magnesium versus sulfur more easily oxidized

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicinegoal

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

In answering the question #40 of the BR General Chem Atomic Theory chapter, it asks which element is oxidized most easily between sulfur, magnesium, boron, and argon. I'm confused because I was debating b/w Mg and S--I know the electronic configuration of Mg is 1s^2 2s^2 2p^6 3s^2, and the electronic config of S is 1s^2 2s^2 2p^6 3s^2 3p^4; the answer was Mg, but I thought it was S, since if it lost an electron it would have its p orbitals half filled, which is more favorable than if Mg lost an electron, where it would have an s orbital half filled--does the half-filling of p orbitals take precedence over the half filling of the s orbitals? On the other hand, I know that Zeff for S is +4, whereas its only +2 for Mg, meaning that Mg would be the answer..

Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

I would go with Zeffective in this one. The reason I say that is because when I reviewed with Kaplan it said in the book that Zeffective can be used to explain almost all chemical phenomena. From my biochemistry standpoint and inorganic professor I would rely on Zeffective.

Just thinking about it qualitatively: Mg is a metal and likes to lose e-; S is in the same group as O and likes to gain e-. Also, Mg doesn't usually lose just one e-...that's why you always see Mg^+2.