LOW AAMC Sample Test Score. Advise Needed. Exam in 4 weeks.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nerd300

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took the AAMC sample test and scored 38/59 CP, 37/53 CARS, 40/59 BB, and 49/59 SP. Using the conversion I got a 503 on the new MCAT. I am taking my test on September 6th and plan to take the AAMC 1 on 8/17/19. I am very worried as the sample test is suppose to super easy. I already have postponed my test date due to score 500s on TPR practice exam. Please offer any advise. I am interested in MD schools, but also plan to apply to DO as well for the 2020-2021 cycle.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Members don't see this ad.

I just took the AAMC sample test and scored 38/59 CP, 37/53 CARS, 40/59 BB, and 49/59 SP. Using the conversion I got a 503 on the new MCAT. I am taking my test on September 6th and plan to take the AAMC 1 on 8/17/19. I am very worried as the sample test is suppose to super easy. I already have postponed my test date due to score 500s on TPR practice exam. Please offer any advise. I am interested in MD schools, but also plan to apply to DO as well for the 2020-2021 cycle.

Thanks for the suggestion.

What is your target score? If you work hard and learn from the practice exams you could pull off a 510. I would recommend taking 4+ more practice exams in the next 4 weeks to get there. Also make sure to really focus on aamc questions and FLs in that time.

Reactions: 1 user
Recommend a test a week, and when you take the AAMC test again (suggest as the last test), you'll be able to see what you're going to get. If it's not the same spreadsheet, try to find the one that one your data is inputted, it gives you a "most likely" and another option I can't remember.

It uses your data to create a dartboard around your score. For example, if you got the equivalent of a 510, it'll say "on a good day, will get 507-513", and then it'll predict where you are 99% going to be, so w/ the 510, "you're most likely to get 503-516". Basically captures your score and likely options w/ differing CIs. Mine was dead on, so it's definitely a good gauge.

And if you do score that low, you should consider DO highly; as in, majority of your apps there. Besides, MD and DO doesn't matter as long as your goal is to get in the doorway. After that, it matters. But still, you need to get in somewhere to even continue your journey right now.

And if you don't get in, it's no problem at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is your target score? If you work hard and learn from the practice exams you could pull off a 510. I would recommend taking 4+ more practice exams in the next 4 weeks to get there. Also make sure to really focus on aamc questions and FLs in that time.

My target score is 507-508. Currently reviewing the sample test. I am noticing that some of the answers I got wrong, originally I had the right answer and switched it. Also, I got some conversion wrong, which at this point I should not be making such mistakes. Do you have any advise for the biochem passages. I feel like the passages are convoluted with data, which becomes difficult to analyze. Thank you.

My target score is 507-508. Currently reviewing the sample test. I am noticing that some of the answers I got wrong, originally I had the right answer and switched it. Also, I got some conversion wrong, which at this point I should not be making such mistakes. Do you have any advise for the biochem passages. I feel like the passages are convoluted with data, which becomes difficult to analyze. Thank you.

The AAMC loves testing on pathways. Practice drawing out the pathways that are described in the passage and what happens when something is knocked out or enhanced. If you are able to effectively do this, then the biochem passages become more manageable IMO. If you have an example passage that gave you issues I can walk you through what I would do.

I think your goal score is definitely a feasible target. Have you completed the qpacks and section banks yet? Really understanding the logic and reasoning behind the section bank passages and questions and spending time on those will make a big difference for you in the B/B section in my opinion.

I think your goal score is definitely a feasible target. Have you completed the qpacks and section banks yet? Really understanding the logic and reasoning behind the section bank passages and questions and spending time on those will make a big difference for you in the B/B section in my opinion.
No, I have not. I am starting the qpacks and section bank this week. My exam is on 9/13/19.

No, I have not. I am starting the qpacks and section bank this week. My exam is on 9/13/19.

Getting through those, especially the section banks, is going to really help you improve. The section banks are difficult, but don't worry about your score. It's one of the best learning tools available, so make sure you spend ample time reviewing and understanding everything and it'll make a big difference for your exam scores. Also, make sure you're doing a little bit of CARS practice everyday from the CARS qpacks instead of cramming it in at once.

If you finish and review those things and the practice exams very thoroughly, I think you'll put yourself in a very good position to achieve your goal score. Good luck and please reach out with any other questions!

I was taking at least a test a week for about a month and a half leading up to my second MCAT and that is for sure what helped me the most. The highest i ever scored on a practice exam was a 509 and i think the last one before I took my real test was a 507. I focused hard on not letting this freak me out and knew that all the practice was beneficial. I ended up getting a 514 on the real one so I would say to focus on understanding material and not take the practice scores as absolute!

How does the Chemistry Question Pack hold up to the actual MCAT? Are questions on there easier or harder? I am taking my MCAT 9/14 and I'm using TPR. TPR absolutely destroys my confidence, but when I go to the AAMC chemistry question pack, I feel like I've made progress.

How does the Chemistry Question Pack hold up to the actual MCAT? Are questions on there easier or harder? I am taking my MCAT 9/14 and I'm using TPR. TPR absolutely destroys my confidence, but when I go to the AAMC chemistry question pack, I feel like I've made progress.

I’d say they are easier. They were the first practice questions available after the new mcat was created and it has evolved a bit since 2015. The SB questions are much better, and maybe even a little harder than the real thing.

You will get about 1-2 passages of those old chem pack questions on the new mcat. So it’s not a complete waste. The same goes with the physics q packs.

@Cornfed101 @Mr Donald Mouse Switched over to Chem Section bank. I'm seeing a noticeable difference in performance. Section bank is definitely physics heavy. Thank you for the help! Any feedback on TPR practice passages/exams? Just wondering if spending my time with them is conducive to improving within the next month.

I took 2 Kaplan and 1 Next Step FL length exams. I also did some UWorld questions. Besides that, I didn’t do anything outside the AAMC, so I couldn’t tell you how TPR is. My advice is to keep yourself grounded in the AAMC questions throughout your study