Low Step 1, what's the next step?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tommycat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my step 1 back (231) and it's a bit lower than where my practice scores were (mid 240s). Pretty average student in my class ranking so not expecting AOA. I'm just starting my clerkships so I want to gauge what my next step should be if I wanted to pursue ophtho. Are my odds decent or will this be a grueling uphill battle? I'm 2nd author on two papers (GI surgery) and I did a poster presentation at ARVO (1 year ophtho research). What should my next step be? I'm probably going to take a year off to do ophtho research but I'm not sure what to do as far as step II goes and everything else. Any help is much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I just got my step 1 back (231) and it's a bit lower than where my practice scores were (mid 240s). Pretty average student in my class ranking so not expecting AOA. I'm just starting my clerkships so I want to gauge what my next step should be if I wanted to pursue ophtho. Are my odds decent or will this be a grueling uphill battle? I'm 2nd author on two papers (GI surgery) and I did a poster presentation at ARVO (1 year ophtho research). What should my next step be? I'm probably going to take a year off to do ophtho research but I'm not sure what to do as far as step II goes and everything else. Any help is much appreciated.

Last edited:
Crushing step 2 before you apply to for Ophthalmology would help a bit, but 231 certainly is a respectable score. Honoring multiple 3rd year clerkships would be good.

You only got 1 ARVO presentation out of a year of Ophthalmology Research? At least you have some research I guess.

If you applied to low-mid tier schools, you would have a chance to match this year. Taking a year off to do more research may help, but that's a lot of opportunity cost there and another year for loan interest to build up. You'd need to get more than 1 ARVO poster out of it...

Members don't see this ad :)
Crushing step 2 before you apply to for Ophthalmology would help a bit, but 231 certainly is a respectable score. Honoring multiple 3rd year clerkships would be good.

You only got 1 ARVO presentation out of a year of Ophthalmology Research? At least you have some research I guess.

If you applied to low-mid tier schools, you would have a chance to match this year. Taking a year off to do more research may help, but that's a lot of opportunity cost there and another year for loan interest to build up. You'd need to get more than 1 ARVO poster out of it...

I wouldn't take a year off with a 231... Not worth it. Most programs will see a 230 and say you're ok. I've heard program directors flat out say they don't see much of a difference between a 230 and a 250. Sure you'll be hard pressed to make a top 10 to 20 program without friends in high places or impressive research, but who cares. Don't bomb your clerkships, do well on step 2 and keep being involved. Unless you love the research grind or are at a top ophtho med school program, or plan to go to one for research then don't take a year off...

Apply broadly

I wouldn't take a year off with a 231... Not worth it. Most programs will see a 230 and say you're ok. I've heard program directors flat out say they don't see much of a difference between a 230 and a 250. Sure you'll be hard pressed to make a top 10 to 20 program without friends in high places or impressive research, but who cares. Don't bomb your clerkships, do well on step 2 and keep being involved. Unless you love the research grind or are at a top ophtho med school program, or plan to go to one for research then don't take a year off...

Apply broadly

I do think a year of research would help, but I agree it is not worth it. I certainly would not take a year off in your shoes.

Reactions: 1 user
This question is asked like every other week. The last time it was asked I think the step 1 score was ~230 too.

Yes, 231 is under the average, but that doesn't mean it's impossible to match. There are plenty of people who score less than the average and match (that's why its just the average).

Things you can work on to compensate:
1. Step 2
2. Research
3. Clinical grades
4. Letters of Rec
5. Extracurriculars (ophtho-related)
6. Connections - if you can make a solid connection to someone who would be willing to vouch for you (beyond a LOR) this is golden. I know a handful of people across multiple residency programs who were completely undeserving of a spot (and went on to make awful residents) but they landed the position because of their connections into the program.

Last edited:
This question is asked like every other week. The last time it was asked I think the step 1 score was ~230 too.

Yes, 231 is under the average, but that doesn't mean it's impossible to match. There are plenty of people who score less than the average and match (that's why its just the average).

Things you can work on to compensate:
1. Step 2
2. Research
3. Clinical grades
4. Letters of Rec
5. Extracurriculars (ophtho-related)
6. Connections - if you can make a solid connection to someone who would be willing to vouch for you (beyond a LOR) this is golden. I know a handful of people across multiple residency programs who were completely underserving of a spot (and went on to make awful residents) but they landed the position because of their connections into the program.

Agree with ELL. Take a look at the other "what are my chances" threads.

Just to add: Time off would depend on what caliber/type of program you are interested in.
If matching anywhere is your goal, you should probably be fine as long as you apply broadly and interview normally.
If you are geographically limited, everyone in your class is applying for ophthalmology, or interested in competitive programs, a productive year off should help.

thanks for the advice everyone. im going to meet with my school's PD and seek out his opinion as well. i'm not geographically limited and would graciously accept any options i am given. if i choose to apply next year, around what time would I need to do an ophtho clerkship in order for the grade to be seen? If I took a research year off, how much would i need to accomplish for it to be considered "worth it"?

Try to do an Ophtho clerkship before the end of 3rd year/fall of your senior year so that you can have a grade in time. Probably by July, maybe Aug. Ophtho apps are a month or so earlier than ERAS. I'm not sure what's considered worth it research wise

Apply broadly

Nah. There's a huge difference between 230 and 250.

But agree that a 231 isn't a score to take a year off with.

Nah. There's a huge difference between 230 and 250.

But agree that a 231 isn't a score to take a year off with.

I agree with you, but I didn't imagine program directors saying this. At the end of the day I do believe there at other parts of the application that can make a 230 look as stellar as a 250. I also believe there are committees that agree with me. Which is why you have people like me (sub 230) that match sometimes and people with 250s that don't match sometimes.