Low MCAT (501) - High GPA (3.88) WAMC for both MD and DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iimagine

Reaction score
Arizona State University GPA:
cGPA 3.88
sGPA 3.81

MCAT:
494 (122/124/122/126)
501 (125/126/125/125)

Residence: Arizona
Pakistani Male

Clinical: Scribing: (250 hrs + anticipated), Cardiologist clinic volunteering (125 hrs).
Non-Clinical Volunteering: ASU Clubs. Mainly two. One focused on serving surrounding communities and the other focused on aiding students build skills and community building. (900 hrs)
Research: Data collection (150 hrs)
Shadowing: MD Cardiologist (30 hrs)
Paid Experiences: Referee (200 hrs), Graphic Designing (12000 hrs), Woodworking (2000 hrs), Retail Job Customer Service (250 hrs)
Others: Photography (600 hrs)

Will be applying both MD and DO. I have FAP for MD so I am still going to apply and see what happens, but I understand my MCAT score is not competitive. Hoping my app can make up for the low MCAT score, but not sure how realistic it is. Any suggestions for schools that I should look into will be greatly appreciated, for both MD and DO.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't foresee you having any success with MD schools.

Use your fap slots for 100% DO.

Get off campus and out of your comfort zone when it comes to service to others less fortunate than yourself

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest these DO schools with your stats:
ATSU (both schools)
TUNCOM
UIWSOM
KCU-COM
WCU-COM
ACOM
MU-COM
PCOM (all schools)
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
LECOM (all schools)
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
Noorda-COM
Your chances are low for MD schools but you could try these:
Arizona (Phoenix and Tucson)
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
NOVA MD
Drexel
Temple
Hackensack
Albany
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't foresee you having any success with MD schools.

Use your fap slots for 100% DO.

Get off campus and out of your comfort zone when it comes to service to others less fortunate than yourself
The clubs I worked with at ASU do focus on those less fortunate than myself. One of them in specific focused on less fortunate students and gave them opportunities to build skills further through our resources and the other focused on events that directly aid the underserved in nearby communities.

Now with a little bit of context is your opinion the same? The FAP program is exclusive to MD schools, its granted through AMCAS and it gives me 20 slots.

I suggest these DO schools with your stats:
ATSU (both schools)
TUNCOM
UIWSOM
KCU-COM
WCU-COM
ACOM
MU-COM
PCOM (all schools)
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
LECOM (all schools)
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
Noorda-COM
Your chances are low for MD schools but you could try these:
Arizona (Phoenix and Tucson)
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
NOVA MD
Drexel
Temple
Hackensack
Albany
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Appreciate your response, thank you!

I agree with Goro and would only suggest DO schools. Faha’s list of DO schools above is good. I have reservations about Noorda as they are a new school trying an unconventional curriculum.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with Goro and would only suggest DO schools. Faha’s list of DO schools above is good. I have reservations about Noorda as they are a new school trying an unconventional curriculum.
Appreciate your response, thank you so much!

I just took a look at your state public schools.
The10th percentile in Phoenix is 509.
Even in Tucson where the 10th% is 501, only a dozen or so are likely to matriculate with your (better) MCAT. That's only if they don't focus on the 1st score at all.
I know you are going to apply to these two anyway! ...but I agree with my colleagues that your chances are far better with DO schools.

• Love