This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hi all,

A brief overview of my situation: cGPA ~3.4, BCPM GPA ~2.5, missing all chemistry classes, prior military, 2000+ hours patient care, healthcare outcomes research, Ivy Master's with GPA ~3.7, healthcare finance/operations job. Would going to community college to finish/retake pre-reqs reflect poorly on my application?

Longer version: started college as a bio-physics major (no interest in medical school at the time) while still serving in the military and balancing external life factors (came from low socioeconomic household). This misguided venture ended poorly. Switched to Reserves and my major to finance, killed it with a 3.9 major GPA. Went to grad school and did well, now I'm working in a quintessential Wall Street-ish job centered around healthcare.

I want to go back to medical school to practice rural medicine, aiming for DO schools. I have my bio's done (C in one, D with a retake to C+ in the other) and physics (B in both). I took these about five years ago. There is no way I can maintain this job and try to complete pre-recs so I'd have to go part-time in a hospital or something. I need financial aid to go back to a four year university which I won't qualify for as a non-degree student, missing too many classes for a grade repair SMP, and have too many classes/did too poorly for career changer. Community college is looking like the only feasible option, but I have concerns as I had low grades at a four year university. Anyone have any concrete advice for my situation?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The important thing now is to show that you can handle the rigors of med school, even if your cumulative GPA will remain low. I would take a full year of post-bac with upper level science classes and get a 4.0, get all your pre-reqs done, and kill the MCAT.

Look up goro's guide for reinvention.

Reactions: 1 user
The important thing now is to show that you can handle the rigors of med school, even if your cumulative GPA will remain low. I would take a full year of post-bac with upper level science classes and get a 4.0, get all your pre-reqs done, and kill the MCAT.

Look up goro's guide for reinvention.

Thanks for the tip! My concern is that I'll feasibly only be able to do a DIY at a CC. Would that be a concern given the poor record at a four year? Ideally, a successful CC DIY will lead to acceptance, but open to post-bacc with linkage if necessary.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the tip! My concern is that I'll feasibly only be able to do a DIY at a CC. Would that be a concern given the poor record at a four year? Ideally, a successful CC DIY will lead to acceptance, but open to post-bacc with linkage if necessary.
If you’re a non-trad, CC courses are less of an issue. What med schools hate seeing is if you’re a tradition 4-year student who hopped over to a CC to take science classes to avoid harder courses that might ding their GPA. If you finish your pre-reqs at a CC but take a couple higher level courses at a 4-year, it should not be an issue. Adcoms understand that people need jobs to pay the bills and it would be absurd to expect you to regress back to being an undergrad and dropping the rest of your life.

If you’re a non-trad, CC courses are less of an issue. What med schools hate seeing is if you’re a tradition 4-year student who hopped over to a CC to take science classes to avoid harder courses that might ding their GPA. If you finish your pre-reqs at a CC but take a couple higher level courses at a 4-year, it should not be an issue. Adcoms understand that people need jobs to pay the bills and it would be absurd to expect you to regress back to being an undergrad and dropping the rest of your life.

Glad to hear. I was worried with the removal of grade replacement for DO how to approach. After a quick calculation, I can expect to go from a ~2.5 sGPA to an ~3.3 sGPA with 3.8 average CC pre-reqs GPA. Easier said than done, obviously.

Glad to hear. I was worried with the removal of grade replacement for DO how to approach. After a quick calculation, I can expect to go from a ~2.5 sGPA to an ~3.3 sGPA with 3.8 average CC pre-reqs GPA. Easier said than done, obviously.
I think this goes without saying, but if you’re taking your prereqs at a CC, make sure you’re getting all A’s

Other than academics, if you are interested in rural health, I would suggest doing volunteering with rural or underserved communities. It doesn’t necessarily have to be health care related, but a lot of consistent volunteer hours in that field would show DO schools that you’re serious about this topic and not just writing about it in your personal statement.

Good luck!

Hi all,

A brief overview of my situation: cGPA ~3.4, BCPM GPA ~2.5, missing all chemistry classes, prior military, 2000+ hours patient care, healthcare outcomes research, Ivy Master's with GPA ~3.7, healthcare finance/operations job. Would going to community college to finish/retake pre-reqs reflect poorly on my application?

Longer version: started college as a bio-physics major (no interest in medical school at the time) while still serving in the military and balancing external life factors (came from low socioeconomic household). This misguided venture ended poorly. Switched to Reserves and my major to finance, killed it with a 3.9 major GPA. Went to grad school and did well, now I'm working in a quintessential Wall Street-ish job centered around healthcare.

I want to go back to medical school to practice rural medicine, aiming for DO schools. I have my bio's done (C in one, D with a retake to C+ in the other) and physics (B in both). I took these about five years ago. There is no way I can maintain this job and try to complete pre-recs so I'd have to go part-time in a hospital or something. I need financial aid to go back to a four year university which I won't qualify for as a non-degree student, missing too many classes for a grade repair SMP, and have too many classes/did too poorly for career changer. Community college is looking like the only feasible option, but I have concerns as I had low grades at a four year university. Anyone have any concrete advice for my situation?

Thanks in advance!
Just make sure the schools you are applying to accept CC credit for your pre reqs since not all schools will. You can check the MSAR.

Hi all,

Thanks in advance!
Read this:
Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

And many thanks for your service to our country!