LOW science GPA...what should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cofo

Super Cool Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I take the DAT this Friday. Even if I were to get 20+ scores, I still feel like I wouldn't stand a chance at getting accepted to dschools when I apply next cycle.
I'm a history major. My sciGPA is 2.73, and my cumGPA is 3.75.
I'm a senior, and the only prereqs I have left to take is biochemistry and both physics.
If I were to make A's in all 3 of those classes, my sciGPA would be brought up to 3.0 exactly. But, this still isn't good enough to get into dschool.

So, I am left with two options.
1. Take biochemistry, both physics...to bring my sciGPA up to a 3.0, and then only take classes that will pertain to me graduating with a degree in history, so that I can graduate in December 2011. AND then get accepted into a 1 year post-bacc/1 year masters program starting spring 2012.

2. Take a bunch of science courses this fall, and next spring to bump my science GPA up to about a 3.1.....apply to dental schools next spring...and hope I get accepted. ...which will postpone me graduating until May 2012. And if I don't get accepted to dschool....then I would get into a 1 year post-bacc/1 year masters program starting in the fall 2012.

I'm afraid that even if I were to take a bunch of science courses, I still won't get accepted because my science GPA would only be about a 3.1.
I feel like I have already screwed myself, and I will have no choice but to do a post-bacc or masters program if I ever want to get into dental school :(

I just don't want to waste anymore time in undergrad, if it seems like now the only way I will ever get into dschool is if I do a post-bacc or masters, you know?

Members don't see this ad.

I take the DAT this Friday. Even if I were to get 20+ scores, I still feel like I wouldn't stand a chance at getting accepted to dschools when I apply next cycle.
I'm a history major. My sciGPA is 2.73, and my cumGPA is 3.75.
I'm a senior, and the only prereqs I have left to take is biochemistry and both physics.
If I were to make A's in all 3 of those classes, my sciGPA would be brought up to 3.0 exactly. But, this still isn't good enough to get into dschool.

So, I am left with two options.
1. Take biochemistry, both physics...to bring my sciGPA up to a 3.0, and then only take classes that will pertain to me graduating with a degree in history, so that I can graduate in December 2011. AND then get accepted into a 1 year post-bacc/1 year masters program starting spring 2012.

2. Take a bunch of science courses this fall, and next spring to bump my science GPA up to about a 3.1.....apply to dental schools next spring...and hope I get accepted. ...which will postpone me graduating until May 2012. And if I don't get accepted to dschool....then I would get into a 1 year post-bacc/1 year masters program starting in the fall 2012.

I'm afraid that even if I were to take a bunch of science courses, I still won't get accepted because my science GPA would only be about a 3.1.
I feel like I have already screwed myself, and I will have no choice but to do a post-bacc or masters program if I ever want to get into dental school :(

I just don't want to waste anymore time in undergrad, if it seems like now the only way I will ever get into dschool is if I do a post-bacc or masters, you know?
getting the masters degree is the best course of action. Dental schools put a lot of weight there. You have to do well tho.

getting the masters degree is the best course of action. Dental schools put a lot of weight there. You have to do well tho.

Thanks. So am I undoubtedly going to have to do a post-bacc or masters if my undergrad sciGPA isn't above a 3.0 or 3.1 by the time I apply to dschools next spring?

Members don't see this ad :)

Pinhi

Do you know if the Master should be in a related field or any Thesis based Master carries a weight ?

Do you know which schools give more weight to the students with Master /PHD degree

Pinhi

Do you know if the Master should be in a related field or any Thesis based Master carries a weight ?

Do you know which schools give more weight to the students with Master /PHD degree
I would say try to get a masters in a science field.....i got mine in biomedical science.....anything that will prepare you for your professional school experience. I didn't do a thesis ....just got an MA (which I think is just fine)....only took 9 months........some people have said an MBS is a bit stronger but I have a feeling that only schools strong in research care about MBS...
There are a lot of different programs out there....even oral tracks that are specific to predents......I was looking around earlier today and saw some pretty extensive lists on the schools and their post bac programs......keep on searching here on SDN..u'll find em'
I have been told that the deans at NOVA and UCSF LOVE LOVE LOVE masters students......im sure there are many more.......UCSF supposedly gives a guaranteed interview to masters students who achieve a 3.5 or better in their graduate programs.......
Great questions!!
Good Luck!! :)

Why do a masters? you have such low amount of credits in your science gpa... just do upper division courses. It only took you three to go from 2.7 to 3.0. Take four - five more and get up to a 3.5 ish gpa and you're fine. A masters seems like too much energy/ gamble. Not to mention money.

Why do a masters? you have such low amount of credits in your science gpa... just do upper division courses. It only took you three to go from 2.7 to 3.0. Take four - five more and get up to a 3.5 ish gpa and you're fine. A masters seems like too much energy/ gamble. Not to mention money.

Thanks, I think your advice makes the most sense for my situation. I'll do just that :thumbup:

yeah i'm in the same boat. i'm dropping a major just so i can take a crap load of science classes to get my GPA up this coming year (i'm going to be a senior) so that I can apply next summer. good luck to u btw.