Other OT-Related Information Low GPA...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nb97

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.. I am honestly very confused on what I should do or contemplate on doing. Currently I am in the process of applying to a bunch of OT Schools, but the unfortunate thing is, my GPA is terribly low. Currently, I am completing my undergraduate degree in Biology. As of now, I have a cumulative of 2.9 with a 4.0 GPA in prerequisites. I have volunteered at 3 OT settings of different kinds with over 100 hours of volunteer work. Unfortunately I haven't done any internships. I did however have one leadership position. I genuinely feel like I cannot make myself look different in my application. My GPA is absolutely terrible. I have considered applying to smaller schools in hopes of possibly getting accepted in, but the fear of being a minority and being bullies is instilled me. What should I do? Are there any schools around the Tri-state area, such as New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and Virginia that would accept students like me with a lower GPA? I am genuinely so lost and confused.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you looked at schools which look at only your last 60 credits? That could be helpful to your application if you have a higher gpa for your last 60 credits.

Its not impossible, especially since having the observations in 3 different OT settings is a big plus. If you feel you could wait another year before applying, maybe take that time to take other classes to raise your GPA and also put extra effort into the other application components, like having a strong personal statement and letters of recommendation. Your personal statement is where you could really let the admissions committee know why your grades may be on the lower side.

In terms of NY/NJ/CT/VA schools, I only know that the NY and NJ schools are just as competitive as the other schools, so would offer you the above advice for those schools as well.

I am in the same boat as you! 3.1 for cumulative undergraduate degree but 3.8 for pre-reqs. I definitely feel frustrated about it, but the reason for my low GPA is from classes that I took literally a decade ago so I just have to let it go and try to highlight the strong sections of my applications. A good GPA does not always mean a good OT and I think lots of schools realize that.

Give yourself some grace and cast a wide net, I'm sure you will shine during interview days and your GPA won't hold you back!