Lying on VMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
she'll get caught one day....

in a LIE!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I also have no sympathy for anyone who does this. They are probably the same people who end up unemployed, behind on their student loans, and convinced that life is crapping on them.

In my experience, granted that these people aren't stupid (stupid liars don't go very far) the conniving liars are the ones you tend to get ahead in life, and it lasts for a looooong time. They only get caught when they're unlucky. They're prob the first ones with jobs that pay well enough, and totally smug about it too. Such is life. I used to get bitter about this kind of stuff all the time, but nowadays I just find myself amused. But then again I think vet school has sucked all emotion out of me so that might be it too.

That's not necessarily a lie. Most, and potentially all states allow a person under a certain age (under 24 seems common) to be a resident "for tuition purposes" if one or both of their parents meet the residency requirements, even if the kid never set foot in that state. It's a great provision that protects the student from potentially losing any chance of residency (from any state) because their parents moved when the kid was in college but the state the kid goes to college in won't grant residency because they were there "for educational purposes". Sure, it will give a few applicants an advantage of having options, but more importantly it protects the few that would lose all opportunity for in-state status. Worrying about the few with dual residency is just a waste of time; if the rules are set to allow it jealousy won't help!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: Yep, and you can only claim one state of residency on the VMCAS so it's not like someone with 4 parents can claim 5 states either.

In my experience, granted that these people aren't stupid (stupid liars don't go very far) the conniving liars are the ones you tend to get ahead in life, and it lasts for a looooong time. They only get caught when they're unlucky. They're prob the first ones with jobs that pay well enough, and totally smug about it too. Such is life. I used to get bitter about this kind of stuff all the time, but nowadays I just find myself amused. But then again I think vet school has sucked all emotion out of me so that might be it too.
I agree with your assessment of the type of person who lies and schemes to get ahead in life. I would add that they usually don't feel badly about how they are, and rather feel that their actions are justified by the circumstances. I also used to rage at the injustice that often "bad" people do not get what is coming to them. Now though I can see the bigger picture. While their lives seem to have benefited from their actions, true happiness and contentment can not come from living this type of life. There are many ways to live a meaningful life-I certainly have no secret insight, but I do know that I have to live inside my own head and justify my actions to myself. I can't imagine how horrible it must be to have to look honestly at yourself and realize that you're a fraud, a liar, an unethical being etc...I personally couldn't take it. So now instead of feeling mad or frustrated, I just feel sad for them. And I sleep very well at night.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know of a few applicants who lied about their residency on their application. For example, their parents or friends live in a state with a vet school or another vet school that they are more likely to get into that is not the state they are currently residing in (and have never resided in or not been for a few years).

Minnerbelle has already answered, but this isn't lying; it's simply the way residency laws work. For example, I'm military and my home residency is technically Texas, where we lived before my dad joined and we were stationed in NC. But I've been in NC for seven years now, so I'm also very securely an in-state resident. I could have technically applied to both NCSU and A&M and been well within legal residency laws, no lying involved.

Reviving this thread - I'm in a similar situation - a fellow applicant lied about certain experiences (said she was a member of clubs that she wasn't, lied about her shadowing hours) - intentionally. Part of me wants to let the schools know - I work my butt off juggling my schedule and she takes 2 classes, works 2 days a week, and that's it. I really don't want to be that person, but at the same time I'm a firm believer in being truthful and working hard to get what you get...so what do you all think about whistleblowing? I'd like to think it will catch up with her somehow, but I just really don't think she should get away with it.

Reviving this thread - I'm in a similar situation - a fellow applicant lied about certain experiences (said she was a member of clubs that she wasn't, lied about her shadowing hours) - intentionally. Part of me wants to let the schools know - I work my butt off juggling my schedule and she takes 2 classes, works 2 days a week, and that's it. I really don't want to be that person, but at the same time I'm a firm believer in being truthful and working hard to get what you get...so what do you all think about whistleblowing? I'd like to think it will catch up with her somehow, but I just really don't think she should get away with it.

I think you have to follow your conscience.

