Low stats for Physical therapy school..Need help!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RCA20

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
According to PTCAS, I have a 2.9 gpa (prereq) 3.0 (overall gpa) and a 3.4 (grad gpa). DIdnt do so well on my gre, (710) and scored a 3 on writing. Do you think there's any hope of getting into physical therapy school??? Need advice!! Because I know Im goin against other people with really high gpa's.

Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

It just depends.....where all did you apply? And besides GPA and GRE stats, what extracurricular activities have you been involved in? Not every school focuses strictly on GPA/GRE stats. For example at the WashU open house, the director told us a story about an applicant who was a PTA for 17 years, but had a very low GPA (like a 2.3). They accepted him based on his experience as a PTA alone! While I doubt anyone on here has been a PTA for 17 years or is a PTA at the least, volunteer experience and observational hours play a HUGE role in the admissions process. So don't feel down.....there is always hope!

I applied to UMC, Alabama State, Tennessee State, St. Augustine, Arkansas State, and Famu. I was very-very active during undergraduate and less active during graduate school. I have 80 hours of volunteer hours, which is the minimum for my schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to UMC, Alabama State, Tennessee State, St. Augustine, Arkansas State, and Famu. I was very-very active during undergraduate and less active during graduate school. I have 80 hours of volunteer hours, which is the minimum for my schools.

With how low your GPA and GRE are, it's very unlikely you'll get accepted, plus you say you have 80 hours- the minimum. You need to do something to drastically increase your chances of being a good canidate. You need to re-take the GRE and get a score above 1000 (at least) and clock in a LOT more hours (I'm thinking like hundreds) to off-set the low gpa.

Not trying to be harsh, but we need to be realistic. It's competitive for a reason...

That GRE score is going to kill you in the application process unless you are applying to a school that doesn't require it (like Pacific U). If I were you, I would volunteer as much as humanly possible in many different PT settings. If you have a couple of classes that you know you can do better in, retake them. Retake the GRE and make sure you prepare properly, especially for the verbal section. The bare minimum is not going to get you into PT school, bottom line. Schools want candidates who are going to succeed, so you have to prove to them that you will.

I'm going to agree with what's been said. I had a similar undergraduate GPA (3.0) but about 5,500 hours of PT experience in 4 different settings a higher GRE, good grad GPA and I got waitlisted at one school denied at two and finally admitted at one. Are you still in graduate school? can you improve that 3.4 grad school gpa? like maybe the next two semesters shoot for a 4.0. That will at least show you can be successful at the graduate level. retake pre-reqs and that GRE and improve on it. Cause even if you hit below 1000 at least they'll see improvement. If this is what you really want to do, don't give up on it BUT take the steps necessary to better your chances.

Your GPA is bare minimum (both), Your GRE score is 710 which is out of 1600 (less than 50%) and writing 3.0/6.0

If you had a good GRE score over 1000 and 5/6, then you could have had some chance, but it is not looking good. I would still take my chances and apply, or sit out a year, study REALLY hard for the GREs and get a good score and re-apply. You can make an argument against your low GPA with a good GRE score.

Arkansas State doesn't require the GRE but your GPA is very low. As someone above said "It is competitive for a reason". There are so many people who have a 3.5 + GPA and a 1000 + GRE that are applying to these schools. I have seen posts of people getting in to schools with lower stats than those I posted, but I would wager that they are few and far between.

I know it has been suggested to log more observation hours, but honestly I don't see this being a big help with very low stats. I feel that admissions committees know that we don't actually get to do anything during observations except observe. I don't see how watching a PT work for 500 hours versus 80-100 hours is going to say anything about possible future success in a program.

You have a lot of work to do on your stats. That's just how it is.

RCA20 Im in the same boat as you.
(3.17 Overall, 2.8 PRE REQ [changing to a 3.2 after this semester but it doesnt even count :(], a 850 GRE and 140 hrs.) My stats are pretty low as well, I applied to 9 schools and so far got rejected by pretty much all of them and waiting to hear back from 3 more.

My only advice to ppl with lower stats that are anxious to start in the Fall would be to apply extremely early. If you wanted Fall 2011 admission you should apply in August/September and likewise for Fall 2012.

Im still crossing my fingers for the other schools and Im hoping that they give me a chance, because Im truly committed to this field. However, if I dont get accepted anywhere else Im going to my undergraduate institution which has the DPT program and they accept 100% of their own undergraduates with a GPA above a 3.0. So if your undergraduate institution has the DPT program I STRONGLY suggest that you apply there as a safety and you dont have to prolong your education any further.

Any other questions PM me. Good Luck.

Johncronejr-

You are talking about observation hours. I was referring to experience hours. There is a big difference between observing and doing it. As an aide I have been able to do independent treatments in an acute, post-acute, outpatient and skilled nursing setting (granted it's nothing advanced), All within legal limitations. Not to mention I've been able to assist in vestibular rehab, wound care, and just about every type of evaluation/treatment. I think schools such as Emory for example look very highly into experience because they know that you'll probably learn a thing or two.

It depends on where you get your experience. Nonetheless there is a large difference between observation and experience.

i really REALLY liked the Princeton Review (for the GRE) - came /w sample tests (both on paper and cd) - and really broke it down on HOW to take the GRE - try and pick up a copy from your local public library