Low GPA and accepted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BEETLEVH

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone... just wanted to start a thread about this to see who got in with less than godly GPAs. Its generally expected to hear that people got in with a 3.8/43 (well deserved for them, might I add), but I think its always inspiring to hear from those who got in with < 3.3 GPA.

If you fall under this category of the accepted, first of all congratulations! Say a couple things about yourself here... such as GPA/MCAT, ECs, trad vs nontrad, age, your success tips, any advice you might want to bestow onto those in similar shoes, etc. Thank you to those of you that reply!

Members don't see this ad.

I'll start things off. I'm a 3rd year medical student.

Electrical engineering undergrad from an middle tier school, Overall GPA about 3.18, science GPA about 3.4. Worked as an engineer for 7 years doing design somewhat related to medicine. Quit work, took 2 back-to-back semesters (15+ hrs) of undergraduate and graduate biology classes getting A's except for OrgC-I where I received a 'C'. MCAT:
Verbal/Bio/Phys = 10/12/10.

GTB where do you attend med school?

Members don't see this ad :)
entering class 2004.......

overall 3.4 and science 3.2

uc berkeley undergrad.

props to all my low gpa brothers and sisters ;)

word up jlee! but i put your gpa to shame!

3.1 Overall, 3.01 Science, 2 acceptances so far!

bottom line

low GPA=NOT THE END OF THE WORLD!

Hey thanks for the responses so far, and once again, a big congratulations to you guys for having made it!

Exmike-

All I can say is WOW. Thats pretty inspiring to know. Would you mind elaborating on yourself? I'd be really interested to know what else about your application made you competitive. Such as what school(s) you attended, why GPA was what it was, ECs and anything else you'd care to share.

it doesnt matter where u went as an undergrad as long as u have a good gpa,

Originally posted by DRANTWAN
it doesnt matter where u went as an undergrad as long as u have a good gpa,

You should add that to the thread about application myths.

You should just check the link in my sig.

re: your undergrad doesnt matter. it does.. to a point. at most of my interviews, my ugrad institution was noted positively.

Originally posted by BEETLEVH
Hey thanks for the responses so far, and once again, a big congratulations to you guys for having made it!

Exmike-

All I can say is WOW. Thats pretty inspiring to know. Would you mind elaborating on yourself? I'd be really interested to know what else about your application made you competitive. Such as what school(s) you attended, why GPA was what it was, ECs and anything else you'd care to share.