LPN to RN, or MA to go for research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newtoPA

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I go from LPN to RN while working full time, which would take me 20 months to complete both, or should I do an MA program in 6 months?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm confused, are you already an LPN?

When you say MA I'm thinking medical assistant, and I would not see a point in becoming a medical assistant if you are already a nurse, many places that hire medical assistants will actually jump at the chance to hire LPNs instead (if you're willing to take the pay cut.)

What kind of research are you trying to "go for"? If your nursing school is affiliated with or part of a university with lab space you could probably get some sort of research exposure while in the nursing program. If you're thinking of something more along the lines of clinical research, an RN would be your best bet.

Far from it. Are you in clinical research now?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm an LPN. I'm going to be dong lab research at my undergrad. I would love to do clinical research at some point and have considered becoming an RN for that reason in the past. I'm sure it depends on your state and the kind of research you want to do, but generally the PI would be a doctor, PA or NP, but RN's can play important roles and what exactly those are would somewhat depend on level of education. An ASN most likely isn't going to be running the show but an MSN might be able to conduct their own research. For an LPN we would be taking care of more patient care type things, and documentation. Medical assistants would not have a significant research role - not that they aren't valuable members of the healthcare team, but their jobs are usually kind of like a cross between a secretary and a CNA (very simplified explanation so I hope not to offend any MA's.)

If you want to do clinical research your best bet out of the careers listed is RN. However I am concerned about what information you have on bridge programs. LPN programs range in length from about 12 to 18 months. LPN to RN programs usually let you skip about a year of nursing school, but sometimes it is less, and many will also require other prerequisites, such as college level anatomy. You may not be able to transition directly into the program, and in some places (like my state) these programs are decreasing in number.

What I'm getting at here is that it would most likely take you at least a little longer than 20 months. Also keep in mind this would let you transition from LPN to an Associate degree in nursing. You would most likely need a bachelor's in nursing to be competitive for research positions.

Would you mind giving me a little more info as to your goals? Have you been accepted into an LPN program? If not you might be better off just entering directly into an RN program. Why were you considering LPN to RN?

I will try to explain myself as much as I can.

So far from what I understand, some programs that require CNA licenses may decrease the number of months to do a LPN program. I have found some programs to do this under the condition that I move to that state to complete the program.

So far from what I understand, LPNs do work in LTC. I have heard some employed in hospitals where I live, but not sure how that works. I am also not sure if they also do clinical research because most of them are not taught to do care plans an physical assessments in their training. This is what a lot of LPNs and RNs tell me.

MA is taught to do physical assessment, drug administration, ICD billing, and document preparation. It was closer to the type of work I had done in the past.

I would like to pursue the medical route at this time. I did come from a nursing background. I plan to do EMT-B certification with the EKG and phlebotomy training that I had recently completed. If given a chance to pursue it, I may just want to stop at RN because I would prefer just to administer drugs and assist with assessments in research. Otherwise, I may just go into MA work in the mean time to gain experience and assist providers during shadowing.

Last edited: