Low cGPA, DUI + Incident in class. More details inside.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Abor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated college with a degree in International Affairs and a 2.67 gpa in 2008. Worked abroad for an American company as well as taught English. I've also traveled to several countries: India, Guatemala, China, Thailand, Cambodia, Malaysia, and enjoyed the diversity and cultures very much.

That being said I decided I wanted to be a physician in the spring of 2010. I came back to school and have been taking pre-reqs since. I've done well; 3.98 GPA. I'm finishing up Organic 2 this semester and plan to take Biochem (2 semester class) next year while accruing research as well as clinical experience. Moreover I want to get my CNA and EMT certification this summer and hopefully be able to volunteer a day or more a week in the upcoming year.

I've also been volunteering in a diagnostics lab at National Jewish 4 hours a week since last August and Chemistry research lab since November for ~15 hours a week. I will start hospice volunteering soon. There is the possibility of getting my name on a publication if I continue working ~15 hours week but I won't count my hens just yet.

Additionally I plan to apply to a SMP after the biochem year is over. Thereby having an informal as well as a formal post-bacc GPAs to buffer the uGPA. I've raised my uGPA from the 2.67 to 3.01. There is no way to raise it further without many more years in college. I plan on taking the MCAT next February and use the score to apply to the SMP as well as med school a year or two later.

That being said during my undergraduate career I was involved in an incident in class involving alcohol. Moreover in the same month I was arrested for a DUI. Both happened in April of 2006. I completed a year of therapy as well as the required community service. I met some amazing people in therapy; house wives, college kids, older people with alcohol addictions that ruined their career, meth addicts, etc. They shared some wonderful anecdotes and I learned a lot through them.

Both aforementioned events happened two months shy of my 21st and I will be turning 27 this year. I've matured (hopefully) quite a bit since and am glad those events transpired the way they did; I was dealing with personal issues (sexuality) and had a somewhat tumultuous upbringing. I was going down the wrong path and this steered me clear of some potentially devastating scenarios. I am Chinese American and my parents have both been involved in numerous brushes with the law during my upbringing and were often neglectful/occupied. I took care of my sister growing up and I am happy to report she is doing orders of magnitude better than I did in college.

That being said what are my chances of getting into an MD school? If I do well in the official post-bacc SMP as well as get 36+ on the MCATs? I've been planning on getting a LOR from the same professor, whose classroom I had the alcohol incident in, by asking to audit an upper level course she may teach later this year. I hope to impress her with the individual I am today. I realize this pivots on her willingness to write me a letter when things are said and done. It may be pertinent to add I took an International Affairs capstone course during my last year in college with the same instructor and wrote a compelling paper which garnered an A.

I often reflect on my actions and the lack of maturity and foresight I showed for so many years. I was addicted to internet gaming during high school and college as a means to escape the drudgery of normal life, i.e. I had no motivation and was utterly apathetic about anything and everything I did. People have suggested I should consider DO schools but I want to take a shot at an MD school first.

I no longer doubt my abilities but I am questioning whether this type of background already stymies any chance of me getting a interview at an MD school. I would really like to get more opinions on what I should do to make myself more competitive. I realize there are individuals on this forum who think my chances are slim to none, however I am still determined to trudge on.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
6+ years with a clean record and a turn around from your grades will be highly favorable for you. I say go ahead and apply. For the negative things you have on record, you've done the best possible to address them. It'll all come down to luck on how ADCOMS see it.

People are right in that you should consider DO first, since it's likelier that the holistic approach will save you, but it's up to you whether a letter is really worth the extra time, money, and still insecurity of being able to get in.

6+ years with a clean record and a turn around from your grades will be highly favorable for you. I say go ahead and apply. For the negative things you have on record, you've done the best possible to address them. It'll all come down to luck on how ADCOMS see it.

People are right in that you should consider DO first, since it's likelier that the holistic approach will save you, but it's up to you whether a letter is really worth the extra time, money, and still insecurity of being able to get in.

Agreed. What you've done recently is very impressive. A good MCAT score will be a big fat cherry on top. But like the above poster said, if you get adcoms who hate drunk drivers a lot, moreso than people do generally, that might be rough. I had a close call one time so I know mistakes happen, but yeah, it's a crapshoot. Good luck.