MA in Applied Economics or Healthcare Economics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DareDevil929x

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any tangible benefits in receiving a 1-year Masters in Applied Economics or Masters in Healthcare Economics as a practicing physician (but getting the degree prior to entering medical school?) Probably none, I assume? As one lacking in any economics/business knowledge, I am considering the masters mostly for personal enrichment and fascination with the field. However, since personal enrichment comes with a high price tag, I was wondering if there is any obvious relevance/applicability in the field of medicine/healthcare itself, whether it's applying principles learned in a small private practice, a large academic center, or mid-sized community hospital in an urban area? I believe that most of you will steer me away from this option as the costs (both literal and figurative) most likely outweigh the benefits.

Any tangible benefits to an MHA or equivalent masters as a practicing physician? I assume it can help in moving up the hospital chain, but not necessarily in a small private practice? I am steering away from this option as most programs are 2 years long and I am in my mid-20s and ready to go to medical school within a year or two, rather than two years or three.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think either of these degrees would help in private practice and probably not in a hospital either ( might have some usefulness, but I am guessing that an MHA would be more useful than an economics degree at a hospital).