Low cGPA (3.11) & MCAT (27Q), chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

casiemccartney

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, thanks in advance for reading.

I majored in neuroscience, graduated with cGPA 3.05 with an increasing trend. GPA gradually increased to 3.8 my senior year and actually made it to the Dean's list. Anyway, since graduating, I did a post-bac program to help my bad science grades from the first 2 years. I've been working full-time in clinical research for 2 years, will be published in 2 papers, have a lot of shadowing, volunteering, leadership in service trips. I think my ECs are fine but I'm just worried about my GPA and score. Working full-time and studying just doesn't work as well as I had hoped! I am currently thinking about applying to 10 DO schools and 20-30 MD schools that have lower averages according to MSAR. Do you think I have any chance getting in anywhere? If so, where? I'm a VA resident, so definitely applying to all the VA schools.

Thank you very much!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
EC's look great and your MCAT is fine for DO schools. Does your GPA account for aacomas grade replacement? If you retook any classes the new grade replaces the old one instead of both of them being averaged in. Also this should be moved to WAMC XD

Thanks! I did not know they replaced the old grades with my new ones, cause that'd be amazing! I got Cs in college and all As and the lowest a B in the post-bac, so that'd help. I already inputted everything into AAMC and AACOMAS and AACOMAS seemed like it was averaging my two grades, not replacing, but I'm not sure. I also heard that some schools do GPA adjustments based on how difficult your undergrad is considered.

I thought I posted this under WAMC, but I'll see if I can move it.

Thank you again.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have a chance at DO schools such as VCOM. However, Virginia has some competitive medical schools and you might need to work on your GPA and increase your MCAT score.

You're wasting your money applying to all those MD schools. Your cGPA, sGPA and MCAT are all below the 10th percentile of nearly all schools. Money would be better spent applying to all DO schools instead.

AAMC does NOT accept grade replacement.