lung aspiration: which lobe?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oh_Gee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
when someone aspirates a foreign object while supine, which right lung lobe is it more likely to go in? the 2019 edition of goljian (pg 437) says "superior segment of the right lower lobe" but my teacher says right upper lobe. i have not been able to find a reputable source (gray's, Moore's, uptodate, google) to confirm either statement

Members don't see this ad.

According to UWorld, supine aspiration = posterior segment of the upper lobe or the superior segment of the lower lobe. Upright aspiration = right lower lobe (according to First Aid)

According to UWorld, supine aspiration = posterior segment of the upper lobe or the superior segment of the lower lobe. Upright aspiration = right lower lobe (according to First Aid)
for that supine aspiration question, did they lump "posterior segment of the upper lobe or the superior segment of the lower lobe" into 1 single answer choice?

Nope only one of them was in the answer choices, but their explanation of the answer was a picture showing both as possibilities when supine. Hopefully that helps, I'm sorry I wish there were 1 answer too lol