LUCOM: Pros and Cons from current students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You are correct. Still it's discriminatory... because the majority of lucom students would like to stay in the lynchburg area and rotate at the big Centra hospital

if you ask around, theres a ton of people that want to leave... helpful tip: if you feel strongly about it being discriminatory, you should go make an appointment with Dean Martin. he'd probably work with you.

Members don't see this ad.

if you ask around, theres a ton of people that want to leave... helpful tip: if you feel strongly about it being discriminatory, you should go make an appointment with Dean Martin. he'd probably work with you.
we'll see... I hope more locations for rotations become available. There are rumors that Richmond is another possibility.

Members don't see this ad :)
To my classmates trashing LUCOM on SDN: you're being a coward. If you don't like it, leave. If you have a real concern, go to someone that can actually help instead of posting about it on a public forum where no one can actually help.
@MsCritique @MrCritique - really? burning bridges over one test question? Get over it. You both know who I am. I'd be happy to tell you that you're a coward in person if you'd prefer. If you actually want to have a discussion and accomplish something then talk with dr Martin.

Quit hiding behind your anonymous username and actually do something about it.

Married students have priority in Lynchburg because their spouses have jobs and their children go to school here.

Anyone else confused/concerned/suspicious that lucomstudent, MsCritique and MrCritique are all new SDN members this week?

Edit: my apologies, MsCritique joined last month. I honestly forgot we were in June already.

Seriously . You were upset over a test question and you were so angry that you posted about it right away. Clearly you're wishing you wouldn't have reacted so quickly since now you're trying to say nice things about other profs. What will you do when you get out into the real world and you have to work with people like your professors? Talking crap about them on a public forum will most likely get you fired. You sign contracts saying you WONT do that. this is simply irresponsible. What do you really expect to come of this? You think 3500 students will suddenly not apply because of your post? You think COCA will shut LUCOM down? ...does that actually benefit you in some way?

Do you always overreact when you're angry? This is not a positive quality as a future physician. Luckily we still have a year to work on that before we start seeing real patients.

Seriously . You were upset over a test question and you were so angry that you posted about it right away. Clearly you're wishing you wouldn't have reacted so quickly since now you're trying to say nice things about other profs. What will you do when you get out into the real world and you have to work with people like your professors? Talking crap about them on a public forum will most likely get you fired. You sign contracts saying you WONT do that. this is simply irresponsible. What do you really expect to come of this? You think 3500 students will suddenly not apply because of your post? You think COCA will shut LUCOM down? ...does that actually benefit you in some way?

Do you always overreact when you're angry? This is not a positive quality as a future physician. Luckily we still have a year to work on that before we start seeing real patients.

Ha! I could care less about that that question. It was a tragic question. Sorry that I'm not the happy go lucky lucom med student that you want me to be. And when the time comes for me to bite the bullet and suck up all the bill**** within the medical field then I will. If you haven't noticed many students at lucom are sucking it up, biting their tongues and just following along. Do you know how alienating this is?

And,I'm not saying nice things to try to and cover up the negative things that I've said, there are really good things about lucom and about their professors.

Dean Martin told us in the beginning that he did not join our fb group because he wants us to have an outlet to vent, well that's not possible since there are professors on the lucom fb page who also comment on other posts and ask that certain posts be deleted. There are people at LUCOM who can't handle controversy, and I get that LUCOM wants to keep it's image on fb squeaky clean. There are many underground LUCOM fb pages, but even those have an air of caution.

There has to be a way for students to anonymously vent controversial things in a straight way (without involving SGA) without fear of being punished, dismissed, ignored etc

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Ha! I could give two sh**s about that that question. It was a tragic question. Sorry that I'm not the happy go lucky lucom med student that you want me to be. And when the time comes for me to bite the bullet and suck up all the bill**** within the medical field... I will. If u haven't noticed...many students at lucom are sucking it up...biting their tongues and just following along. Do u know how alienating this is?

And..I'm not saying nice things to try to and cover up the negative things that I've said... there are good things about lucom and about their professors. Dean Martin told us in the beginning that he did not join our fb group because he wants us to have an outlet to vent...well that's not possible... so here is SDN to the rescue. :)
SDN to the rescue? You don't have any one in person that wants to listen to you? You must post it where it can never be deleted?

Everyone sucks it up in med school. It's not alienating its called submitting to authority while you're trying to get a degree. Everyone in every med school does it to some extent. You're apparently having a hard time adjusting to it, so it seems to me you should start practicing to bite your tongue now so that you're ready for it when it really matters.

