Low GPAs and next steps for applying to dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ProspectiveButterfly

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I wanted to share my stats thus far and get any advice on how to increase my chances to get into dental school.
I have a bachelors in biology with very low GPAs (slight upward trend in last two semesters):
cGPA: 2.9
sGPA: 2.5

I have learned from my mistakes as a young college student, and still want to pursue dentistry.
I am now 25 and I know that I cannot apply with these stats. So, I decided to enroll at my local university to do a DIY postbacc. I'm planning to take 30 credits minimum (shooting for only As) of upper level sciences to boost my GPAs before applying; this would bring my cGPA to a 3.06 and my sGPA to a 2.84. I am currently studying to take my DAT for the first time as well.
Aside from that, I have 4 years of experience working at a dental office, 500+ hours of shadowing and 100+ volunteering hours.

Is there anything more I should do?
I would appreciate advice or to hear about your stories in similar situations. Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hello! Preferably you want both your cGPA and sGPA above a 3.0 so you don’t get auto-rejected. If you think you can salvage your GPA with classes go for it! The other option is getting a Masters degree with a GPA of 3.75+. Also - kill the DAT. 23+ would be really helpful in your situation.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello! Preferably you want both your cGPA and sGPA above a 3.0 so you don’t get auto-rejected. If you think you can salvage your GPA with classes go for it! The other option is getting a Masters degree with a GPA of 3.75+. Also - kill the DAT. 23+ would be really helpful in your situation.
Thank you for your advice! I have C’s in a few prereqs. Would you suggest retaking those as well? I’ve heard mixed things from schools about how they view retakes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your advice! I have C’s in a few prereqs. Would you suggest retaking those as well? I’ve heard mixed things from schools about how they view retakes.
Seems to me like that would be a good idea, so long as you're able to get better grades next time. Going from a C to an A shows academic growth and mastery of the material. Admissions probably don't want to take on someone who just knows the bare fundamentals of prerequisites like bio/chem. Though it might be a different story if those prereqs are English/stats or something of the sort.

Seems to me like that would be a good idea, so long as you're able to get better grades next time. Going from a C to an A shows academic growth and mastery of the material. Admissions probably don't want to take on someone who just knows the bare fundamentals of prerequisites like bio/chem. Though it might be a different story if those prereqs are English/stats or something of the sort.
Thanks for your input. You’re right, it doesn’t look good if it’s bio/chem prereqs. Unfortunately, it’s both inorganic chem prereqs. I’ve been putting a lot of focus on that portion of the DAT to compensate the C’s but that may not be enough without retaking, it seems.

Also, I have taken some prereqs, like English, over 5 years ago. I’ve heard of some schools requiring prereqs be no older than 5 years. Do you know if some schools are lenient with a non-science prereq?

At most schools, they actually usually won’t let you retake the same class for credit if you earned a C or better. So you’re better off taking biochemistry, mircobiology, anatomy, physio (if you haven’t already taken these), or some upper division science courses to improve your sci gpa.

At most schools, they actually usually won’t let you retake the same class for credit if you earned a C or better. So you’re better off taking biochemistry, mircobiology, anatomy, physio (if you haven’t already taken these), or some upper division science courses to improve your sci gpa.
Thanks for that information. I've heard some schools don't want prereqs older than 5 years. Do you know if retaking those don't count for credit either?

Thanks for that information. I've heard some schools don't want prereqs older than 5 years. Do you know if retaking those don't count for credit either?
Oh I guess this is a special situation. I would set up an appointment with a counselor and discuss it.