Loyola Marymount PostBacc University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

john3375

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! I recently applied to Loyola Marymount Post Bacc in California. Has anyone heard back from the program? Has anyone matriculated? Any feedback on the program?

Members don't see this ad.

I applied and got accepted! Trying to decide whether or not to commit... I'm a little conflicted. What is your insight on the program?

Hey! I like the program because of the small class size, great location and the D.O. Linkage! I haven’t seen much about the program but I liked the director and talking with them really showed me just how helpful and truly dedicated to their student’s success! I also like the different pathway options they have as far as the length!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was really drawn to the linkage as well, but I just discovered that if you don't get accepted to Western through the linkage, you'd have to wait a whole year before applying to other med schools... So you'd start the post bac in Summer 2020, finish in the Fall of 2021, and start med school in Fall 2020 if you get into Western through the linkage, but, if not, you wouldn't start med school until Fall 2023. I was told you are not allowed to apply to the linkage and apply broadly at the same time which kind of stinks- it's a long gap between the first pre-med pre requisites you take and the time you would actually start med school. Did you apply to UCSD pre-health post bac?

No I didn’t. I applied to LMU, CalState Fullerton, Temple, and Meredith in NC. I like LMU overall the best & the only doctors I have shadowed were all D.O.. & there are ways to beef up your D.O applications. Also too, the last doctor that I shadowed told me that the timeline is nice but its better to take your time and end up where you belong than to be an applicant that just gets somewhere because it’s going to be a tough road and you should want to be somewhere you enjoy. I am young and this my second career, if I have to wait an extra year, I will just either work in my first career field or just relax & spend time with my kid. So the wait/rush for me isn’t as important as it ia for some other people.

No I didn’t. I applied to LMU, CalState Fullerton, Temple, and Meredith in NC. I like LMU overall the best & the only doctors I have shadowed were all D.O.. & there are ways to beef up your D.O applications. Also too, the last doctor that I shadowed told me that the timeline is nice but its better to take your time and end up where you belong than to be an applicant that just gets somewhere because it’s going to be a tough road and you should want to be somewhere you enjoy. I am young and this my second career, if I have to wait an extra year, I will just either work in my first career field or just relax & spend time with my kid. So the wait/rush for me isn’t as important as it ia for some other people.

Hi there, did you end up committing? I got accepted to start in Fall 2020 I aslo, have not heard much about LMU. Although the director seemed to care about student's outcome. I have also been accepted to WashU, but not sure which one to pick now. WashU's advisor was very brief and did not care much. I had to ask a lot of questions. They just seemed like all they care about is money and not your success. However, WashU has massive research and EC opportunities because of their med school. So NOW I am very conflicted.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey! I did end up committing! For me, it came down to the simple care of the director! She was able to tell me exactly what I needed and even encouraged me to do research and instructed me on how to find that with their program. While they are smaller and provide less linkage options, the quality of your letters will be so much better because you will have a chance to actually get to know your professors & help the local community!

Just an update.. im not going to the program...

hi! Just wondering why you didn’t decide to do the LMU post bac. Also, just wondering If were you able to connect with any recent alumni from The program prior to applying?

hi! Just wondering why you didn’t decide to do the LMU post bac. Also, just wondering If were you able to connect with any recent alumni from The program prior to applying?

money. After talking with the admissons department for the med school I wanted to attend, I decided to just go the community college route. It’s $5,000 versus $45,000. I’m a strong student, so i figured I can do it on my own. Financial aid is extremely slow to respond and I felt like it was setup that way purposely to keep deposits because they responded 4 months after I submitted the fafsa. I also haven’t found anyone willing to respond about their experience... lastly, the cohort vibe that was discussed in the interview doesn’t seem to be there and they don’t have any ways of connecting students with each other except orientation.... At that point, I just took the loss on the deposit and decided to go the cheaper route if I was going to do everything on my own. Plus, I just downloaded a premed schedule from different PostBacs and undergrad programs and put together my own schedule.

money. After talking with the admissons department for the med school I wanted to attend, I decided to just go the community college route. It’s $5,000 versus $45,000. I’m a strong student, so i figured I can do it on my own. Financial aid is extremely slow to respond and I felt like it was setup that way purposely to keep deposits because they responded 4 months after I submitted the fafsa. I also haven’t found anyone willing to respond about their experience... lastly, the cohort vibe that was discussed in the interview doesn’t seem to be there and they don’t have any ways of connecting students with each other except orientation.... At that point, I just took the loss on the deposit and decided to go the cheaper route if I was going to do everything on my own. Plus, I just downloaded a premed schedule from different PostBacs and undergrad programs and put together my own schedule.

‘thank you for that! it’s been tough to find any information on that program so I appreciate you sharing what you experienced. I also can’t find any alumni at medical school except the two on their website. Best wishes to you on your journey

No problem! Best wishes to you as well!

Would you please share what factors did you consider before deciding to choose the CC route? Did the adcom at the med school tell you CC is ok? I thought there was a stigma among adcoms with pre-reqs taken at a CC vs. 4-yr University. Well I have a below average cGPA, that's why I chose formal post-bacc since I don't have my undergrad GPA working for me, so figured to take the formal post-bacc route at a university to show adcoms my academic competencies.

It boils down to money and academic ability.. as a career changer, I am taking everything so I am not really boosting a gpa, more so creating one! 1 year of sciences plus biochem & Calculus! I spoke with the admissions department of the school that I want to go and it’s about how well you do in the classes, shadowing/volunteer experience and the why behind your choice to go into medicine. The only course that I was told that looks better at the 4-year is Biochem but at the school I want to to attend thats not even a requirement just a recommendation. Most schools that I have talked to MD/Do understand that there is no longer one pathway to medicine and I think before investing that money I had to take a long time to realize that I already have debt from one masters, I am not willingto take an additional $50k out plus, medical school! I have a kid to think about.
Idk if it matters but my undergrad gpa is a 3.687 and my Sgpa: 3.0