These "SDN to the rescue" people can't actually do anything to help you but cheer you on as you complain. If you want something to change, contact someone at LUCOM about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
we have the option to choose our own location for 4th year rotations. There are a few rules for this though. There must be more than 20 people wanting to go to that location, the academic co ordinator can establish the hospital location as a teaching location...basically they want to ensure that this hospital has a certain standard (I don't know what goes into that process).
This is a disaster. You'd be smart to care about it now when you can still maybe do something about it. If I were a fan of any aspect of LUCOM, I'd spell it all out for you, but since I'm not, here are some things to google:
1. VSAS
2. how to match ortho
3. how to match EM
4. NRMP program director survey
5. Main residency match data

Instead of prayers and conversion therapy you need to get obsessed with getting a residency. LUCOM clearly isn't obsessed on your behalf.

Reactions: 5 users

She does consistently.

Just because you failed a bunch of systems, and you most likely wont be able to make them up over the summer. Doesn't mean you should bash the school. Furthermore, bringing up what happened a long time a go to a friend that we all knew, on SDN, makes you equivalent to a trash can i have in the kitchen. I know exactly who you are

Last edited:
best thread ever

Reactions: 5 users
How did I miss this thread...
In

Reactions: 1 users
Actually, it is important, in my opinion, that information, both good and bad, is put out there for future students to consider, as it is a 4 year commitment to the values of that institution. Its better to know what you are walking into, then be railroaded down the road.

For those who may only get accepted into LUCOM, then they simply have to accept it's policies. For those who get accepted into multiple schools, then if LUCOM is as great as it seeks to be, then their decisions now will determine the types of students that matriculate there tomorrow.

Reactions: 2 users
Damn and I thought you guys made fun of me. Was there a solar eclipse because all I see here is shade.

Seriously I think yall need to have a beer or something and calm down. She brought up a question that you all agree was there, but people are making it out like she kills puppies on the weekend.

Just because you failed a bunch of systems, and you most likely wont be able to make them up over the summer. Doesn't mean you should bash the school. Furthermore, bringing up what happened a long time a go to a friend that we all knew, on SDN, makes you equivalent to a trash can i have in the kitchen. I know exactly who you are

B8zWI6iCMAEPWMi.png

Insecure much?

Oh, and side note, do you guys really sign non-disclosure agreements that you won't say anything negative about the school?
That's really messed up if so

So what's up with your boy above then? Med student paranoia? Or secret Liberty admin coming to threaten students?
Im not too sure whats going on here anymore. I know I never signed anything like that. Also, Mscritique and Mrcritique may be the same person.

This is going to be an interesting week at LUCOM. I don't recall signing a Form that we cannot express negative views on here, but it might be in the handbook.

If my fellow classmates who are trying to guilt me into shutting up can go to my first post in this thread (which was created by me) I highlighted some good points about the school. I don't care what you think of me. I do have some good things to say about the school and they are genuine. It was not an attempt to cover up my negativity.

As for being a coward, I just don't believe meeting with LUCOMs administration or any of the students will solve anything. Other students have done this and it's exhausting and I have exams to worry about.

If LUCOM's administration truly cares, then they should create a medium for people to anonymously critique the school (besides the end of course surveys), to discuss serious issues like compass groups that have made students feel unwelcome. A lot of students are scared to voice controversial issues that are not in keeping with "the liberty way"

And yes, I do have other students that I talk to. I'm not some antisocial weirdo sitting in the shadows. I actually listen to people's concerns

I doubt COCA or AOA will shut the school down right off the bat. The first step would be to correct the inappropriate ways of lucom so that they are on par with medical schools nationwide and can give their med students the medical education that they deserve and have paid for.

There are things that I know now about the school that I wish I had known before starting, especially about the culture of this school. Yes I am grateful to LUCOM for the opportunity to become a doctor. However, that doesn't mean that I'm going to agree with all of its policies. And I have a right to vent as I see fit (First Amendment). I have not said anything that wasn't true.

When the class of 2019 were interviewing, Dean Martin told us that we can share both the good and bad things about LUCOM with them, that's basically what I am doing here.

There are students like me, with my mentality...eg: supporters of LGBT, and pro choice and who don't push my religion on others (it's mostly the students who do this...and one or two professors), so I want these students to be fully aware of the culture of LUCOM.

Last edited:
That's really messed up if so
I was referring to future workplaces. I know that people that work at Centra Hospital in Lynchburg can get fired if they talk badly about the hospital. I don't think we signed anything about LUCOM. It might be in the handbook but I don't know

Since this is a new school, shouldn't COCA or AOA or someone be making annual visits? They should have a session where it's just students where students can bring up issues like this. From what I've heard they take stuff like this pretty seriously.

I was referring to future workplaces. I know that people that work at Centra Hospital in Lynchburg can get fired if they talk badly about the hospital. I don't think we signed anything about LUCOM. It might be in the handbook but I don't know
Damn remind me to never work there.
I think I would actually go insane if I couldn't criticize an institution. I ****ing hate closed systems, they are the breeding ground for abuse and corruption. Sunlight is the best disinfectant.

