Lsu Pm&r

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rivera2k

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For all those pondering which programs to consider when applying, put LSU on your list of possibilities. I did an away rotation here as a fourth year (drawn by great reviews on scutwork.com) and decided this is where I would be happiest. I'm currently on my third week of my outpatient PM&R rotation and loving life. We have such a great schedule, as an intern I'm finding myself with tons of time to partake in outside interests. And for those looking for procedures, you cannot go wrong here. At the end of my second week I've already performed injections in clinic and have an EMG/NCS under my belt. The fourth years say that by the end, you've done so many procedures you can easily practice interventional physiatry with comfort without even doing a fellowship. The teaching is great and there is ample opportunity to learn, as evidenced by the outstanding scores the past several classes have achieved on their PM&R self-assessment exams (one of the interns last year got one of the top ten scores in the country). Another great thing about the program to me is its greater emphasis on outpatient PM&R than inpatient. In addition, our residents are some of the friendliest bunch out there. I came to New Orleans not knowing anyone at all but was immediately made to feel right at ease and part of the team from the get-go.

Now that I've gushed on and on about this place, let me talk about a minor downside (I won't lie and paint a totally rosy picture). Charity Hospital is not the most beautiful place out there (sometimes you'll still see patients being wheeled in those old wooden wheelchairs, and the elevators in one of the outpatient buildings still have a person inside who moves the handcrank to take you up to the floor). But please don't let this deter you. Underneath it all is a fantastic program in which you will learn a lot, do plenty of procedures, and have a fantastic quality of life. Plus, although Charity is not too pleasing to the eye this is balanced by the other hospitals we work at: the VA right across the street, Tuoro, and Ochsner (which is like a resort hotel).

All in all I'm extremely confident that I made the right decision to come to this program and would choose it again in a heartbeat. I've never met a happier group of residents than we have here and given the choice, I have no doubt they would all pick this place again.

Feel free to email me with any questions about this program or the match process or PM&R in general ([email protected])

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like a great place to be. Two questions: Where did you go to medical school? What's the area like as far as driving to work and cost of an average apartment?
thanks.