Low MCAT score, what are my chances of getting into a DO program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

esperanta

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First of all I want to thank everybody who takes their time to read this thread.
I graduated 2 years ago with a 3.47 GPA. I took the MCAT in July and scored 17L( which is very low). I was wondering if I have any chance in getting into DO program. I know that I probably have no chances in getting into an MD program, but I am fine with a DO program. I have about 2 years experience working in a laboratory environment and I have volunteered while I was in school. I really want to go back to school next year. Please help

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPA is fine for a D.O. program but I don't think you'll be getting into a D.O. program with a 17L, truthfully your only choice is a retake. You're probably at least 5 points away before many D.O. schools will even look your way.

My suggestion would be to figure out why you scored so low. Did you not study? Do you have test anxiety? Is english a second language? Then give it another shot, with adequate test prep and strengthning your weaknesses you should not have a problem making yourself a solid D.O. candidate.

Last edited:
Agree with the above post.
To be honest, your MCAT score is terrible. You need to improve on that. You need to figure out why your score was so low. No medical school will take you if they don't know you can do the work. They don't want to take someone who might fail out because it's not fair to the student or to the school. Did you not study? Were you not academically prepared? If you need help studying, take Kaplan or the Princeton Review. They can be very helpful. Buckle down and study - studying for the test will be good practice for medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
trying to provide a whiff of hope - just resat for the MCAT after 2 bio courses - bumped the bs section up 5 points versus my score a year ago. The difference was building up core knowledge in that section, which was a weakness for me last year. It can be done, just lots of time and effort is required. Around 6 weeks fulltime studying for this exam after completing the bio courses in my case.

I would agree. MCAT means are going up for DO schools and these days even a 27 or 29 isn't a "shoe-in" for every DO school. You need to get that MCAT up to at least a 24.

Hi there,

I had a 18M and got in. I thought I was dead in the water but apparently not because I got in to DO schools. VCOM overlooks low MCATs as long as the rest of your application is strong. Don't give up if you really wanted to do it. The only thing I would consider is how much are you willing to spend. Tuition is very high for some DO schools especially VCOM (about $32,000) with interest after an average residency you end up owing about $500,000 -$600,000 if not more depending on your living expenses. Just something to consider. Best of luck

Reactions: 1 user
Do you mind sharing your break down of each section if possible......I appreciate in advance because i am also in the same boat :(

Thanks buddy

Hi there,

I had a 18M and got in. I thought I was dead in the water but apparently not because I got in to DO schools. VCOM overlooks low MCATs as long as the rest of your application is strong. Don't give up if you really wanted to do it. The only thing I would consider is how much are you willing to spend. Tuition is very high for some DO schools especially VCOM (about $32,000) with interest after an average residency you end up owing about $500,000 -$600,000 if not more depending on your living expenses. Just something to consider. Best of luck

First of all I want to thank everybody who takes their time to read this thread.
I graduated 2 years ago with a 3.47 GPA. I took the MCAT in July and scored 17L( which is very low). I was wondering if I have any chance in getting into DO program. I know that I probably have no chances in getting into an MD program, but I am fine with a DO program. I have about 2 years experience working in a laboratory environment and I have volunteered while I was in school. I really want to go back to school next year. Please help

You have a solid gpa with a ridiculously terrible MCAT; either you didn't study adequately (my guess, given your gpa) or you have **** for brains. Retake the MCAT. Ask yourself if it's worth blowing a couple of grand on applications with your stats or spending another $210 retaking a test that will infinitely improve your chances if you do well. You'd be a statistically solid applicant with a 24. Seven f'in points.

And I hate it when people write "please help." What do you mean by "please help?" Do you want reassurance, as in "yes, go ahead and apply, if the stars align you might get in?" If you apply this cycle, you might get into one of the many unproven DO schools that are popping up all over the place. A BIG maybe. Or you can retake the test and apply to proven, established schools with solid match lists. Your choice.

Hi there,

Yes, I also know someone that got in with a 19. You just need a very strong application as a whole, ie. strong extracurriculars. Your GPA is pretty good.

LOL at VCOM being high, WVSOM OOS tuition is $50,000.

Hi,

Actually you do have a chance of getting into a MD program have you ever though about going to medical School out of the country. That is what I did!! The school is affliated with the US. I completed my core sciences there; now I am back in the states completing my clinicals then on to residency.

There is Hope!!!1

Reactions: 1 users
WVSOM OOS tuition is $50,000.

That's the #1 reason why I turned down an acceptance from there. Average debt is $300,000 out of school and they are way over the annual cap for federal loans.

F-ing ridiculous to charge that much money for tuition. Talk about serving the "greater good".