But I would caution you to be 120% sure about what you're alleging. If it turns out you're wrong - even partly - you will look worse than she will (and that's probably justified, because it will look like you were trying to undermine another candidate to help your own chances). Maybe she is a member of these clubs but just doesn't participate - a member 'technically'. I had a bunch of clubs in vet school where I technically was on their membership list but never had time for their activities. Ditto shadowing hours - take a step back and ask yourself if you're objectively certain what you are asserting. Do some imaginative thinking and ask yourself "is there a way I could be wrong about this?"

Very few people, I think, are capable of being that objective.

I personally would just remember her name (so I could avoid working with her in the future), and I'd trust that eventually karma will take care of the problem. But if you can't sleep at night, then you have to do what you have to do. Just be really damn certain you're correct.

Reactions: 8 users

For the clubs, I don't think it's a really big deal. For most part, the membership criteria is questionable. She might've been a member one year and not as involved the other.

As for the shadowing hours, to me, it really depends on what you want the schools to think about you. Regardless if you think it's wrong or not (and lying is definitely wrong), when you contact these schools you won't be able to take it back. The school will have a negative impression on her and a skewed impression of you.

Lastly, I really don't think you should be taking a "holier than thou" vibe against her. You have a really busy schedule and she takes 2 classes and works 2 days a week, but you don't know what else she's struggling with. Maybe she's taking care of a sick loved one, or is going through a lot of health problems. Or maybe she wanted to take a semester and relax because last semester she was so stressed she became suicidal (that's happened to me before, it sucks). You really can't say that you work harder than her, because you don't know ALL of the circumstances.

One piece of advice my mom used to tell me when I used to have a classmate cheat on her tests. "Don't spend so much time trying to catch your classmate cheating that you forget to take your own exam." Beef up your application and keep pushing through- you can do this.

Reactions: 5 users

i honestly wouldn't recommend it. i completely agree with you that its wrong, but I think even if you are correct vet schools wouldn't appreciate interference with another applicant. most schools have their own vetting process when it comes to applications and a lot of them even interview individual references from the letters of recommendation. i know its frustrating, but i think even if you are 100% correct about your allegations it will end up hurting your application in the long run. just food for thought though, I'm not positive how an admissions department would react to information like that.

Reactions: 1 user
My old boss contacted the head of admissions regarding my coworker. They didn't want to know the coworker's name - maybe so they could evaluate her application 'fairly' without being tainted by the compliant against her? I don't know. (They do know who she is, because it's pretty obvious from the situation . . . But still. They didn't want to officially have a name given to them.) You might run into something similar, where they will listen to your complaint but refuse to take the name of the applicant.

I wouldn't do it. I'm assuming you applied this cycle too and it seems like a bit of a conflict-of-interest-type situation IMO. I could see schools not looking favorably on it too.

Plus, how sure are you about her experiences? I have really good friends who applied this cycle too and I have almost no idea what they did/did not put on their application (nor do I really care).

You do you, but personal I'm of the belief that I have too much going on in my own life to worry about someone else like that and if she really did lie, it'll probably show up in interviews anyway.

My old boss contacted the head of admissions regarding my coworker. They didn't want to know the coworker's name - maybe so they could evaluate her application 'fairly' without being tainted by the compliant against her? I don't know. (They do know who she is, because it's pretty obvious from the situation . . . But still. They didn't want to officially have a name given to them.) You might run into something similar, where they will listen to your complaint but refuse to take the name of the applicant.

I remember you telling this story. I think that's a good policy of the school

Last edited:
This sounds like a perfect MMI question!

Sorry, off topic.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't.

People who cheat tend to continue to cheat. If you cheat on a test it's one thing. How will you cheat as a vet that doesn't compromise patient care?

If I remember the situation correctly, I don't think it had much to do with cheating? Something about a bad letter of recommendation? I don't recall all the details but I remember the coworker made some bad choices lol

Idk it seems a little vindictive for an employer to call the school and complain about someone, but that's just me.

If I remember the situation correctly, I don't think it had much to do with cheating? Something about a bad letter of recommendation? I don't recall all the details but I remember the coworker made some bad choices lol

Idk it seems a little vindictive for an employer to call the school and complain about someone, but that's just me.
ok, but bad overall choices that are unethical are not going to fix themselves.

lying on VMCAS is the same thing. You're trying to cheat the system

The vets I worked with didn't like the policy, either. The applicant did something very unprofessional and actually illegal (police took statements, but I think it ended up being too he said/she said for it to go anywhere without physical evidence).

