Low G.P.A undergraduate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ksurf

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering what were my chances on getting into medical school after college.
Saying if...

I stop screwing around, buckle down, and focus on my studies.

I'm in the spring quarter of my sophomore year, and I will probably end the year with a 2.5-2.7 cumulative. I screwed up, my freshman year and sophomore year. I was careless, wanting college to be the best experience of my life, and even fell into depression for 2 quarters because it wasn't all i expected to be. My sophomore year I wanted to try to balance it out, my social life and my studies. Although my grades improved, it only did slightly. Now almost the end of my sophomore year, I want to just focus on my studies, improve my study habits, and just get control of my life. College is only 4-5 years of your life. My expectations were way beyond me and I regret not focusing on my studies more than my social life.

With that saying, I technically just turned a sophomore halfway through the year because of taking 12-14 credits mostly each quarter. I haven't gotten into any science classes nor have I declared a major yet. What are my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

You're facing an uphill battle, but it has been done. Get serious about school and take the med school pre-reqs plus some upper level science courses to establish a great sGPA. I think you're actually in a better position because you haven't started science courses - you have the opportunity to have a 4.0 science GPA. Your cumulative GPA will be still be pretty low, but a great science GPA along with a good MCAT score will most likely get you in. You can also look into DO schools, which practice grade replacement (if you retake a class and get a higher grade, the new score replaces the old score). MD schools just average old + retake grade so a retake has less of an impact unless it's a D or F.

Treat next year like freshman year - start over. Develop extracurriculars that interest you and start your pre-reqs. You will probably have to take a 5th year to fit in your pre-reqs and upper level science courses, but it will be worth it.

No sense in talking what ifs. Spend a year getting a 4.0 and come back and ask. If you turn is around drastic, you could get in. If it isn't drastic, probably not.

Last edited: