lumber puncture?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOC2KGILL

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys.can u please help me with this .......if a patient has idiopathic intracranial hypertension,and has pappiledema,shud we do lumbar puncture?UW says we shud do lumbar puncture after imaging,is it right?i thought LP shud be avoided in pappiledema........please help!

Members don't see this ad.

yes, you do LP, its therapeutic in these patients. you do a scan first to ensure that there is no mass, so they dont herniate if you do the LP. But once thats done, LP is one of the ways to decrease the intracranial pressure to alleviate the symptoms.

DOC2KGILL said:
hi guys.can u please help me with this .......if a patient has idiopathic intracranial hypertension,and has pappiledema,shud we do lumbar puncture?UW says we shud do lumbar puncture after imaging,is it right?i thought LP shud be avoided in pappiledema........please help!

Doctors don't normally do lumber punctures. Usually it would be a lumberjack or one who collects maple syrup. I assume they use a drill or something. I'm sure there's a student lumberjack network somewhere that you could post this question on.

betz said:
yes, you do LP, its therapeutic in these patients. you do a scan first to ensure that there is no mass, so they dont herniate if you do the LP. But once thats done, LP is one of the ways to decrease the intracranial pressure to alleviate the symptoms.
thanks!i think i was confusing I/C mass with I/C hypertension,gud u reminded me that :)