Low GPA: Next steps for med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopeful091

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Here's my dilemma,
I graduated going on 3 years ago with a BA in Kinesiology from YorkU, my CGPA is 6.0/9.0 (have been travelling mostly since then). I have been seriously considering applying for medical school preferably in Canada but I am open to international schools as well as DO.

I'm wondering what my next step should be for my best chance or am I being unrealistic? I know my GPA is not competitive enough so what can I do to offset or improve this area? Time is not a concern.

I've been contemplating doing either a second degree (one allowing me to complete the science prereqs), a masters program (thou I don't believe I'd be a strong candidate for this either) or a post bacc in the US. Since I completed a BA and not a BSc I have none of the science prereqs, so I was also thinking of completing these as a non-degree student and writing the MCAT before applying to another program to see how I do. I spoke with an admissions officer at York and they recommended I take all the sciences at high school level before attempting to do them at uni so I did (will be finishing in June).

Thank you in advance to anyone who replies its very much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.