On a plus side, they have very nice anatomy lab.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have a solid gpa with a ridiculously terrible MCAT; either you didn't study adequately (my guess, given your gpa) or you have **** for brains. Retake the MCAT. Ask yourself if it's worth blowing a couple of grand on applications with your stats or spending another $210 retaking a test that will infinitely improve your chances if you do well. You'd be a statistically solid applicant with a 24. Seven f'in points.

And I hate it when people write "please help." What do you mean by "please help?" Do you want reassurance, as in "yes, go ahead and apply, if the stars align you might get in?" If you apply this cycle, you might get into one of the many unproven DO schools that are popping up all over the place. A BIG maybe. Or you can retake the test and apply to proven, established schools with solid match lists. Your choice.

I agree with this poster. Esp. with your high GPA, you obviously knew the material being tested. A sub-20 score (for someone with your GPA, in my opinion) shows a lack of studying/commitment to really learning the material. The first time I took the test cold right after completing my 2 years of pre-reqs, (no studying whatsoever) 21Q. Studied seriously for about 5 days, took it a second time, 24R. Studied seriously for 3 weeks, current score 27R. I want to re-take again after studying for 2-3 months but was advised not to, esp. for D.O. schools (but that's a separate issue altogether). So after a few weeks of concentrated study, my abysmal MCAT(s) suddenly turned into a "competitive" score. I guess I can't offer anymore advice beyond what I've already posted since I don't know the specific breakdown of the 17. You should also be aware that a lot of schools will pre-screen based off sub-section scores. I applied last year with a 6 in the BS section, and pre-screening was around an 8 for that section (MD schools; not sure about DO school sub-section cut-offs).

Seriously just do some concentrated study for a few weeks, pull each section up by ~3 points, and you will be solid. Good luck!

C'mon...people getting in with 17's and 19s...that just cant be. I def call shenanigans on that! I just got accepted to a DO school with a two scores of a 32 and 34. I have been getting WL and turned downed by both allopathic and osteopathic schools. if you cant pull at least a mid 20, i really dont know how you would be able to handle the load at any reasonable medical school. That said, hope the retake goes well, I know people who have improved dramatically b/c they got their nerves under control!

I agree... To get into any school with a 17, to me seems impossible. I find it very hard to believe that someone got into VCOM with an 18, when their average MCAT score has gone up every year and is now around ~26.

You need to retake the beast and try and improve your score. It can be done!! Good luck

Yerp a 17 is quite low, but don't worry, its time to think about what your next step will be, bc its obvious that you need to retake it. But use this time to improve your resume in other ways as well. Do some research, volunteer in GOOD clinical medical programs, travel etc.

When I first took the MCAT I got an 18!!! I was totally upset but also knew I wasn't ready for the test, had lots of pressure by my annoyingly competitive class and parents to take it when I wasn't ready. I applied anyway, more pressure by parents, and got rejected. Bad blow to my ego, self esteem, future dreams etc.

So I did what most normal people who do and left the country! I traveled, lived abroad, did ambulance volunteering, lived on a farm. I came back to the US did paid research for the federal goverment and worked in the ER as an medical assistant volunteer, and took Kaplan for the MCAT. I increased by score to a 25 (btw, my verbal was a continuos 6 with both tests). But no one cared, bc I did cool stuff after I graduated college.

I just got accepted to 2 carribean MD programs and have some DO school interviews on the way. No one has mentioned my low verbal score(bc I can talk), and bc they care more about the experiences I have done.

Seriously seriously seriously, don't let anyway talk you down. You can totally improve your score, take lots of practice tests and make good use fo your time off to study. and get advice from people who care about you, not stupid accepted MD, DOs who just want to psych you out and boost their ego. I have been in the worst place after my rejection, but am happy it happened, bc the last three years have been amazing.

future doctor rach.

Reactions: 2 users
I would agree. MCAT means are going up for DO schools and these days even a 27 or 29 isn't a "shoe-in" for every DO school. You need to get that MCAT up to at least a 24.

I agree. It just seems like yesterday that DO MCAT averages were hovering around 25 and now there are some schools with 29 and 30 averages. I know I got in with a lower than average MCAT/ higher than average GPA but I think fewer and fewer examples of this are being seen.

Yes, I also know someone that got in with a 19. You just need a very strong application as a whole, ie. strong extracurriculars. Your GPA is pretty good.

LOL at VCOM being high, WVSOM OOS tuition is $50,000.

MSU's tuition for OOSers is 60K, its outrageous. I think that the schools that are ranked in the U.S. News top medical schools think it is ok to have such high tuition because they are considered a "Top" medical school. To me this tuition is way higher than it should be, and I am probably going to WVSOM next year...Great school but high tuition.

