M3 thinking about IR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CECC110

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

M3 in the middle of the year here in the process of trying to rule in/out specialties. I'm looking for some honest answers, probably a yes/no would suffice, though I'd love to hear more. Please feel free to elaborate as much or as little as you'd like, and I promise I wouldn't take any offense to brutal honesty with even as much as "no chance."

I scored 228 on Step 1. If I am interested in pursuing IR, and I planned on taking a research year and doing research/making connections in the field, and had an improved Step 2 score, would I have a shot at making this a reality? I do think that I'm significantly less interested in a DR practice compared to doing IR procedures with the hope of a more clinician-centric focus, which the field seems to be headed towards, if that helps clarify what possible routes are realistically open for me.

Members don't see this ad.

Integrated IR would be really hard if not impossible.

I suggest applying DR with ESIR and then go to a 1 year fellowship.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all,

M3 in the middle of the year here in the process of trying to rule in/out specialties. I'm looking for some honest answers, probably a yes/no would suffice, though I'd love to hear more. Please feel free to elaborate as much or as little as you'd like, and I promise I wouldn't take any offense to brutal honesty with even as much as "no chance."

I scored 228 on Step 1. If I am interested in pursuing IR, and I planned on taking a research year and doing research/making connections in the field, and had an improved Step 2 score, would I have a shot at making this a reality? I do think that I'm significantly less interested in a DR practice compared to doing IR procedures with the hope of a more clinician-centric focus, which the field seems to be headed towards, if that helps clarify what possible routes are realistically open for me.

Honestly, if DR/IR stays this competitive, you have virtually no chance. It's just too competitive. The applicants I have seen at our program, sneaking a peek at applications on interview day over the Chief's unknowing shoulders, have been 250-270 step 1 on every single application.

I would look for solid DR programs that have a good IR experience, and can network you to a good fellowship. Medium to large sized programs are the best route. Make sure they have ESIR.

When you get into residency, start doing IR research, but keep an open mind. Learn from your rotations, and try to enjoy them. You might end up liking something else.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard that Integrated IR interviewee Step 1 is in the 250-270 range too. So I wouldn’t have too much plans on doing that with a 228.

228 will have no problems matching mid-tier DR. Don’t expect top DR interviews (MGH, UCSF, BWH, NYU, etc)

Have you looked into vascular surgery????

I heard that Integrated IR interviewee Step 1 is in the 250-270 range too. So I wouldn’t have too much plans on doing that with a 228.

228 will have no problems matching mid-tier DR. Don’t expect top DR interviews (MGH, UCSF, BWH, NYU, etc)

If DR w/ ESIR is my most viable path, I'd gladly pursue that, but my concern would be that with a 228, would I actually be a reasonable candidate for mid-tier/academic programs that you mention, that have ESIR? I'm wondering since the average Radiology step score seems to be 241 from the previous year - or would even a mid-tier DR program be possible for me only after taking a year of research?

I have not looked much into vascular surgery, but my understanding (could be very wrong here) was that its highly competitive? Even general surgery averages tend to be in the low 230s, so I figured vascular would be out of the cards for me...

I will never understand the "I'm interested in IR" getting recommended "what about vascular surgery?" The overlap is incredibly minimal.

Beyond that, strictly from a application standpoint, most programs have hard 230+ step 1 cut-offs. Certainly not impossible with a 228, but even with 3-5 vascular surgery specific LOR and good research, most would still recommend applying to GS as backup.

I will never understand the "I'm interested in IR" getting recommended "what about vascular surgery?" The overlap is incredibly minimal.

Beyond that, strictly from a application standpoint, most programs have hard 230+ step 1 cut-offs. Certainly not impossible with a 228, but even with 3-5 vascular surgery specific LOR and good research, most would still recommend applying to GS as backup.

Vascular surgery applications are down this year, conincidentally Rads applications is up.

Given the degree of competitiveness of IR, his chance of making VS is higher than making intergrated IR.

You are right though that vascular surgery practice is quite different from IR. OP might as well consider other surgical fields.

Vascular surgery applications are down this year, conincidentally Rads applications is up.

Given the degree of competitiveness of IR, his chance of making VS is higher than making intergrated IR.

You are right though that vascular surgery practice is quite different from IR. OP might as well consider other surgical fields.

0+5 vascular apps are down this year? Can you tell us how much down this year? asking as future 0+5 VS applicant >.'>

0+5 vascular apps are down this year? Can you tell us how much down this year? asking as future 0+5 VS applicant >.'>

You can find this in the ERAS data. You cannot going wrong applying as a VS if PAD is your thing.

You can find this in the ERAS data. You cannot going wrong applying as a VS if PAD is your thing.

I definitely cannot find the data for how many total students are applying for vascular this year... probably will find out when Charting Outcomes 2018 comes out. Last year 70 US seniors applied for 60 positions offered.

Vascular surgery (integrated) ERAS 2017 -> 2018 (as of 10/15 of each year)
USG applicants: 91 -> 76
IMG applicants: 67 -> 55

I definitely cannot find the data for how many total students are applying for vascular this year... probably will find out when Charting Outcomes 2018 comes out. Last year 70 US seniors applied for 60 positions offered.

Note that last year there were 91 USGs in ERAS data and 70 US seniors in NRMP data, meaning either there were 21 USG applicants who were either Canadian, DO, prior US MD graduate, US MD senior who did not receive any interviews, or US MD senior who decided to not enter the Match or rank any vascular programs they interviewed at.

Vascular surgery (integrated) ERAS 2017 -> 2018 (as of 10/15 of each year)
USG applicants: 91 -> 76
IMG applicants: 67 -> 55

Note that last year there were 91 USGs in ERAS data and 70 US seniors in NRMP data, meaning either there were 21 USG applicants who were either Canadian, DO, prior US MD graduate, US MD senior who did not receive any interviews, or US MD senior who decided to not enter the Match or rank any vascular programs they interviewed at.

Thanks! All in all, that is a significant drop in applicants this year compared to the 2017 match.