Low Stats, Apply This Cycle or Wait and Improve Chances ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StvphFolarin

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings everyone,

I am a recent graduate that'll be applying for the first time during this year 2019/2020 cycle. I was hoping to be able to get some feedback in terms of my stats and overall chances. To be noted I am retaking Biology 1 & AP 1 this fall at a community college. With 3 C's I know my chances are slim that's why I'm looking at schools with late deadlines past (December and after) so that I can update 2/3 of those C's possibly. If anyone has ever been in this position your feedback would be of great usage!

Undergrad: University of North Carolina at Greensboro (2019)
Major: Kinesiology
Overall GPA: (3.27) Both schools combined, *I transferred schools after my sophomore year, graduated from UNCG with a (3.52)
Pre-Req GPA: (3.0) depending on school... as you can suspect fairly low with those C's, with retake of those classes around 3.3-3.4
GRE: Taking this July
LOR: 2 PT's, 1 professor

Volunteer/Observation hrs: 300 hrs outpatient (mixture of home health, neurology, & ortho), 30 hrs inpatient acute care, plan on getting more hrs as I retake those 2 classes.

Extracurricular Activities/ Experiences: Exercise Physiology subject in Hydration, Environment and Thermal (H.E.A.T) Stress Lab, Member of UNCG Club basketball for 2 years, Kinesiology club member, Triple Lakes marathon volunteer, outpatient physical therapy intern

Certifications: Adult and Pediatric First Aid/CPR/AED

Schools Appylying: Hampton U, Campbell U, Wingate U, WSSU, University of Oklahoma, UNT, Augusta U, Brenau U, FAMU, University of St. Augustine-FL, George Washington U, Howard U, Arkansas State U, Midwestern University-Glendale

Members don't see this ad.

For now you can try to apply to schools that do not have very high requirements, like St Augustine (I am not familiar with the rest of schools on your list). They still may accept you with your current stats if you meet their minimum GRE requirements.
I do not think you need more observation hours, you have plenty and you have been to variety of settings, so I would not waste my time on that.
Make sure you study for GRE and, preferably, take practice tests to see where you stand before registering/taking it not to waste money on re-takes.

I think your pGPA is your weakness. You should wait to apply until you have re-taken every pre-req class where you had a 'C'. Work really hard to replace those with 'A's and look for schools that replace the 'C's with the new grade instead of averaging the two. If you didn't get an 'A' on both AP I & II, then take them both again. No other class is a better indicator of your future success in PT school. Remember, it isn't just about getting a high enough GPA to get accepted, you also need to know this stuff backwards and forwards to be a good PT student.

Members don't see this ad :)
For now you can try to apply to schools that do not have very high requirements, like St Augustine (I am not familiar with the rest of schools on your list). They still may accept you with your current stats if you meet their minimum GRE requirements.
I do not think you need more observation hours, you have plenty and you have been to variety of settings, so I would not waste my time on that.
Make sure you study for GRE and, preferably, take practice tests to see where you stand before registering/taking it not to waste money on re-takes.
Gotcha thank you!

Greetings everyone,

I am a recent graduate that'll be applying for the first time during this year 2019/2020 cycle. I was hoping to be able to get some feedback in terms of my stats and overall chances. To be noted I am retaking Biology 1 & AP 1 this fall at a community college. With 3 C's I know my chances are slim that's why I'm looking at schools with late deadlines past (December and after) so that I can update 2/3 of those C's possibly. If anyone has ever been in this position your feedback would be of great usage!

Undergrad: University of North Carolina at Greensboro (2019)
Major: Kinesiology
Overall GPA: (3.27) Both schools combined, *I transferred schools after my sophomore year, graduated from UNCG with a (3.52)
Pre-Req GPA: (3.0) depending on school... as you can suspect fairly low with those C's, with retake of those classes around 3.3-3.4
GRE: Taking this July
LOR: 2 PT's, 1 professor

Volunteer/Observation hrs: 300 hrs outpatient (mixture of home health, neurology, & ortho), 30 hrs inpatient acute care, plan on getting more hrs as I retake those 2 classes.

Extracurricular Activities/ Experiences: Exercise Physiology subject in Hydration, Environment and Thermal (H.E.A.T) Stress Lab, Member of UNCG Club basketball for 2 years, Kinesiology club member, Triple Lakes marathon volunteer, outpatient physical therapy intern

Certifications: Adult and Pediatric First Aid/CPR/AED

Schools Appylying: Hampton U, Campbell U, Wingate U, WSSU, University of Oklahoma, UNT, Augusta U, Brenau U, FAMU, University of St. Augustine-FL, George Washington U, Howard U, Arkansas State U, Midwestern University-Glendale

Hello! I had essentially the same GPAs as you (both pre-req and overall and also 3 C's - technically 4 but I re-took one class for a B+). I got into two schools, waitlisted at 4. I would be very selective with where you apply. Lots of schools won't even look at your application but many will. I also made sure my GRE score was above average, I had about 1200 hours observation and lots of leadership roles. I applied right out of undergrad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello! I had essentially the same GPAs as you (both pre-req and overall and also 3 C's - technically 4 but I re-took one class for a B+). I got into two schools, waitlisted at 4. I would be very selective with where you apply. Lots of schools won't even look at your application but many will. I also made sure my GRE score was above average, I had about 1200 hours observation and lots of leadership roles. I applied right out of undergrad.
Would you mind sharing the schools you applied to and were accpeted into?