Last edited:
ok, but bad overall choices that are unethical are not going to fix themselves.

lying on VMCAS is the same thing. You're trying to cheat the system

I get what you're saying and don't necessarily disagree with you.

I guess how I'm seeing it, such as in the case with @MixedPracticeJunkie , these situations aren't always so clear. I just can't imagine ever being so sure that a fellow applicant lied on VMCAS that I would call and school and "tell" on him. I'm pretty non-conformational by nature, though, so maybe that's part of my view. I think maybe I was just looking at it from a different angle. Illegal/unethical and you know someone did it, sure approach the school if that's what you think is right.

I'm also kinda reaching from a past experience. I had a really horrible boss (non-vet med job) that made my life miserable and when I finally quit that job for the sake of my mental health (after 5 years), it wasn't on the best terms. I, of course, never did anything bad/unethical, I just finally got a new job, so not quite the same thing. But, the idea of such a person calling a school? Scary.

Last edited:
I'll delete that in a bit. It's not an ongoing thing anymore, but I don't want to leave it up.

The vets I worked with didn't like the policy, either. The applicant did something very unprofessional and actually illegal (police took statements, but I think it ended up being too he said/she said for it to go anywhere without physical evidence). It wasn't academic - she tried to email VMCAS as the clinic owner using that email account. She got caught, but the email was never actually sent so there was nothing the police could do.

See I wasn't remembering that part. Illegal is a very different story!

I don't think *I* would tell on them as another applicant. But I certainly would hope that the school would take a call from their employer seriously

I totally get the frustration on your end. We've probably all known someone who takes credit for someone else's work, lies, etc. to get ahead. I agree that, no, she shouldn't get away with it.

There's a few things that come to mind, though:
1. No matter how truthful you're being, it will appear petty and vindictive to the schools. You're really going out of your way to make sure a peer falls on her butt. Granted, she is cheating/lying, but whistleblowing is not always going to reflect positively on you. It may not sound fair, but it is what it is.
2. Is it really worth it? There's a significant amount of stress that might come along with whistleblowing. Will she find out? Will you inadvertently create some serious drama that no one wants to deal with? It's not okay to cheat, but is making yourself feel better temporarily worth what could be a long period of stress?
3. Do you have proof? In my undergrad circle, there was a ton of "Well she only got that grade because she cheated." Hell, I was a victim of those accusations once, because someone looked over my shoulder and saw a grade on my laptop. Unless you have legitimate proof, or she flat out told you she is lying on VMCAS, a call to the school will make you look silly. If you think she's lying based on your own assumptions about her situation, don't bother.

There was a thread about lying on interviews from 2011...but oh well, I figured this title would get peoples attention :D

Basically, someone I met...without getting specific...basically admitted to me (before knowing I was an unsuccessful vet school applicant) that she had falsehoods on her vmcas. She "knew" a vet personally, and she put on her app that she had numerous hours with him but in actuality...she flat out didn't. She had never once shadowed him, she just knew him as a friend. It was just a bold face lie. Now, my beliefs give me the comfort that knowing karma will come her way soon and I truly do not get upset or angry at things of this sort. I do not think she is a "horrible person" either - the way she talked about it she really made it seem like no big deal...I mean obviously she just shared the info with me out of nowhere!

So...I started thinking that how many people lie? How do (if they do) schools verify that hours are true? I know that for experiences you put contact information but in all honesty it seems highly unlikely that a school could "check" hundreds and hundreds of applicants...but do they? I would be terrified to lie, even if I thought that it was morally okay. But how many people are not?

And P.S. she got in to vet school, probably not due to this one lie...but still, the lie was there. :thumbdown:

Yes, I know someone as well who lied on their vmcas application. They said they had over 5,000 hours at a certain place working with certain animals, when realistically they maybe only had 200 hours from that place. They are currently in vet school. I actually know the school they're at very well, and was temped to let them know about it, but decided against it since I applied there this year.

It just makes me mad because I am a really honest person and I counted and put mine down to the minute. So when I saw that vmcas rounds everything, I felt guilty if it was even an hour or two over. I worked really hard for all of my diverse experiences and hours, so knowing there are probably a lot of people that lie on their app is awful.

