M3, how to improve CV for psychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CoolNerd

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an M3 with a 4.0 GPA first two years of med school, 256 on Step 1, and some volunteer work. I don't have any research (yet hopefully I can do some M4 year but idk if that will even help me).

I'm interested in going to a competitive psych program and I want to know what I can do to improve my CV and application. I am doing a couples match with my fiance who also is interested in psych but doesn't plan on attending a competitive program. Tips?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you are in a good spot to match well in psychiatry. If you want, you can ask over in the Psychiatry sub-forum.

Volunteer work and extra-curriculars (or lack thereof) are not important for matching, and most programs probably ignore this section of the application. Research can really help you and is necessary in certain conpetitive specialties, but for psychiatry you can probably match very well on the basis of your step 1 alone.

0/10 troll thread

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A lot will depend on how competitive your fiance is.

0/10 troll thread

Why troll? OP may have good stats, but he wants a TOP psych program plus a couples match. Poor guy's gonna need all the help he can get.

Reactions: 1 user
If you are couple's matching and your fiance doesn't want to go to a competitive program then whats the issue with your application right now? You're not gonna need research to go to a non-competitive program.

If you're just trying to match to two different programs in the same city (Mass Gen + UMass for example) then I would definitely look for research and volunteering to boost the app. But if you're couple's matching somewhere non-competitive then there really isn't any need unless its something you want to do for personal experience