Low GPA, High PCAT score. Do I have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Atrix3051

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently have a 2.42 GPA in my university. I scored in the 97th percentile on my PCAT through rigorous studying. I also have been working in a Pharmacy for 3 1/2 years as a Pharmacy Technician. Should I even bother applying to pharmacy schools because of my really low GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

You should try to raise that cGPA to at least 2.50 since I think most if not all pharmacy schools requires at least that. With a PCAT score like that, did you receive any emails or calls from pharmacy schools asking you to apply? If no, then your chances are probably low due to that cutoff cGPA.
My friend also had a very low cGPA but after taking the PCAT and scoring above 90, he was getting calls and emails from schools asking him to apply. And this was very late in the application cycle. He ended up applying late, got interviews, and went off to pharmacy school.

I currently have a 2.42 GPA in my university. I scored in the 97th percentile on my PCAT through rigorous studying. I also have been working in a Pharmacy for 3 1/2 years as a Pharmacy Technician. Should I even bother applying to pharmacy schools because of my really low GPA?

hi, my gpa is in a very similar range as you. how did you study for the pcat if you dont mind me asking? and for how long?

I recommend applying, i hear a lot of stories of people with low gpas getting in.

You can always call the school's pre-pharmacy advisor to confirm if they will even consider you as a serious candidate. They're very friendly and quite informative!

If you apply, you will most likely get in somewhere. Just be careful though. If undergraduate coursework was difficult for you, pharmacy coursework will be a lot harder. Good luck.