Low MCAT, good GPA... SMP or Post-Bacc or neither??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr.lenkim

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Almost all the threads I see about SMP or Post-Bacc only, for the most part, refer to these programs for people with low GPA's. But what about the people with low MCAT scores? Are the SMPs and Post-Bac programs not the way to go? From doing some research on a few programs, a number of them have MCAT prep incorporated into the curriculum.

I just need some clarification. I applied this app cycle and I'm still waiting. I haven't had any interview invites so I am just exploring other options for now.

So low MCAT good GPA, SMP or Post Bac or neither? and WHY?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
SMPs are meant to mediate poor academic performance. Not poor standardized test performance. They are completely different things and measure different skill sets and values. Strong SMP students who actually get into medical school already have a good MCAT score; it's the GPA they have to remediate and show isn't representative of their abilities.

You are going to have to overcome whatever weaknesses you have in standardized taking and the MCAT to get into medical school; an SMP isn't a way to get around that.

Reactions: 1 users
Re-write the MCAT. How low is low?

Members don't see this ad :)
number of them have MCAT prep incorporated into the curriculum.

Why not just take a MCAT prep course? Why spend a year doing a SMP and then taking the MCAT again, when you could sign up for Kaplan or similar MCAT prep in January, retest in April and reapply in June?

Edit...I posted before I saw stats.

Your MCAT is equivalent to a 23. I think you need to prep, retest, and then apply DO, because an increase in score may not get you to MD level.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
SMPs are meant to mediate poor academic performance. Not poor standardized test performance. They are completely different things and measure different skill sets and values. Strong SMP students who actually get into medical school already have a good MCAT score; it's the GPA they have to remediate and show isn't representative of their abilities.

You are going to have to overcome whatever weaknesses you have in standardized taking and the MCAT to get into medical school; an SMP isn't a way to get around that.
Thanks. I understand. Does the same go for Post-Bac programs? Is it just to help with poor academic performance. I was thinking maybe I can retake the MCAT over the summer of 2016 and 2016-2017 go to post bac program and possibly apply to med school either next fall or the following fall....I don't know

I would suggest taking some classes post bacc if you want to increase your GPA (is that sGPA or cGPA?.. important to know). Specifically take biochem if you haven't already, that could help the MCAT score.

But either way, the MCAT must be retaken. You're looking at a low-20's score (22-24 I think), which is impossible for MDs and many DOs from what I can tell. So SMP no way, retake the MCAT is necessary, a couple of post bacc classes optional.

Why not just take a MCAT prep course? Why spend a year doing a SMP and then taking the MCAT again, when you could sign up for Kaplan or similar MCAT prep in January, retest in April and reapply in June?

Edit...I posted before I saw stats.

Your MCAT is equivalent to a 23. I think you need to prep and then apply DO, because an increase in score may not get you to MD level.
If you don't mind me asking, why don't you think an increase in score will not get me to MD level? Is it because of how low my first score was?

If you don't mind me asking, why don't you think an increase in score will not get me to MD level? Is it because of how low my first score was?

Yes, it's because of 496 (23) score. While it may not be impossible, I think it's unlikely you'd increase enough to be MD competitive. However, if you're able to quickly overcome whatever caused the previous low score, then....

A big jump in your next score can definitely get you into an MD. There are some schools that average your scores, and some that take your highest, and some that kind of just look at the whole package. So you'll have to do some research before applying so as not to waste your money on schools that average, but there are still plenty of schools out there that will give you a shake (someone correct me if I'm wrong). When I say jump, though, I mean jump (like 10+ points on the old scale).

Find out what you did wrong, take plenty of practice exams, and study study study. Get a tutor from a reputable company, or take a Kaplan class or something. Both better options for your situation than a full time post bacc program or an SMP.

