MAC and ERAS-copying from word and spacing issues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hidoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I looked at the previous forum posts and did not find anything specific to using word in mac when creating the PS and CV. Does this make a difference in terms of when you copy from word into ERAS--does it affect spacing?

aPD also had listed margins for approximating a 1-pg PS; are there any changes that would be expected if you were using a mac.

if there is a link or sticky or if anyone wants to repeat some info, that would be helpful for ERAS apps!

tahnks:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

anyone?

or does someone have a link that addresses this somewhere. ERAS' tutorials do not address font/spacing/word or notepad issues. thanks

I wouldn't copy from word. In either a Mac or Windows it could cause formatting issues. I would edit it it to almost completion, then put it in notepad and double check it there. Copy and paste from there where there is no fancy formatting. Safest way.

I wouldn't copy from word. In either a Mac or Windows it could cause formatting issues. I would edit it it to almost completion, then put it in notepad and double check it there. Copy and paste from there where there is no fancy formatting. Safest way.

Do this. Edit it completely then copy/paste into TextEdit and adjust formatting there as needed before uploading. Or just save it as a .txt file in Word although that's not a straightforward text file and can still get a little hosed.

I don't understand why ERAS can't handle .doc files though. Or perhaps .pdf if compatibility is an issue (any program can save a doc as a PDF).

Thanks! the replies are very helpful.

a follow-up question is if i were to submit and certify my application tonight (friday) would anything happen in the "ERAS WORLD" over the weekend in terms of uploading the USMLE transcript and things of that nature.

Just trying to figure out how long it takes them to process everything so that the whole app is available to programs for downloading.... I know certain steps take a few business days?

Thanks! the replies are very helpful.

a follow-up question is if i were to submit and certify my application tonight (friday) would anything happen in the "ERAS WORLD" over the weekend in terms of uploading the USMLE transcript and things of that nature.

Just trying to figure out how long it takes them to process everything so that the whole app is available to programs for downloading.... I know certain steps take a few business days?

You probably already know this, but this should have been done 4-6 weeks ago at a minimum.

Do it now...seriously...right! f-bombin'! now!. WTH have you been doing/waiting for the past 4 months (since you can start doing stuff on ERAS in July)?

How are you doing LOR-wise? Because that's really going to be your rate-limiting step if it's not already taken care of.