Low GPA Upward Trending...MCAT soon

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sizillyd

Go Pack
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so right now my cGPA is 2.62 and my sGPA is something like 2.5. Pretty low. I quit my job at the beginning of this semester and it shows in my grades:
Biology of Aging-A
Microbiology-A
Molecular Biology-A
Organic Chemistry 1-A

I am socioeconomically disadvantaged and have a pretty compelling PS. I need to murder the MCAT to even stand a chance. I was able to get help from AMCAS with the Fee Assistance Program, and they are going to pay for me to apply to 14 medical schools with most of the schools waving secondary fees (hopefully). I am going to go ahead and apply this semester if I do well on the MCAT.

Obviously I need to try and keep my grades up. I have 2 more semesters left until I graduate and will apply again (if I don't get in) and hopefully gain admission to a SMP here in Texas. How are my chances so far? My EC's are strong. I was able to get a competitive internship at Dallas Children's Medical Center this past summer and have somewhere around 350 hours of shadowing physicians. All types. All types of surgeons, nurses, medical students. Everything. Good LOR's. I think I covered everything.

Chance me. Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you need more than one semester of good grades on your transcript before adcomms will consider you. They want to see evidence of consistent performance over a period of time. I think it is premature for you to apply at this time.

What is the GPA requirement for TCOM's SMP-like program? Do they have a minimum MCAT score they look for?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure of the minimum MCAT but the average acceptance MCAT was 26. Average GPA was 3.3.

What would your grades be like with straight four-ohs for the rest of college?

I don't see much chance for you this year. That GPA is going to get you screened out everywhere. I would apply next year or the one after, depending on your GPA. Getting it over 3.0 is essential, as is doing well on the MCAT.

I understand the temptation to apply since it won't cost you anything, but applying is time consuming and mentally draining. With how low your chances are this year, focus your attention on next year.