what you feel is right for you, which seems to be your plan. If you don't like the classes you are more likely to do badly. Pharm schools aren't going to expect you to know more than what is in those pre-req classes. Of course it's helpful to have more knowledge, but not expected.

3. Kinesiology

I have narrowed down my major choices to these three options and would greatly appreciate anyones input and suggestions. :luck:

Maybe nutrition or kinesiology. I am not very familiar with either of those degrees, and it probably does not matter much. With nutrition, you will probably get more biochem/metabolism and with kinesiology probably more physiology. I think both of these would be helpful for the first year of pharm school.

Really, though, it is not going to matter much which one you pick.

so far Nutrition seems to be numero uno:laugh:

anyone know some other majors other than the HARD SCIENCES(bio, chem, biochem, BME, ECT.) that will give me a positive edge on pharmacy school admissions!

so far Nutrition seems to be numero uno:laugh:

anyone know some other majors other than the HARD SCIENCES(bio, chem, biochem, BME, ECT.) that will give me a positive edge on pharmacy school admissions!

You may want to know that adcoms do look at what you took in addition to your GPA. Often, it can be what classes you took, not how well you did in classes that pertain very little to the prereqs.

You may be asked and should be prepared to answer why you didn't take any upper division science classes other than the prereqs.

Good luck.

You might have to spend extra time taking the pre-req on top of your major courses if you were to major in Human Development and Family Science. I don't think it would make that big of a difference in term of GPA because you still have to take the same pre-req, and you still have to take GECs. Don't be afraid of harder science courses, they can only help you in pharmacy school. That being said, I think you should major in something that you're interested in. That way, you can learn and take away something from it instead of doing it because you have to. If I could go back in time, I probably would have majored in psychology or business.

IT may seem as if i only want to major in nutrition because it is easier than the generic science majors but thats not the case. Nutrition is one of the only natural science majors that actually really interest me. I feel like people are PRESSURED TO major in the usual science majors but what if you have no DESIRE to take those classes and have no interest? :eek:

IT may seem as if i only want to major in nutrition because it is easier than the generic science majors but thats not the case. Nutrition is one of the only natural science majors that actually really interest me. I feel like people are PRESSURED TO major in the usual science majors but what if you have no DESIRE to take those classes and have no interest? :eek:

It really doesn't matter as long as you finish the pre-reqs. Majoring in biology, biochem, etc. might help with some of the pharmacy curriculum, but the professors are not going to expect you to know that stuff yet. Getting a more non-traditional degree may help you stand out more also.

If you're trying to get into UT COP, you should know that pharm experience and interest/passion for pharmacy is more important to them than grades.

how is CLS, is it hard? what kinda classes do you take?

lol.
1st major: Art History
2nd major: General Studies

Total:
No Bachelors Degree.

It seems to me that many of the students in my class have non-science based degrees... I'd attribute it to diversity, but who knows? Why not go after a degree that might enhance an aspect of pharmacy-life that deals with communication, business, or marketing (etc)?

Are you applying to schools that have many applicants with a bachelors?

how is CLS, is it hard? what kinda classes do you take?

Undergrad was harder than the CLS program, in my opinion. In college, we took 8 hrs gen chem, 8 hrs organic chem, 3 hrs biochem, 4 hrs analytical chem, 17 hrs microbiology/immunology, and a choice between medical mycology or animal virology.

In the CLS program, I thought the material was easier but there was A LOT. We sat in lectures for 8 hours a day the first three months (didactic). During rotations, we worked in the lab 8 hours a day M-Th. On Fridays, we had management and education lectures (8 hours). The different lab tests we learned about are urinalysis/body fluids, hematology, general chemistry, clinical or special chemistry, blood bank, immunology, microbiology (bacteriology, virology, parasitology, mycology). We also touched a little on some of the anatomic pathology (cytogenetics and molecular but not histology/cytology/gross pathology).

We also had to do a research project for one of the labs in the hospital. For instance, the micro lab wanted to switch methodologies for testing C. diff in stool specimens. I did a comparison between the current methodology and a new methodology they were considering. We had to write a proposal, paper, and present a poster to the lab staff.

The great thing about CLS is that you can find a job anywhere, anytime in the country. There is a universal shortage of lab techs in this country. Unfortunately, the general public (and most health professionals even) do not know that lab techs exist. Most believe that the phlebotomist (HS diploma) does the testing or that all we do is push buttons on instruments. Of course this is not true.

so what are yalls pre-pharm majors

B.S. Molecular Biology...I think it helped quite a bit too since there were quite a few high level science courses to take such as Recombinant gene technology, developmental bio, DNA fingerprinting and cloning, advanced genetics, etc...as well as a senior research project. It really prepared me well for my career in research!