Mac Health Sci

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yaowang

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what you guys think of McMaster's undergrad Health Sci program. I know it's a long way until medical school but choosing an undergrad where you feel comfortable enough to succeed is a important part of the entire journey.

Members don't see this ad.

yaowang said:
I was wondering what you guys think of McMaster's undergrad Health Sci program. I know it's a long way until medical school but choosing an undergrad where you feel comfortable enough to succeed is a important part of the entire journey.

Very important, as for Health Sci at Mac, I don't know.

hi there

um as for the Health Sciences Undergraduate program

it a very special undergraduate program as such that the class sizes are very very small, and the way they teach is more like the way MBA classes are taught

they usually teach through seminar and smaller groups.

not there are good and bad things about this

goods are - very different program u learn about health care and the parts of the science aspects throught out

as well Mcmaster is amazing for Health sciences in general u can't go wrong there right

its good cause all the individuals who enter in that program usually have quite high marks and are willing to do a greuling supplementary application for entry

now as for the negative (not so much negative I guess but jsut cons)

the program is unconventional so chances are you will have tons of free time
to do work on your own "self directed learning as they call it I think"

so if you are one of those people that love to take correspondance courses or just great at time management this is probably good

with that in mind most people in 1st year undergrad its more of a transitional year, and the statistic is that marks go down cause marking systems are different from High school to High school

and I guess another con is that there's not much flexibility as in if you were to do a degree in Biochemistry chances are that you might be able to do a minor in psychology , or anyother displine

As well it should be noted that being in Mcmaster's Health Sciences Program does not give you an edge when it comes to Medical School at Mcmaster

on avergae there are always 4000+ applicants for Mac's med school
for less than 150 spots

I guess it all depends on what you really want

I suggest you do research on what this program really is, ie what coruses u will take, not just in first year but latter

ie since its health related will u take more Health related courese ie ethics, and health systems, or epidemology and community heatth

or will u take more science coueses like pharmacology, physiology, and anatomy

or maybe a mix

and try to ask about flexibility of the program

hope I gave the right info

XD
have fun