Btw, is your 3.6 a science gpa or cgpa? If it's your cumulative, what is your science GPA?

spend whatever time you need studying for the MCAT. Take your time with it, because you do not want to give them another bad score, and try for a third time.
Retake ONLY when you are ready. Otherwise you will euthanize your application.
Postbach will not help. Self-study/course for MCAt, whatever works for you at this point. Be careful and do a ton of research, really dig deep inside, to ask yourself if you need a course ? or if you need better self-study prep ?
Do not rush this retake. Take only when ready, just saying again.

AMCAS has data on retakes. Most people dont improve, I believe thats what the medical student is telling you. You will have to be hypercritical and self-aware to really get at what deficiency you had and how to tackle the test next.

A big jump in your next score can definitely get you into an MD. There are some schools that average your scores, and some that take your highest, and some that kind of just look at the whole package. So you'll have to do some research before applying so as not to waste your money on schools that average, but there are still plenty of schools out there that will give you a shake (someone correct me if I'm wrong). When I say jump, though, I mean jump (like 10+ points on the old scale).

Find out what you did wrong, take plenty of practice exams, and study study study. Get a tutor from a reputable company, or take a Kaplan class or something. Both better options for your situation than a full time post bacc program or an SMP.

Btw, is your 3.6 a science gpa or cgpa? If it's your cumulative, what is your science GPA?
3.6cgpa
3.4 sgpa

When were you complete?

I now see that you've applied to some historically black SOMs and you are AA.When were you complete.
Is that science gpa considered low?

For a traditional applicant, the sGPA is lowish.

However, I did notice in another thread that you mention that you're AA, and that you've applied to some HBCU SOMs. What are those SOMs avg stats? Also, where all did you apply? When were you complete? Are you male?

If you're a male AA student, then I think that if you just boosted your MCAT to be an equivalent 27/28, you'd have better luck next cycle as long as you applied early and had an appropriate app list. I have been repeatedly told that many MD schools would like to have more male AA students.

Neither. If your issue is the MCAT, you're not going to fix it through any GPA repair methods. That's like trying to fix your flat tire by changing your oil...sure, it's good for the car, but right now it won't help you get on the road.

When were you complete?

I now see that you've applied to some historically black SOMs and you are AA.When were you complete.

For a traditional applicant, the sGPA is lowish.

However, I did notice in another thread that you mention that you're AA, and that you've applied to some HBCU SOMs. What are those SOMs avg stats? Also, where all did you apply? When were you complete? Are you male?

If you're a male AA student, then I think that if you just boosted your MCAT to be an equivalent 27/28, you'd have better luck next cycle as long as you applied early and had an appropriate app list. I have been repeatedly told that many MD schools would like to have more male AA students.

I am in AA female. My primary app was complete in July most of my secondaries were complete late August-mid September. I applied to Drexel, Temple, Howard, Meharry, Morehouse, USC-Greenville, Wright just to name a few. There low-tier and I applied to a 2 reaches which I've been rejected from one as of now.

I am in AA female. My primary app was complete in July most of my secondaries were complete late August-mid September. I applied to Drexel, Temple, Howard, Meharry, Morehouse, USC-Greenville, Wright just to name a few. There low-tier and I applied to a 2 reaches which I've been rejected from one as of now.

If you don't get any love this cycle retake the MCAT. 502+ and your odds increase substantially of getting interest from either an HBMC or your state programs. Historically around 1/4 URMs with 3.5/21-23 get an offer from an MD school. Increase that to 3.5/24-26 and all of a sudden over 70% of URMs who apply with those stats get in somewhere. So you can see how big of a difference even hitting 502 can make.

Reactions: 1 users
If you don't get any love this cycle retake the MCAT. 502+ and your odds increase substantially of getting interest from either an HBMC or your state programs. Historically around 1/4 URMs with 3.5/21-23 get an offer from an MD school. Increase that to 3.5/24-26 and all of a sudden over 70% of URMs who apply with those stats get in somewhere. So you can see how big of a difference even hitting 502 can make.
Yes, thanks!