Lunch during Step 2 CS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fistulitis

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The First Aid mentions that there is a "meal" served during one of the breaks. I'm just wondering what the previous Step 2 CS takers had for lunch. :)

I'm not vegetarian or whatever, just curious... and a bit hungry. Mmmmm. $1000 lunch! :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

Step 2-CS is comprised of 12 standardized patient encounters as follows: 5 encounters, lunch break (30 minutes), 4 encounters, 2nd break (15 minutes), 3 encounters.
Our lunch (Chicago center) was salad and cold/cut deli sandwiches. The meats, cheeses, breads etc were laid-out separate and each examinee prepared his or her own meal. The food is arranged so examinees with dietary restrictions (i.e. all or certain types of meat) can prepare their meals with their guidelines in tact. As the proctor said, you can take as much food as you like, so long as you finish eating in the time allotted. They also provide bottled water and soft-drinks and some cookies/pastries for dessert. Enjoy!
Nice username, btw!!

Step 2-CS is comprised of 12 standardized patient encounters as follows: 5 encounters, lunch break (30 minutes), 4 encounters, 2nd break (15 minutes), 3 encounters.
Our lunch (Chicago center) was salad and cold/cut deli sandwiches. The meats, cheeses, breads etc were laid-out separate and each examinee prepared his or her own meal. The food is arranged so examinees with dietary restrictions (i.e. all or certain types of meat) can prepare their meals with their guidelines in tact. As the proctor said, you can take as much food as you like, so long as you finish eating in the time allotted. They also provide bottled water and soft-drinks and some cookies/pastries for dessert. Enjoy!
Nice username, btw!!

Sweet. I'll be taking it in Chicago.

Basically, the total testing time, with breaks included, is only 5:45. However, I'm guessing that it ends up dragging out quite longer. Were you out like by 2:30pm?

Members don't see this ad :)
Total test time is 12 encounters(25 minutes/encounter), which brings it to: 5 hours. Then, there are 45 minutes of break, which leads to 5 hours 45 minutes. The thing is, there are roughly 2.5-4 minutes between encounters, during which time forms are collected, examinees move, and Standardized Patients prepare for the next encounter (maybe even score the previous one). That adds another 30-45 minutes or so to the whole test. Basically, people register/check in until 8:30, then orientation lasts until around 9. The test starts around 9 and should last, roughly, 6 Hours and 15 minutes to 6 Hours and 30 minutes. My exam ended right around 3:15 PM!

Is there enough time to use the restroom during the breaks? Are there enough stalls? Silly question, I know. But I bet it'd really matter come test day with a full bladder and break time looming around.

Is there enough time to use the restroom during the breaks? Are there enough stalls? Silly question, I know. But I bet it'd really matter come test day with a full bladder and break time looming around.

You have time enough to go to the restroom during breaks so long as you're not wearing the Michelin Man snow suit you used to get dressed up in as a child.

Oh yeah, you should be fine as long as you don't float a keg or two the night before and have to take the Tom Hanks piss from "A League of Their Own".

I tested in ATLy, where we were served a succulent, juicy chicken breast mated with portobello mushrooms, delicately breaded, and doused with a savory pepper-blue cheese sauce, paired with delectable farm-fresh salad greens topped with a Sicilian olive oil-based anchovy, parmagiano vinigrette with a hint of vodka, cherry tomatoes and homestyle seasoned bread crumbs, and finished off with an exquisite Belgian chocolate silk melt-in-your-mouth brownie rivetted with pecans. Of course, this was all accompanied by freshly squeezed fruit juices, bottled water, bottled sodas (of your choice), fresh-brewed iced-tea, and fresh-brewed 100% Arabica coffee.

What I was most surprised by was the fact that the test center employees, while far smaller in numbers (compared to the number of examinees), ended up eating (and getting first dibs) on our food that we payed 1000 bucks for (and they are PAID to be there).