It just makes me mad because I am a really honest person and I counted and put mine down to the minute. So when I saw that vmcas rounds everything, I felt guilty if it was even an hour or two over. I worked really hard for all of my diverse experiences and hours, so knowing there are probably a lot of people that lie on their app is awful.

Of course there are people that lie. Humans suck.

But instead of being mad that someone else is lying, look at it this way:

1) You can sleep at night knowing you are above reproach and;
2) They are choosing to put their entire future at risk in a way that might permanently impact their ability to work in this field.

Let them take their risk. When it bites them in the ass .... too bad.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks everyone for your input. Just to clarify - she blatantly told me she lied. Just flat out told me, and justified it by saying the schools will never verify everyone's information. I guess the reason I'm so mad about this is not just because it's wrong, but also because I'm an officer in a club she lied about being in- and to be a member we don't have dues, you have to volunteer a certain number of hours with the club. So I think that's what's fueling my fire the most - is that it's a club where participation is mandatory, so being a member is much more than "well I'm technically on the email list".

I do now see the other side of it. However, I'm shocked that some schools frown upon whistleblowing in a profession where integrity is so important. But I see what everybody is saying, and I doubt it would be worth it for me. I just pray we attend different schools.

Thanks everyone for your input. Just to clarify - she blatantly told me she lied. Just flat out told me, and justified it by saying the schools will never verify everyone's information. I guess the reason I'm so mad about this is not just because it's wrong, but also because I'm an officer in a club she lied about being in- and to be a member we don't have dues, you have to volunteer a certain number of hours with the club. So I think that's what's fueling my fire the most - is that it's a club where participation is mandatory, so being a member is much more than "well I'm technically on the email list".

I do now see the other side of it. However, I'm shocked that some schools frown upon whistleblowing in a profession where integrity is so important. But I see what everybody is saying, and I doubt it would be worth it for me. I just pray we attend different schools.

People suck but karma is a thing. Feel sorry for her, if anything...clearly she lacks integrity.

also...if she lied about how many hours she had...did she remember to lie about how long she's been working there? I bet a school would look into that...

And if she was lacking in enough experience that she felt the need to lie, I feel like that would show in an interview...

It's not that whistle blowing is frowned upon... Schools have very strict honor codes, and I'm pretty sure they all say that if you don't report cheating or falsification when you see it, you're just as guilty. However, you know there are some real, um, competitve people in this profession that want to get in just badly enough or think that they have the moral authority to pull a potential colleague down for something that isn't really cheating. not to say what's going on in that situation isn't wrong. it's that you have to have those checks to make sure applicants aren't throwing each other under the bus. I am willing to bet the schools will catch on.

When I was in undergrad we pretty much had an epidemic of cheating. the idea was tossed around to make an honor council comprised of solely students to boost accountability between peers. we decided that was a very bad idea, because students could potentially crop up something that was more in the gray area morally and use it to punish someone that they didn't like.

It makes me a little bit sick to know that people lie about what they've done to get in, and that there are probably people that continue to lie and cheat and become veterinarians... but to answer your question, I personally wouldn't tell the school outright. I think it would be better to contact the vet and tell them that said person is falsely using them on their application. Anonymously. I also think anonymously contacting the schools would be better than having them know who you are.

Of course there are people that lie. Humans suck.

But instead of being mad that someone else is lying, look at it this way:

1) You can sleep at night knowing you are above reproach and;
2) They are choosing to put their entire future at risk in a way that might permanently impact their ability to work in this field.

Let them take their risk. When it bites them in the ass .... too bad.

Yes, and karma is a b**ch! I've seen things come back and bite people, so who knows.

I am confident about me getting into vet school and it will be because I am honest and resilient.

The same thing happened to me last week in class! This girl that is applying to the VMCAS next year was telling me her plan, and her father-in-law is a vet so he's going to lie about her hours, and he's also going to enlist other vets to write req letters even though she never worked for them!

I was so upset with her! I've worked in the vet field for 10 years, and I earned all my req letters and all my hours.
I wish I could inform VMCAS to double-check her application next year, but I don't think it's my place to call out people? I don't like wishing ill on others, but I hope she doesn't get in because she didn't work for it.

