Low Step 2 CK (217). Able to match Pediatrics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctordo123

Reaction score
Hello Sdn,

I just received my step 2ck score of a 217 and I am absolutely devastated. All of my practice exams were in the 230-240 range with free 120 scores above 75% and I have no idea where this test went wrong. Here are some of my other stats:

Step 1- Pass
Level 1-Pass
Sigma Sigma Phi honors society member
Top quartile of my class
Still waiting on Level 2 score.
1 publication lots of poster presentations
Great LORs
No other red flags on app

I am in a panic, and I have no idea if I can even still match Pediatrics with a score that low. I really only see myself doing peds and I just want any advice on how to navigate this horrible outcome. I appreciate you all.

Members don't see this ad.

Same advice as mentioned in the thread below

You’ll be fine. Use residencyexplorer.org (you’ll need your aamc login credentials) to compare different residency programs based on stats that have matched before.

Same advice as mentioned in the thread below

You’ll be fine. Use residencyexplorer.org (you’ll need your aamc login credentials) to compare different residency programs based on stats that have matched before.
Thank you! I tried using the residency explorer with my specific stats but they recently removed it for the 2024 cycle due to not enough data for this unique match with step/level P/F. I was planning on applying extremely broadly to programs that are mostly DO/IMG friendly but I didn’t know how many programs I should aim to apply to? Around 80?

Members don't see this ad :)
Step 1- Pass
Level 1-Pass
Sigma Sigma Phi honors society member
Top quartile of my class
Still waiting on Level 2 score.
Bottom line: You shouldn't having any problem matching peds with these.

Would apply to a wide ranging caliber of programs, but I want to make a point of NOT eliminating what you would consider as "reaches" despite the low Step 2 score. So far passing everything with SSP and top quartile performance sets you up for very favorably, including matching at tertiary ACGME programs.

Sorry about your Step 2, strange given your otherwise strong historical performance. But sit back, breathe, and wait for Lvl2 score to come back. As long as you haven't bombed Lvl2, you should be all good. I've been away from SDN for quite a while, not sure who are the pediatric residency gurus here. But these folks might be able to rattle off some names here 📟 @Goro @gyngyn.

I recommend that you include all the historically peds DO programs.
There were 91 unfilled peds spots in the match last year. Ask your faculty mentors to help you identify these programs. They don't want to go through that again. Ask them to reach out to folks in programs where you are a good fit, as well.

Last edited:
Bottom line: You shouldn't having any problem matching peds with these.

Would apply to a wide ranging caliber of programs, but I want to make a point of NOT eliminating what you would consider as "reaches" despite the low Step 2 score. So far passing everything with SSP and top quartile performance sets you up for very favorably, including matching at tertiary ACGME programs.

Sorry about your Step 2, strange given your otherwise strong historical performance. But sit back, breathe, and wait for Lvl2 score to come back. As long as you haven't bombed Lvl2, you should be all good. I've been away from SDN for quite a while, not sure who are the pediatric residency gurus here. But these folks might be able to rattle off some names here 📟 @Goro @gyngyn.
Thank you so much!! Do you think I need to be strategic for the regional preferences I put (focusing more on midwest) vs what I was going to put: Mountain (AZ, CO, ID, MT, NV, NM, UT, WY), South Atlantic (DE, DC, FL, GA, MD, NC, PR, SC, VA, VI, WV), Middle Atlantic (NJ, NY, PA). I was planning on applying very broadly to 80 programs, but want to give myself the best shot with the regional preference as well.