Macs in Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DelAGator

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found my MAc helpful in undergrad, but I am worried if most medical schools have programs that can not run on my powerbook. I have MSOffice suite and safari as a browser, do you think this will be a problem? Should I buy a DELL

Members don't see this ad.

DelAGator said:
I found my MAc helpful in undergrad, but I am worried if most medical schools have programs that can not run on my powerbook. I have MSOffice suite and safari as a browser, do you think this will be a problem? Should I buy a DELL

I love my powerbook!

DelAGator said:
I love my powerbook!

me too :thumbup:

i could care less what my school requires or what software doesn't work on mac... i refuse to own or use pc's. they're complete garbarge :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
_J_ said:
me too :thumbup:

i could care less what my school requires or what software doesn't work on mac... i refuse to own or use pc's. they're complete garbarge :thumbdown:

I dont want to go to the dark side.....
Powerbooks rule! +pissed+

DelAGator said:

omg its 3:15am
Happy Father's day to my dad Dr. Wilfredo Aqui MD Radiologist
btw. Powerbooks still rule!

DelAGator said:

I agree with you.

Everyday I look at my Powerbook and think, "Wow, I have a Powerbook. That is so awesome. I am so happy."

stick with the mac...macs look sexy :love:

and the new os x tiger is supposed to be so hot it'll make you orgasm upon use

Apple computers rule.

I use only Macs - they are number one. The reason that most graphics and video (heavy data load) users use Macs is that they rule - they eat data for breakfast.

The vast majority of PC functions can now be run on Macs. The few that cannot can usually be put through the crappy "Virtual PC" program.

Macs are sexy. Macs move fast. Macs kick a$$ and take names.

Stick with Apple...

DelAGator said:

Hi there,
Most files that you may need or use are Powerpoint and Word with an occasional Excel file. Your MAC should be fine since you have MS Office already. Many of my classmates did very well with their MACs.

njbmd :)

Unless you go to a school that requires a uniform system for testing (like Case) it couldn't matter less. I've heard lots of arguments from the PC community about programs that apparently don't have a Mac equivalent which are required for med school, but have yet to get any concrete examples or even names of such programs. That's not to say they don't exist, but rather to say that these programs probably don't play such a huge role in the curriculum.

Stick with your mac dude.

DelAGator said:

Dude, you're not gettin' a Dell. Seriously, they're machines that will maybe last you a year and a half before some major component flips out or the thing structurally falls apart. If you do want to go PC, get an IBM thinkpad. They're solid machines in a lot of ways and they're tough.

i <3 my apple! my ibook hasn't crashed in the past two years thanks to system 10.2.8. have had absolutely no problems running what i've needed on it throughout med school. AND i can hook it up to my pocket pc for the wards thanks to that crappy virtual pc program... not that i need a pocket pc but there aren't many widely used mac platform pocket computers... yet...

MDgonnabe said:
i <3 my apple! my ibook hasn't crashed in the past two years thanks to system 10.2.8. have had absolutely no problems running what i've needed on it throughout med school. AND i can hook it up to my pocket pc for the wards thanks to that crappy virtual pc program... not that i need a pocket pc but there aren't many widely used mac platform pocket computers... yet...

Isn't there a patch available so I can run the HP Ipaq or Dell Axim? I hate Virtual PC. Since I carry my Powerbook almost everywhere, why would I need a Pocket PC? Is it required during clinical rotations in some medical schools?

nockamura said:
You can get pocketmac. That will run most PDA's and blackberries. http://www.pocketmac.net/

i tried it. wasn't happy with it. had a hard time getting skyscape .exe programs to transfer. they really need a true pocket mac device, and tons of programs on said platform. like... now. :)

why do i like having a pocket pc on the wards? with expanded memory, i have an entire med student library in my white coat pocket to read from during downtime (as opposed to lugging around tons of books for said readings). it's well worth the investment imo.

MDgonnabe said:
they really need a true pocket mac device, and tons of programs on said platform. like... now. :)

They did. It was called the Newton.

Larsitron said:
They did. It was called the Newton.

I think if they can modify the ipods to have an input capability, wouldn't that be similiar to a PDA?

drbludevil said:
I think if they can modify the ipods to have an input capability, wouldn't that be similiar to a PDA?

Its really the next logical step, but the question is how to do it. Right now, you can use the iPod to view a calendar or view contacts, but you can't input them on the iPod itself. This is partially because it would require the use of a more sensitive touch screen that could potentially limit the durability (which is pretty good right now) of the iPod. Plus, making the screen large enough to be serviceable would be a challenge as it would increase the size of the iPod to something less manageable than it currently is.