Reactions: 1 users
This is going to be an interesting week at LUCOM. I don't recall signing a Form that we cannot express negative views on here... but it might be in the handbook.

If my fellow classmates who are trying to guilt me into shutting up can go to my first post in this thread (which was created by me) I highlighted some good points about the school. I don't care what you think of me. I do have some good things to say about the school and they are genuine. It was not an attempt to cover up my negativity.

As for being a coward... I just don't believe meeting with LUCOMs administration or any of the students will solve anything. Other students have done this and it's exhausting and I have exams to worry about. Oh yes...I do have other students that I talk to... I belong to different cliques... as MrCritique pointed out...this school is cliquish just like high school.

I doubt COCA or AOA will shut the school down...the first step would be to correct the inappropriate ways of lucom so that they are on par with medical schools nationwide and not Jerry Falwell undergrad.

There are things that I know now about the school that I wish I had known before starting...especially about the culture of this school. Yes I am grateful to LUCOM for the opportunity to become a doctor...that doesn't mean that I'm going to agree with all of its policies. And I have a right to vent as I see fit. I have not said anything that wasnt true.

When the class of 2019 were interviewing...Dean Martin told us that we can share both the good and bad things about LUCOM with them... that's basically what I am doing here

There are students like me...with my mentality...eg: supporters of LGBT, and pro choice and who don't push my religion on others (it's mostly the students who do this...and one or two professors)...so I want these students to be fully aware of the culture of LUCOM.

I was skeptical of the happy go lucky nature of the students and faculty from the start and I've realized that I was right.

This week is going to be a game of guess my identity haha.

Sounds like what we've got here is just a good old fashioned case of the new school blues. I know that feel. Granted some of the problems and kinks I have seen arise at my own institution aren't necessarily stemming from religious tomfoolery (unless we consider OMM a religion?), the discontent for the way things are going over there is eerily familiar. Just keep on keeping on and I hope things change for the dissatisfied folks at LUCOM.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with expressing your reflections of the school as a current student. I honestly do not understand why people feel they need to hide some of the shady things these schools do. The more people who are vocal, the more likely things are to change and sometimes going to the administration is not a smart idea as it just puts a target on your back. If anything your thread will help folks weigh their options when applying to schools. I'd much rather hear the no-nonsense, dirt on a school before committing than go in only hearing from the proverbial "teet suckers" of the school. Every school has people who are unhappy...a well rounded view of the school for incoming candidates really needs to consider these gripes as well.

FWIW, cliques are a universal evil of medical school, so welcome to high school, part deux.

Since this is a new school, shouldn't COCA or AOA or someone be making annual visits? They should have a session where it's just students where students can bring up issues like this. From what I've heard they take stuff like this pretty seriously.
We did have a student COCA meet. Deans and faculty were NOT present. Issues were brought up like the donating of the money raised for Parkinsons research. This was a couple months ago.

Find out some stuff about your least favorite person in your class. Start making comments on here that fit their details. Two bird with one stone.
As tempting as this is...it's not my style. As much as I dislike some students at lucom, I still believe in accountability... I dont need anyone to take the fall for me. I think I've concealed my identity pretty well. I'll keep you posted if lucom faculty unleash a full on investigation.

I think I would actually go insane if I couldn't criticize an institution. I ****ing hate closed systems, they are the breeding ground for abuse and corruption. Sunlight is the best disinfectant.
I agree...one of the reasons why hospitals have a quality control dept...to report incidents and dangerous or unsafe practices

Sounds like what we've got here is just a good old fashioned case of the new school blues. I know that feel. Granted some of the problems and kinks I have seen arise at my own institution aren't necessarily stemming from religious tomfoolery (unless we consider OMM a religion?), the discontent for the way things are going over there is eerily familiar. Just keep on keeping on and I hope things change for the dissatisfied folks at LUCOM.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with expressing your reflections of the school as a current student. I honestly do not understand why people feel they need to hide some of the shady things these schools do. The more people who are vocal, the more likely things are to change and sometimes going to the administration is not a smart idea as it just puts a target on your back. If anything your thread will help folks weigh their options when applying to schools. I'd much rather hear the no-nonsense, dirt on a school before committing than go in only hearing from the proverbial "teet suckers" of the school. Every school has people who are unhappy...a well rounded view of the school for incoming candidates really needs to consider these gripes as well.

FWIW, cliques are a universal evil of medical school, so welcome to high school, part deux.
Hey, teet sucker here. We have various ways of bringing up issues to the faculty and student government that are anonymous. I agree that we should be able to voice our opinions but mscritique did it in a very unprofessional manner. She also made personal attacks against her fellow classmates that were really uncalled for. Those kinds of things do not belong on SDN.

