made a mistake on personal statement that i saw after submitting - please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iccebreaker

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I submitted my personal statement after having written the document in microsoft word. I copied then pasted the document to the AMCAS application, and after re-reading it. I submitted. When I go to look at everything after submission, it deleted my last 4 letters of my personal statement.... and it now ends on the word "anal" instead of "analysis."

I am freaking out so much, heart racing a million miles per hour. What do I do? What can I do? Is it a big deal?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I submitted my personal statement after having written the document in microsoft word. I copied then pasted the document to the AMCAS application, and after re-reading it. I submitted. When I go to look at everything after submission, it deleted my last 4 letters of my personal statement.... and it now ends on the word "anal" instead of "analysis."

I am freaking out so much, heart racing a million miles per hour. What do I do? What can I do? Is it a big deal?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Are you a troll

Members don't see this ad :)
No I am not! That's why I'm freaking out!!!!!

Additional info: I'm finding out it is quite common that AMCAS adds some spaces themselves to your personal statement, so if you are risking it if you are at the max word count (like me)

:( :(

In Context Final Sentence--> "Cultivating relationships built on trust and an enduring work ethic gave me an avenue to pursue my ultimate desire, medicine with the highest level of clinical care and anal"

Yeah this is funny and all, but with a 504 mcat and 3.8 GPA, I needed a flawless rest of my app :( ;( FML

In Context Final Sentence--> "Cultivating relationships built on trust and an enduring work ethic gave me an avenue to pursue my ultimate desire, medicine with the highest level of clinical care and anal"

Yeah this is funny and all, but with a 504 mcat and 3.8 GPA, I needed a flawless rest of my app :( ;( FML
Oh my god I'm so sorry about this! So unlucky. I'm sure they'll understand, and there's nothing you can do about it anyways at this point, so I'd just try to forget about it if I were you

Nice improvement on the MCAT btw

Oh my god I'm so sorry about this! So unlucky. I'm sure they'll understand, and there's nothing you can do about it anyways at this point, so I'd just try to forget about it if I were you

Nice improvement on the MCAT btw

Thanks! I wouldn't be worried at all if it wasn't an inappropriate word for an application! Are you sure they would understand or just throw out the app being insulted?

Thanks! I wouldn't be worried at all if it wasn't an inappropriate word for an application! Are you sure they would understand or just throw out the app being insulted?
They'll probably have a quick chuckle, followed by looking at the rest of your app as if nothing happened. There aren't many words that start with "anal," so I'm sure they'll figure out what you meant almost immediately

Reactions: 1 users

hopefully their chuckles will brighten their dreary reading marathons and put them into better moods! just trust and hope your app comes across forgiving adcoms with a sense of humor :)

Reactions: 2 users
Omg this is crazy! And yes AMCAS has different spacing. Which is why EVERYONE should PRINT their application a few times to look at it on paper, before submitting.

Nothing you can do now but hope adcoms assume it's a mistake and judge lightly.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You'll be fine!!! I had embarrassing mistakes I realized after I was reading my app in preparation for interviews, and I still got in!

As an example: for one school I said I liked that they had high pass/pass/fail grading system (lulwut) but turns out they had changed the system a few years ago to be just pass/fail. Oops my b. Clearly showed I hadn't researched the school (a top school, mind you), but I still got an interview!

It is very obvious that the last word is supposed to be analysis and that it was a spacing issue. Adcoms will have a chuckle and will just read the rest of your app as if nothing happened. Seriously relaxxxxxx it's gonna be fine!!! There's a good deal of room for such errors in this process.

So I just called the admissions officer at my #1 school and they said that it usually isn't a big deal at all, but that they would look into it and let me know via e-mail. bad move? or good idea?

"...and after breeding the transgenic mice I took them back to the lab for anal"

All joking aside, there's nothing you can do about it. To everyone else, stop reviewing your applications after you've submitted. Nothing good will ever come from it.

Reactions: 3 users