Low sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dental720

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be applying to dental schools next cycle, but I am unsure if I will be admitted with my sgpa.

Throughout my undergrad career I may have taken on too much. I double majored in Psychology and human biology and graduated from the honors program in psychology, which required an honors thesis. So I had at times 19 credit semesters in order to graduate in time.

I was a research assistant in a cognitive lab and conducted my own research in social psych. I was president of the psych honor society, joined a sorority, and worked part-time. I also studied developmental issues abroad in India. Lastly I have been working as a dental assistant full time for the last two summers and now after graduating in May. Although I have all of that to talk about in an interview and received a strong committee letter, I feel as though a 3.2- 3.3 sgpa may be too low too even get me an interview. My overall gpa is a 3.7 but my psych classes helped with that. I also struggled with some my father's health issues throughout college, but I wouldn't want to talk about that to admissions. I will be taking a Kaplan course next month and taking the DAT.

Could a strong DAT score save me? Should I take some post Bach courses? Where do I go from here?

Members don't see this ad.

I got in with a 2.89 sGPA but also 29 in Orgo and 25 in GChem on my DATs

Just do well on your DAT and make sure you have an upward trend in those classes. I wouldn't bother retaking classes unless you get Ds or lower

Reactions: 1 users

Just do well on your DAT and make sure you have an upward trend in those classes. I wouldn't bother retaking classes unless you get Ds or lower

Do you mind saying where you were accepted?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got into my dream school with a 3.37 sGPA, but with a 29 Orgo, 28 GC, and 25 TS

Make sure your TS is strong on the DAT and you will be fine.

Your sGPA is fine. Not spectacular but not something that will immediately turn away dental schools.

Focus on doing well on the DAT. If you're dead set on using Kaplan, I would also buy some supplemental materials like Destroyer, Chad's, Bootcamp, etc. DM me if you have any questions.

I got into my dream school with a 3.37 sGPA, but with a 29 Orgo, 28 GC, and 25 TS

Make sure your TS is strong on the DAT and you will be fine.

Do you mind sharing your full stats? And where you applied? I've applied this cycle and I haven't gotten an interview yet.

I got in with these:
sGPA 3.3 oGPA 3.6 and my major was public health. I'm doing a master's in biology right now. I had a 3.08 and took a semester of post bac science courses (15 hours I think) after graduating which bumped up my sGPA a lot.
DAT 21 AA and TS

YOU CAN DO IT!!

I would recommend taking classes while you are applying in areas you are weak in if you can to show that you are continually trying to improve and get a better grasp of subjects within Biology. However, if you are working full time and can't do school full time or part time, just focus on how your DA experience! I think you'll definitely have a fighting chance. I would go through the destroyer at least 3-4 times front to back and really focus on it (even though it's really long and cumbersome) along with what the others mentioned. I know it's kind of pricey but TRUST me this is an investment and can save you a whole year of reapplying.

If I can do it, SO CAN YOU!!!!! Feel free to DM if you have any specific questions.

I got in with these:
sGPA 3.3 oGPA 3.6 and my major was public health. I'm doing a master's in biology right now. I had a 3.08 and took a semester of post bac science courses (15 hours I think) after graduating which bumped up my sGPA a lot.
DAT 21 AA and TS

YOU CAN DO IT!!

I would recommend taking classes while you are applying in areas you are weak in if you can to show that you are continually trying to improve and get a better grasp of subjects within Biology. However, if you are working full time and can't do school full time or part time, just focus on how your DA experience! I think you'll definitely have a fighting chance. I would go through the destroyer at least 3-4 times front to back and really focus on it (even though it's really long and cumbersome) along with what the others mentioned. I know it's kind of pricey but TRUST me this is an investment and can save you a whole year of reapplying.

If I can do it, SO CAN YOU!!!!! Feel free to DM if you have any specific questions.

Hi! I had a question too. It is my second time retaking it and I got AA 18, TS 18, PAT 23, 19 BIO, 18 GC, 15 OC, 20 QR, 19 RC, 3.15 oGPA, 2.9 sGPA with 100+ shadowing/volunteer hours. I ran out of time on OC and was a bit thrown off with a few of the questions I wasn't expecting. I'm conflicted whether I should hold off and do post-bacc and apply next year, but would really like to apply this cycle. Any feedback is helpful, thank you!

Hi! I had a question too. It is my second time retaking it and I got AA 18, TS 18, PAT 23, 19 BIO, 18 GC, 15 OC, 20 QR, 19 RC, 3.15 oGPA, 2.9 sGPA with 100+ shadowing/volunteer hours. I ran out of time on OC and was a bit thrown off with a few of the questions I wasn't expecting. I'm conflicted whether I should hold off and do post-bacc and apply next year, but would really like to apply this cycle. Any feedback is helpful, thank you!
Don't think you have a chance. Not with 15OC.
Would have Retake DAT. And most likely you'll have to post-bac
Sorry but both are pretty low

Do you mind sharing your full stats? And where you applied? I've applied this cycle and I haven't gotten an interview yet.
It is July 2nd. I don't think anyone has gotten interviews yet.