LOW GPA, unimpressive stats. Post-bac or SMP? Help improve my chances!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PathlessGull786

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
-deleted-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
SMPs are high risk, high reward. I messed up somewhat in undergrad as well and am a risk taker, so I did SMP. If you do not do well here (3.6-3.7 GPA minimum) then you can probably kiss MD goodbye. However, it is really nice because most SMPs are tied to a medical school so you're kinda like "hey, I can do well in the medical curriculum that you're offering... I'll probably be a good fit for your med school..." Your MCAT score can be used for many SMP applications instead of GRE (at least I could for mine). I'd recommend taking the MCAT whenever you feel prepared and are scoring on the practice exams what you'd be happy with on the real thing. I think January or March would be plenty of time if you grindddd. You still will need a rather high MCAT to offset the undergrad GPA. I'd also recommend getting your shadowing hours up (get some with a primary care physician... trust me.).

You need to show adcoms that you can handle the rigors of medical education, and I don't think you have done that from the undergrad GPA. Just consider the pros/cons of SMP vs post-bacc and make an educated decision. I'm sure there are many articles out there about these on google. You can do it!! Good luck ~

Last edited:
Well you have 2 routes open to you right now. Right now you don't really have a shot at MD and you're borderline for DO.

1. Do well in the rest of your classes, pull your sGPA up to a 3.3+ if you can and get a 505+ on the MCAT. Apply to DO schools and you'd have a good shot of getting in.
2. Do well in the rest of your classes and a DIY post bacc after you graduate of at least 30 units, 510+ on the MCAT and apply to state/low tier MD and DO schools and you might get into a MD.

I would advise against a SMP unless you're sure you can ace it. Doing poorly in a SMP will close doors and with your downward sGPA trend, there's no reason to believe you'd be able to ace a SMP out of nowhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd recommend taking the MCAT whenever you feel prepared and are scoring on the practice exams what you'd be happy with on the real thing. I think January or March would be plenty of time if you grindddd.

Thank you for your advice! If I take the MCAT in March, would I still be able to apply to SMPs/post-baccs for fall of 2019? Is it possible for me to submit SMP/post-bacc applications earlier and then add my MCAT score to the app once I take it?

Thank you for your advice! If I take the MCAT in March, would I still be able to apply to SMPs/post-baccs for fall of 2019? Is it possible for me to submit SMP/post-bacc applications earlier and then add my MCAT score to the app once I take it?
I think these questions are school specific. Depends on their deadlines and policies about applying. For my SMP, I took my MCAT in March and was fine, but I doubt that is the same for all SMPs. Look at specific websites for the schools and I'm sure it'll have this info available!

I think these questions are school specific. Depends on their deadlines and policies about applying. For my SMP, I took my MCAT in March and was fine, but I doubt that is the same for all SMPs. Look at specific websites for the schools and I'm sure it'll have this info available!

Hey I know this post is old already, but I've been considering SMP. Can I ask what your cGPA, sGPA, and if applicable postbacc GPA. Also, do you know if it's wiser to submit the MCAT instead of the GRE (some schools say both is fine)

Hey I know this post is old already, but I've been considering SMP. Can I ask what your cGPA, sGPA, and if applicable postbacc GPA. Also, do you know if it's wiser to submit the MCAT instead of the GRE (some schools say both is fine)
My stats are in my SDN signature but cGPA was a 3.6, sGPA 3.55, which are a little high for most SMP candidates (I believe the average for my program was a 3.4/3.2 respectively.) I simply used my MCAT score for acceptance because I didn't want to do another test, but if schools say they accept both than it's fine to do either. Don't rush the MCAT though to get an acceptance to an SMP. If you haven't taken the MCAT and don't have a solid 3+ months to study, then do GRE.