M3 - Becoming a better PRS applicant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

decentdude

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently an M3 and have been in love with plastics since pre-med. I recently got my step 1 score back at 233. I recognize this is neither a "good" nor "bad" score for PRS. I only have 1 pub so far, its a major pub and I'm first author. My previous background is engineering with several years of working experience.

I'm trying my best to make some connections with plastic surgeons but some simply aren't replying to my emails. I've been working with a group of plastic surgeons doing research but I'm afraid that may never materialize.

Any advice on how to become a better applicant? Anything I can do on my clinical rotations during M3 year? I know the obvious things like being a team player, honoring rotations, and making connections. But I can't seem to make any real connections, my school doesn't have a plastics department so I'm relying on emails. Any advice on how to offset my low-by-PRS-standards 233 Step 1 score and become a better applicant would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I think the most straight forward solution would be to crush Step 2 and work your tail off on 3-4 sub-I's. Arrive early, stay late, read constantly, be nice to everyone, and never say no to anything. Be the hardest working sub-I the program had all season and whatever score you made on step 1 will likely not matter in the end.

I'm currently an M3 and have been in love with plastics since pre-med. I recently got my step 1 score back at 233. I recognize this is neither a "good" nor "bad" score for PRS. I only have 1 pub so far, its a major pub and I'm first author. My previous background is engineering with several years of working experience.

I'm trying my best to make some connections with plastic surgeons but some simply aren't replying to my emails. I've been working with a group of plastic surgeons doing research but I'm afraid that may never materialize.

Any advice on how to become a better applicant? Anything I can do on my clinical rotations during M3 year? I know the obvious things like being a team player, honoring rotations, and making connections. But I can't seem to make any real connections, my school doesn't have a plastics department so I'm relying on emails. Any advice on how to offset my low-by-PRS-standards 233 Step 1 score and become a better applicant would be appreciated.

There are several things you can do - the questions is whether you have sufficient time by next September to turn your application around. 1. if you have time and knowledge, get a higher step 2 score - >245
2. increase your publications - this is very hard to do in this time frame but with realistic goals, can be achieved - this means abstracts/oral presentations/case reports. 3. Do a stellar job with your Sub-Is and get amazing letters and people willing to pick up the phone to recommend you. If you are looking for a research mentor, email me: [email protected]. I am an Assistant Clinical Professor in Plastic Surgery and have successfully mentored several medical students and junior residents . Good luck.

Last edited: