M3 wondering about neurosurgery chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iatro

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Wondering what you believe my chances of matching neurosurgery are. I am currently an M3 finishing up the clinical year. I have a step 1 with 259. I have almost all honors in third year clerkships. I have no research and minimal ECs. This is obviously a concern if I want to get a nsgy spot.

Question 1: how do I maximize my chances of matching this year? Assuming I could crush away sub-internships and possibly push through a few case studies in nsgy would I have a chance this year?

Question 2: I have been accepted to a year out research fellowship with stipend, which would start this summer if I accepted. However, I would be working with an orthopedics department at an outside institution. I could not find any year out opportunities for neurosurgery. My home nsgy department is unwilling to financially support a student for a year. The program I was accepted to is designed for students interested in orthopedics. Due to the lack of similar opportunities in nsgy I have pursued this option and need to decide whether to accept. If I had a productive research year in orthopedics (mostly clinical research) would this contribute in a deeply meaningful way towards a successful nsgy application in the future? Or would it take a borderline application (which is where I think I currently am) and possibly push it over the edge? Or, would nsgy programs look at it as strange or a "red flag"?

Question 3: Does anyone know of paid research opportunities in nsgy for a year out? Feel free to PM

Question 4: I have an opportunity to potentially take a research year performing basic science research with a top neurologist in academia. Would this be something worth pursuing to improve an application for nsgy applications? (more so than the ortho research)

Thanks SDN

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have great board scores and grades and this will get your foot in a lot of places. Definitely getting some publications and research to correct this weakness in our application is going to greatly help your chances, as will strong letters from away rotations. Does your nsg program have any mentors with whom you could do some clinical research? Or does your med school's neuroscience department need some eager students to hang out in the lab? If I were you I wouldn't do a year-long research program unless you really want to do basic science research and then only if it was for the NIH.

There are some mentors in my department I am reaching out to.

In terms of taking the research year, thoughts on working with a reputable PI in the basic sciences for a year outside of NIH/an organized program (+/- salaried). Without the official title it surely looks worse on paper, however if I put in a productive year possibly it will still be good? Also, I am quite interested in learning more about basic neuroscience research before finishing medical school and starting residency.

Thanks for the input.

There are some mentors in my department I am reaching out to.

In terms of taking the research year, thoughts on working with a reputable PI in the basic sciences for a year outside of NIH/an organized program (+/- salaried). Without the official title it surely looks worse on paper, however if I put in a productive year possibly it will still be good? Also, I am quite interested in learning more about basic neuroscience research before finishing medical school and starting residency.

Thanks for the input.

Although that wouldn't be my choice if that's what you really want to do then do it! Have you looked at Neurosurgery Hub ?