LSAT VERBAL VS CARS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RockMcat520

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I finished all the CARS section on the AAMC previous exams (pre-2015). I am saving the Q-Bank, section bank, the practice test, the sample test for later since I will be taking the MCAT on May 6th. Based on previous experience, Do you guys think LSAT official verbal tests are better than any MCAT companies verbal tests? I am just wondering since the LSAT are made by "Officials." Did anyone use them before and improved?
Any suggestions? Advice?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Everyone,

I finished all the CARS section on the AAMC previous exams (pre-2015). I am saving the Q-Bank, section bank, the practice test, the sample test for later since I will be taking the MCAT on May 6th. Based on previous experience, Do you guys think LSAT official verbal tests are better than any MCAT companies verbal tests? I am just wondering since the LSAT are made by "Officials." Did anyone use them before and improved?
Any suggestions? Advice?

Thanks

I scored a 13 (100th %tile) on verbal on the old MCAT. I have also taken the LSAT and scored 100th %tile on that as well.

Yes, I definitely think old LSATs are the best practice material you can get other than official AAMC materials, even better than TPR Hyperlearning. In fact, I recommend using the LSATs to all my students whom I tutor. However, the LSAT reading comprehension sections are much shorter and somewhat easier than MCAT verbal/CARS. They should not be used within 3 weeks of the actual test date, when you should only be using AAMC material.

I scored a 13 (100th %tile) on verbal on the old MCAT. I have also taken the LSAT and scored 100th %tile on that as well.

Yes, I definitely think old LSATs are the best practice material you can get other than official AAMC materials, even better than TPR Hyperlearning. In fact, I recommend using the LSATs to all my students whom I tutor. However, the LSAT reading comprehension sections are much shorter and somewhat easier than MCAT verbal/CARS. They should not be used within 3 weeks of the actual test date, when you should only be using AAMC material.

It's interesting you say this. The majority opinion in some older threads on this topic seems to be that the LSAT reading comp section is not useful for MCAT preparation. I will give the LSAT a try once I start preparing for the MCAT. I can only hope my performance on the former matches my performance on the latter.

@RockMcat520 - I've seen this question pop up from time to time. I'd have to agree with "AnotherLawyer" in that the consensus I've seen is that it really isn't that helpful. While the "quality" of the passages may be slightly higher, the fact that the passage are shorter and easier as ZPackEffect references really limits their usefulness. One of the biggest problems for MCATers when it comes to the CARS section is timing and reading comprehension. Shorter passages affect both of these, as it prevents you from developing the proper intuition when it comes to pacing. It also limits you when it comes to comprehending and retaining information from a longer passage. Keeping track of the structure, details, and arguments of a shorter passage is much easier than a longer one. This seems like a bad idea. Many, many people improve their CARS scores a great deal using the recommended materials. I would advise you be careful. The MCAT is not a time in one's life to be "creative" or "inventive" with the ways in which you study or the materials you use. With that said, it does seem like some test takers have had some success with it.

Here are a thread I found that is reasonably useful: Using the LSAT to help with verbal.

Also, and this is a very important point, SN2ed, the user who created one of the most reputable MCAT study plans out there and moderator of the SDN MCAT forum said that of what he's seen and heard, that it isn't a good idea.
Best of luck as you sort out what's going to work for you!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Thank you! Since you scored 100% on LSAT and MCAT, I think you just naturally good at verbal. English is my second language for only 8 years.
@TestingSolutions thank you so much for your help. I actually did 4 LSAT exams last week, their questions are completely different and even the way the passages are written. Do you think its too early to start doing the Q-Bank? I will be taking the MCAT on May 6th. The probelm is I dont want to do all 120 Qs at once

@RockMcat520 - I'd recommend that you divide up your amount of time to study into thirds. For example, if you're studying for three months, you should start using AAMC materials after you complete 2/3 of your study time, or after the completion of your second month of studying. This allows you to make all of your silly mistakes on the lower quality practice materials and will allow you to get the most of the AAMC's diagnostic tools when reviewing.