When I first took the MCAT I got an 18!!! I.... I increased by score to a 25 (btw, my verbal was a continuos 6 with both tests). But no one cared, bc I did cool stuff after I graduated college.

I just got accepted to 2 carribean MD programs and have some DO school interviews on the way. No one has mentioned my low verbal score(bc I can talk), and bc they care more about the experiences I have done.

Seriously seriously seriously, don't let anyway talk you down. You can totally improve your score, take lots of practice tests and make good use fo your time off to study. and get advice from people who care about you, not stupid accepted MD, DOs who just want to psych you out and boost their ego.

From what I have seen a 6 will actually get you screened out at most DO schools. Having a 25 with a score of six on Verb would leave you with a pretty unbalanced score and might be cause for concern by some adcoms. And as for psyching people out...what a bunch of hooey. People come to these boards in search for honest assessments which may sometimes include info that is not especially welcoming to hear. The fact remains that people who score that low have an uphill (but not impossible) battle.

From what I have seen a 6 will actually get you screened out at most DO schools. Having a 25 with a score of six on Verb would leave you with a pretty unbalanced score and might be cause for concern by some adcoms. And as for psyching people out...what a bunch of hooey. People come to these boards in search for honest assessments which may sometimes include info that is not especially welcoming to hear. The fact remains that people who score that low have an uphill (but not impossible) battle.

I agree with the rest of your post. However, I've previously taken the time to compile screening criteria used by DO schools here. a 25, with a 6 in VR, will only get you auto screened at OSUCOM. Granted, a 6 is not great, and a 25 gives at least a 4 point spread across sections. As you said, that wouldn't be a good thing, but also isn't impossible to overcome.

Re-take the MCAT. Improving upon that should be easy (i.e. a 17 to a 24)

If you had a 27 and wanted to go to 33, I wouldn't be quite so sure, but you can get into the 24's with some studying EVEN if it means keeping a 6 or 7 in VR, just get 9's in the two sciences... (I know the VR is highly subjective, and hard to study for, but there is no excuse for the other two sections)

If you can't get into the 20's, you might want to reconsider medicine, since you have to pass a similar test to get boarded...

Just my 2 cents

Take your time- retake the test. It's better to retake the test and try applying with a higher score than to rush forward and apply with that score. Try a review course.

MSU's tuition for OOSers is 60K, its outrageous. I think that the schools that are ranked in the U.S. News top medical schools think it is ok to have such high tuition because they are considered a "Top" medical school. To me this tuition is way higher than it should be, and I am probably going to WVSOM next year...Great school but high tuition.

I think when I looked at U of CO OOS tuition was 72K, but I kept thinking this must be a typo :confused:

Im a 4th year in a newer DO school. I got in with a 24 (6v,8p,10b). I thought I barly squeaked in but after talking with classmates I was around average or a just little below. There were lots of people in my class with 30+ scores, mostly 24-28s and a few very low scores.

There were 2 people who got into my school with a 18/19 that I knew of and possibly more that I dont. I believe that they both had good GPAs, one had a masters and both lots of extracur and volunteering.They both had hard working personalities. They both struggled in medschool with grades and I know at least one had to retake the boards but never failed a complete year. But guess what, they will both be graduating with me in 6 months. Its definatly doable if you are willing to work harder than your classmates to get the same grades.

I went in with this attitude and just by putting in a solid organized effort all the way through increased my intellegence alot and really suprised myself on what I cound do. I did very well on my boards and Im in the top 15% of my class for grades. I think I sacaficed more of my free time than my classmates or my friends from other MD schools but Ill be a better doctor because of it and that is all that matters.

DO schools are getting very competitive now...its not like it use to be...Many of them have MCAT avg upwards toward high 20's....the OP will not get in....

At the 2 Fl. DO schools, I know people with verbal scores below 6 who got in off waitlists. Again these were the same people I talked about in the post above. I've heard of other stories as well in the past with people with a 5 or 6 in verbal.

At most lower tier MD schools they say 5 is their cutoff in verbal for what you need to even apply i.e. FSU and some of the HBCUs like Meharry and Howard. I know this b/c my exroommate was told this when she applied with her 23M and was disqualified because of scores below a 5 in VR but she got into Nova and LECOM-B. she had a high GPA and strong ECs.

Of course the fact that she was waitlisted goes to show USArmyDOC's point that it is getting more competitive even for DO schools because a few years ago she might have got into LECOM-B without even a second thought and this time she was waitlisted at both Nova and LECOM-B but got in both eventually. So as for screening, they might not screen you out of consideration bc of one low score if the rest of your sectional scores are high, but it will be an upward battle compared to someone with higher numbers.

