M3 trying to find out how to get more PM&R exposure without a home program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcrobbit

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

M3 here who's been Strongly thinking about PM&R since the middle of 2nd year but I'm wondering how people specifically without a home program at a school who honed in on PM&R later in med school got exposure to the field outside of away rotations? It just seems like if I were to do 2-3 aways during early 4th year (no electives possible during 3rd year), that my "path" would look rushed. I just didn't find out about the field until med school though, so I didn't have the time to get involved with the field during the first two years of Med school :(

For general info, I'm at a mid teir US MD school, no red flags, Step 1 219. Clinicals are going well so far, evaluations have been nice to read.

I didn't find out about PM&R until mid way through my 3rd year of medical...and that is a common occurrence. You're ahead of the game!

Program directors don't care when you find out about the specialty. They know that it's obscure. They know that there are only 80ish programs in the country and hundreds of med schools. They are more focused on taking good applicants passionate about the specialty.

Relax...you are fine.

Last edited:
Some don't find out how awesome PM&R is until after they've matched to another specialty...

You'll be fine, your path will be like many who came before you

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the same boat, except that I am a DO student. Without a home program, would an elective rotation with an anesthesiologist certified in interventional pain medicine (associated with my school) be an appropriate substitute to do to get a rec letter from? Or should I bust out the phonebook and just call a random practicing physiatrist to try to shadow? I would imagine the latter would be a pain the rear to schedule.

Yes you have to put some effort into it. Most students do not go to a school with a home PMR program. Try to find some good connections: if you home program has ortho or neurology, those doctors usually know some of the local physiatrists and may be able to help you out. You can wait for VSAS, but just make sure you have a rotation early on in the summer to get a rec letter completed in time.

I'm in the same boat, except that I am a DO student. Without a home program, would an elective rotation with an anesthesiologist certified in interventional pain medicine (associated with my school) be an appropriate substitute to do to get a rec letter from? Or should I bust out the phonebook and just call a random practicing physiatrist to try to shadow? I would imagine the latter would be a pain the rear to schedule.

I personally rotated at Spaulding, they allow shadowers and what not, and it was rather simple to set up. Why not try that. Are you trying to rotate in PMR or in interventional pain? If you are trying to get into PMR then you should rotate in PMR first and foremost. If you are a resident and want to do pain then I would try to shadow/rotate with someone in pain

My home institution didn't have PM&R either. I literally emailed random residents and people at a nearby institution until I found the coordinator who helped set up some shadowing opportunities for me. Another good resource is alumni or recent graduates from your school that have gone into PM&R. I emailed a couple of them and they were really helpful and encouraging.

I personally rotated at Spaulding, they allow shadowers and what not, and it was rather simple to set up. Why not try that. Are you trying to rotate in PMR or in interventional pain? If you are trying to get into PMR then you should rotate in PMR first and foremost. If you are a resident and want to do pain then I would try to shadow/rotate with someone in pain
I'm trying to do PM&R, but since my state doesn't have a program I didn't know if the anesthesiologist thing would be appropriate for a rotation. I ended up emailing random practicing physiatrists and got a rotation set up so I can at least have had some exposure prior to my auditions which will be 4th year.

Sounds like you are set up then. I wouldn't substitute PMR for anesthesia, but it sounds like you will have several rotations set up before applying for residency already.