Also, I'm glad to see so many people on this forum that feel the same way I do. I don't have many pre-vet friends and I was just fuming to myself all week. Giving an estimate amount of hours is one thing, I don't care if you put an extra 10 hours or whatever, but saying you worked for vets you never worked for is another. It's just so unethical, and it's a slap in the face to us who worked hard. If I didn't get into vet school because someone else was a better applicant, that's fair....but if I didn't get a spot because some ***** lied about their experience....all hell will break loose.

The same thing happened to me last week in class! This girl that is applying to the VMCAS next year was telling me her plan, and her father-in-law is a vet so he's going to lie about her hours, and he's also going to enlist other vets to write req letters even though she never worked for them!

I was so upset with her! I've worked in the vet field for 10 years, and I earned all my req letters and all my hours.
I wish I could inform VMCAS to double-check her application next year, but I don't think it's my place to call out people? I don't like wishing ill on others, but I hope she doesn't get in because she didn't work for it.

This whole thread just makes me sad. Why would anyone want something they didn't earn...:(

Reactions: 3 users
She said her father-in-law will make up hundreds of hours, when really she's only worked for him for half the summer, but he's going to said she's been working for him for years. Plus working for his friends.

Do you guys think I should let VMCAS know next year? Or would that just make me a giant bitch lol?

She said her father-in-law will make up hundreds of hours, when really she's only worked for him for half the summer, but he's going to said she's been working for him for years. Plus working for his friends.

Do you guys think I should let VMCAS know next year? Or would that just make me a giant bitch lol?

Honestly, she's just doing herself a disservice. I'm not sure why anyone would want to commit 150k + and four years of their life to an education if they don't have true experience with the profession. Plus, I can't imagine lying like that. Not only is it completely unethical, but also what a chore.

Honestly, I'd just make your own application awesome and let karma sort her out IMO:)

Reactions: 1 users
She wants to be a vet more than anything, she said. I just don't like her at all. She's a huge cheater in her classes too...she will only take professors she knows use test banks. I would not want her as my vet. I'd rather have a vet who got C's in vet school, than someone who got A's because they cheated.

I applied this year and got 3 interviews out of the 4 schools I applied, and she asked me to email her my personal statement so she could "look at it". HELL NO! She's just going to copy parts of it, I know it.

She wants to be a vet more than anything, she said. I just don't like her at all. She's a huge cheater in her classes too...she will only take professors she knows use test banks. I would not want her as my vet. I'd rather have a vet who got C's in vet school, than someone who got A's because they cheated.

I applied this year and got 3 interviews out of the 4 schools I applied, and she asked me to email her my personal statement so she could "look at it". HELL NO! She's just going to copy parts of it, I know it.

It sounds like you're kicking ass this cycle, so congrats!

Maybe I'm overly optimistic, but I feel like people who rely on test banks/cheating in undergrad and are dumb enough to go around telling people they cheat and lie on applications are not going to be super successful in interviews or in vet school if they get in. If she's this careless, I'm sure karma will get her eventually.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks, TrashPanda! My Gpa is not great or competitive at all, but I've been working in wildlife centers, exotic clinics, and wildlife interships since I was 18 (I'm 28 now, so old lol!), so I have thousands and thousands of hours which is the only thing that saved my application this year. If I didn't have so many hours, they probably would have tossed my application in the trash.

When I did try to talk to her about her experience, she did sound very naive, so hopefully the vet schools will pick up on that if she gets an interview.

I didn't realize so many people in undergrad just use test banks, and you would think professors would figure it out. One of my friends got caught and they failed him so I've always been terrified of going near that stuff. Recently, some students at my school were using WhatsApp to text answers to each other during an exam and they got caught, so I also don't join any group chats either.

I pay way too much money to go to school to get kicked out for cheating, so no thanks. I'm fine getting a B- in biochem lol.

OT: but all those posters from 2012 made me nostalgic.... I should probably read the threads here more often...

<back to your regularly scheduled rant against cheaters>

If she really goes to those lengths to pass/excel in undergrad courses, she probably wouldn't cut it in a professional program where half of those tricks won't work. If she does get in somewhere, you can at least sit back and watch that disaster unfold

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
If she really goes to those lengths to pass/excel in undergrad courses, she probably wouldn't cut it in a professional program where half of those tricks won't work. If she does get in somewhere, you can at least sit back and watch that disaster unfold ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Lol, the best kind of entertainment

First off, congrats on getting so many interviews! That's awesome.

