Low GPA, haven't taken the DAT yet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drkyloren

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm like...really really worried...like I'm almost ready to give up.

I've had a hard time at college. Depression and anxiety have held me back a lot from even getting out of the house and going to school, and it's hit me hard in a lot of areas.

I have a 2.92 GPA, and I've gotten nothing but D's this semester, again because of the depression.

I have no idea what my sGPA is, but I got a C in OChem, C- in GenChem II, B- in GenChem I, a B+ in Biology, and B- in Physics I, so its probably around a 3.0.

I haven't taken the DAT yet, but all my grades have me really worried about even applying, since I have about 3 semesters left before I graduate. Like is it even possible for me to get my grades up?? Should I just move on to another career choice?

Members don't see this ad.

I would worry less about the DAT/your career and focus on yourself. You should really take time off school and find the proper combination of medication and therapy to get yourself in the right head space. It takes good grades for nearly every professional school nowadays and I wouldn't go back to college until I was sure I could do well.

Reactions: 5 users
Spot on ^

Professional school is hard, and will test even the healthiest at times. Every school's primary goal is to graduate you, and you need to be healthy from a mental and physical perspective to make it through professional school without hiccups. Work on yourself first, if after that you still want to be a dentist I think you'll need a post-bacc to prove you can hack the sciences. Best of luck to you

Reactions: 1 user
It's okay. Some schools are very tough on GPAs. Just do well on your DAT and give it a shot.