USMLE Low STEP1, Failed STEP2CK. US-IMG, Need advice please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefulfuturedoctor12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I am a current 2nd yr medstudent writing on behalf of friend who is 4th yr

Step1- 203
Step2CS-passed first try
Failed step2 ck
failed family med shelf & retook it passed.
US-IMG from top 4 caribbean

She is planning to apply this upcoming cycle to family med and psych and retaking the Step2CK either late August/early Sept

Any hope on matching? Any advice/tips?

Please no “just give up” advice. I’m looking for real advice that I can show her to try to help her. She is feeling really down given the circumstances.

Thank you guys

Members don't see this ad.

She has sooo many red flags. Carib, a board failure, low step 1..

Psych isn’t happening
Apply to EVERY FM program out there and cross your fingers.

Unfortunately, i dont see a match happening, but she won’t if she doesn’t apply at all. Best of luck

Reactions: 2 users
Psych is long gone. FM is most likely long gone as well. Save up some money, and like ciestar said, apply to every single rural FM program available. I wish you the best of luck.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello I am a current 2nd yr medstudent writing on behalf of friend who is 4th yr

Step1- 203
Step2CS-passed first try
Failed step2 ck

She is planning to apply this upcoming cycle to family med and psych and retaking the Step2CK either late August/early Sept

Please no “just give up” advice. I’m looking for real advice that I can show her to try to help her. She is feeling really down given the circumstances.

Thank you guys

I would take this as a warning for what could happen to you (if you’re also a Caribbean student) and a kick in the butt to not fail boards as an IMG.

Regrettably the only option is to try and match with the reality being that it might not happen

35% of US-IMGs applying psych with a 200-209 matched between 2014-2019.
55% matched into FM.
Not sure how a board failure plays into it, but based on this data there is still decent(?) chance she can match psych and a better chance she can match FM.

Source: Tableau Public

Step1- 203
Step2CS-passed first try
Failed step2 ck

Thank you guys
PM me.