What makes the OPs case worse is his GPA is lower by .2 to .4 GPA points then the above cases. Even a few years ago those who had a 25-26 MCAT with a 5 or 6 in VR were those who had 3.6-3.9 GPAs and strong in everything else. So the OP should also consider upping his GPA some.

I was told here at PCOM that the averages are going up real high....upwards towards the 3.5+ range and 27-29 range

I think when I looked at U of CO OOS tuition was 72K, but I kept thinking this must be a typo :confused:

It used to be 70k for the first year and then you were considered an in-state student thereafter. Now, they averaged the tuition together (all 4 years) and split it up equally to give a cost of ~40k/year.

It's hard to come up with 110k for that first year of school.

Look, Med School is a crazy process and no clear way of how ADCOMS accept people. A person who went to my undergrad in the midwest, keep in mind was midwest resident, got rejected from our state school, because he has a MCAT combined score of 25R, he got this score after taking it twice and his score didnt budge. Why the heck did this guy out of the blue just apply to UCLA and got in out of state off the waitlist 2 months before school started, granted his GPA was a 3.83, he got into UCLA OUT OF STATE with a 25, you know how freakin hard that is, its hard to get into that school with a 35, 3.8 instate to get in with those scores out of state.

But in your case I have to agree with the others, just take it, retake it and see what you get, chances are your scores will go up, if they dont, just apply to DO schools and find out for yourself.

By the way, another friend who was my major who had a 3.0/30 got denied two years in a row from all schools not even an interview, he got fustrated and gave up med school and last time i seen him he was carrying a gun, I was like dude what the heck is that for, turned out he became an FBI agent, lol, crazy stuff I tell you, just had to throw that in, because all the pre-meds that went to my school ended up in such diverse careers, mostly non-medical or went to dental school instead.

Getting a low MCAT score is not the end of the world. You can retake it, but before you do you better get studying. With a 3.4 or 3.5 GPA you obviously understand some of the concepts on the test, but understanding and performing are two completely different things. My GPA is a little lower than the first guy's and the first time I took a practice test I got about the same score. Through studying and practice tests I was able to raise my score to a 26. I was disappointed by this score because I had gotten 29's on my last two practice tests. If you really want to get into a school then it is time to get going on your studying. With a bit of hard work I was able to get accepted by 4 schools. You already have a better start than I did with the GPA now just study your tail off and raise your score!

Osteopathic Med Student

your scored so low. you have some problem or Do you not study? do you have problem in english ? Then give it another shot, with adequate test prep and strengthning your weaknesses you should not have a problem making yourself a solid D.O. candidate.

Your GPA is fine for a D.O. program but I don't think you'll be getting into a D.O. program with a 17L, truthfully your only choice is a retake. You're probably at least 5 points away before many D.O. schools will even look your way.

My suggestion would be to figure out why you scored so low. Did you not study? Do you have test anxiety? Is english a second language? Then give it another shot, with adequate test prep and strengthning your weaknesses you should not have a problem making yourself a solid D.O. candidate.

+1 my friend scored low his first time... retook and got a 22. He got an interview and accepted at a D.O. school

Hi there,

Hey. I just applied this June/Septmeber to VCOM with an MCAT of 22 and a GPA of 3.6 and a science GPA of 3.3. I have yet to hear from them but do you know when you were contacted? In the meantime, I've been studying for the MCAT again and plan on taking it in March if no schools accept me by then. I also applied to Howard and a couple other DO schools which have for the most part rejected me.

Hey. I just applied this June/Septmeber to VCOM with an MCAT of 22 and a GPA of 3.6 and a science GPA of 3.3. I have yet to hear from them but do you know when you were contacted? In the meantime, I've been studying for the MCAT again and plan on taking it in March if no schools accept me by then. I also applied to Howard and a couple other DO schools which have for the most part rejected me.

Try PM'ing minddoc on this since the post was made 4 years ago. This may increase your chances of getting him/her.

Hello
I took kaplan on site as well as online class since May. I have been studying while working full time. My exam is this April however my practice test is not getting any better. I always get the low 20s. please I need help how to study and do this exam right. I dont know what I am doing wrong, I practice a lot and try to study 40 hrs a week despite my full time work. i just took a full length aamc practice test today and got only 18 agsin. the scores are spread as below:
physical section :7
VR : 3
Bio: 8

I would greatly greatly appreciate your help please as my exam is jn less than 2 months. what can I do yo improve? Thank you in advance.

Hi there,

You can not be serious!