Hey, teet sucker here. We have various ways of bringing up issues to the faculty and student government that are anonymous. I agree that we should be able to voice our opinions but mscritique did it in a very unprofessional manner. She also made personal attacks against her fellow classmates that were really uncalled for. Those kinds of things do not belong on SDN.
I don't see how what she did was unprofessional. God I hate when people use that as an excuse to suppress criticism.

And I don't see you speaking out against those who made personal attacks on her
1433616509571.jpg

Hey, teet sucker here.
Good. Glad you found this thread about your school where you are able to voice your opinion. Your opinion has just as much merit for people who want to get a feel for LUCOM as the other students. What you consider unprofessional or inappropriate is of no interest to me--this is a forum...on the interwebz...you are going to really need to thicken up your skin for the real world if anything here is offending you. The admins on SDN are pretty good, and when things start crossing boundaries the ban hammer and lock will arrive.

"Unprofessional" = "I disagree with you."

So obnoxious.
If you went on a public forum and criticized your fellow residents, attendings, or program (without first going through the proper channels to solve an issue) would you consider that unprofessional?

She did have a point - that many students here agree with. It was just the manner it was done that I have a problem with.

It's not unprofessional.

You, like many, equate public criticism with being unprofessional. It is not.

You just don't like having dirty laundry aired in public.
Yeah I can see where you're coming from. It does suck to have a school you take pride in being bashed.

Being in the military, going outside the chain (of command) and not keeping issues to the lowest tier was considered very unprofessional. If I had a problem with the school, my first step would not be to come on SDN and complain.

I'm pretty sure Anthony Weiner is commenting on here. I blocked him. I think his motive is to try and have this post locked. This is not the military. This is a civilian med school. If I wanted to have the life style of the military then I would have joined.

Btw, SDN was not the first thing that I did. Our SGA is helpful. They do a good job in advocating for the student body which resulted in significant changes (like the practicals... shudder) ... and quite frankly, call me critical. .. but I don't believe that whole anonymous thing for one bit.

Reactions: 3 users
Medical school isn't the military and it's not like forcing everything to go via the chain of command always has the best results....m

This is going to be an interesting week at LUCOM. I don't recall signing a Form that we cannot express negative views on here... but it might be in the handbook.

As for being a coward... I just don't believe meeting with LUCOMs administration or any of the students will solve anything. Other students have done this and it's exhausting and I have exams to worry about. Oh yes...I do have other students that I talk to... I belong to different cliques... as MrCritique pointed out...this school is cliquish just like high school.

I doubt COCA or AOA will shut the school down...the first step would be to correct the inappropriate ways of lucom so that they are on par with medical schools nationwide and not Jerry Falwell undergrad.

There are things that I know now about the school that I wish I had known before starting...especially about the culture of this school. Yes I am grateful to LUCOM for the opportunity to become a doctor...that doesn't mean that I'm going to agree with all of its policies. And I have a right to vent as I see fit. I have not said anything that wasnt true.

When the class of 2019 were interviewing...Dean Martin told us that we can share both the good and bad things about LUCOM with them... that's basically what I am doing here

There are students like me...with my mentality...eg: supporters of LGBT, and pro choice and who don't push my religion on others (it's mostly the students who do this...and one or two professors)...so I want these students to be fully aware of the culture of LUCOM.

I was skeptical of the happy go lucky nature of the students and faculty from the start and I've realized that I was right.

This week is going to be a game of guess my identity haha.
I read your handbook. There are several sections which could be skewed to represent this. Seeing as a A is basically 95% plus I would be careful with what your posting. If your for real about your grade and that question being the *only* one you missed I bet your ID could be figured out.

I guarantee any parent hospital will drop you like a rock if you start spouting off horrible things about them in public, they also could start 'leaking' personal info about your 'issues' according to them. Look at any whistleblower, their credibility is almost always immediately attacked after they talk. It may take longer as a physician but it can and will happen eventually, exercise tack when using the interwebs.

I guarantee any parent hospital will drop you like a rock if you start spouting off horrible things about them in public, they also could start 'leaking' personal info about your 'issues' according to them. Look at any whistleblower, their credibility is almost always immediately attacked after they talk. It may take longer as a physician but it can and will happen eventually, exercise tack when using the interwebs.

Oh I know my big mouth will get me in trouble eventually, I have no doubt about it. More likely than not I will end up doing private practice partially because I just don't deal well with administrations.

Reactions: 3 users
Oh I know my big mouth will get me in trouble eventually, I have no doubt about it. More likely than not I will end up doing private practice because I just don't deal well with administrations.
Private practice is always a thumbs up from me! Take those greedy middlemen out of the equation!