It's probably wise not to share your personal statement with her if you worry about plagiarism. I once mentored someone who asked to see my resume as a template. He ended up using my resume as his with a few minor changes, but he then proceeded to show it to me for a critique. So, I politely asked him when he had acquired certain specific experiences, and he said, "Well, I observed you do those things; so, I know how to do them." I politely explained that it doesn't work that way and told him to change it. Soon after that, I transferred to another position with the same employer. About six months into the new job, my boss pulled me aside and started asking me how many people did my exact job in the old department. I was the only one with that exact job, and the person who took over my duties was not the applicant. Turns out, the guy I mentored used the resume draft with my experiences to apply for a job. Since it rolled up to the same senior manager - someone who knew me - it set off alarm bells.
The worst part was that it was a really cool job that I'd applied for a year earlier and done well on the interview. Before they could make a hiring decision, the company put a hiring freeze on that department. By the time it reopened I'd moved on to something else. The hiring manager didn't care when the senior manager told him about the inconsistencies in the guy's resume, and he ended up getting that job. No idea where he is now. And, honestly, it no longer matters as anything more than a cautionary tale.

First off, congrats on getting so many interviews! That's awesome.

It's probably wise not to share your personal statement with her if you worry about plagiarism. I once mentored someone who asked to see my resume as a template. He ended up using my resume as his with a few minor changes, but he then proceeded to show it to me for a critique. So, I politely asked him when he had acquired certain specific experiences, and he said, "Well, I observed you do those things; so, I know how to do them." I politely explained that it doesn't work that way and told him to change it. Soon after that, I transferred to another position with the same employer. About six months into the new job, my boss pulled me aside and started asking me how many people did my exact job in the old department. I was the only one with that exact job, and the person who took over my duties was not the applicant. Turns out, the guy I mentored used the resume draft with my experiences to apply for a job. Since it rolled up to the same senior manager - someone who knew me - it set off alarm bells.
The worst part was that it was a really cool job that I'd applied for a year earlier and done well on the interview. Before they could make a hiring decision, the company put a hiring freeze on that department. By the time it reopened I'd moved on to something else. The hiring manager didn't care when the senior manager told him about the inconsistencies in the guy's resume, and he ended up getting that job. No idea where he is now. And, honestly, it no longer matters as anything more than a cautionary tale.

Omg, Posey, what a jerk. I'm sorry he did that to you, and you sound like you were so polite and professional with him too! He obviously didn't deserve to have you as a mentor.

Yeah, there's no way she's getting a hold of my resume or personal statement.

I've had a bunch of students in class ask to see my essays to "double check" that they are doing theirs correctly....I always tell them no, but I'd be more than happy to answer any questions they might have.

Btw, cute light kitty pic.

I've had a bunch of students in class ask to see my essays to "double check" that they are doing theirs correctly....I always tell them no, but I'd be more than happy to answer any questions they might have.

I had this experience, as well. I think they meant well, honestly, but I would hate for what I said to have an influence in what/how they wrote. Personal statements should be personal!

I had this experience, as well. I think they meant well, honestly, but I would hate for what I said to have an influence in what/how they wrote. Personal statements should be personal!

You're way more trusting of people than me, mmmdreamerz lol. I emailed one of my friends my resume but she's pre-med, so she's not going to be copying anything that I did lol.

I was in a similar situation and I had a girl who had tried to cheat off me for the past 2 years ask me to see my personal statement. Maybe she meant well, but I said no because as we've discussed I am a sadistic and ruthless God and if there's only 30 OOS people getting into OkState, she is not using 'my' PS to get in. Maybe I was harsh, or maybe she needs to figure her s*** out.

I've given lots of people my personal statement. I appreciated having examples to read when I was writing mine - and still definitely made it my own - so like to pay it forward.

Reactions: 4 users
I've given lots of people my personal statement. I appreciated having examples to read when I was writing mine - and still definitely made it my own - so like to pay it forward.
I did that with someone on SDN, and I definitely don't mind. For me, It felt like it was just another incidence of the same girl trying to take credit for my work, and I was angry and passive aggressive