Love or Hate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ResidentEvil

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Saw this on another thread... and thought it was interesting yet definately educational...

Let's post (without much discussion) which programs we love and which ones we hate. I'll start:

Love::love:
Indiana, Univ of FL, MetroHealth, Christiana, OSU, Pitt

Like:;)
Univ of MD, UVA

Hate::mad: +pissed+
Albert Einstein Medical Center (Philly, waste of an interview day)

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by ResidentEvil
Saw this on another thread... and thought it was interesting yet definately educational...

Let's post (without much discussion) which programs we love and which ones we hate. I'll start:

Love::love:
Indiana, Univ of FL, MetroHealth, Christiana, OSU, Pitt

Like:;)
Univ of MD, UVA

Hate::mad: +pissed+
Albert Einstein Medical Center (Philly, waste of an interview day)

I honestly didn't see any day (yet) as a waste, but of the places I've been so far:

loved: Metro, St. Vincent's (Toledo), Vanderbilt, U of Mich, OSU

I go to Christiana next, so we'll see.

mike

St. Luke's-Roosevelt. "Hated it!" (Read in "In Living Color" mock homosexual voice.) Those guys suck - every one of 'em, from the PD down to the look-how-bad-ass-we-are residents.

More later in a post to come, tentatively entitled "The Worst Interview Day Ever". Stay tuned.

HORNET

Members don't see this ad :)
Loved: Vanderbilt, Jacksonville.

Liked: Wake Forest, Louisville, WVU, East Carolina.

Haven't found any place I hated yet.

Love: UNC, Beth Israel Deaconness, Christiana Care, Hopkins, Pittsburgh

Like: Cooper, St. Luke's-Roosevelt, Temple

Hate: Duke

Loved: Jefferson, MCPH (Drexel)

Liked: Jacobi/Montefiore, Albert Einstein/Beth Israel, Morristown.

Coming Up: Cooper, BI Deaconess, UMass, UC Irvine, Madigan

Haven't hated anyone yet...I wish I did, it would make the decision easier.

EMDoc - what did you like about BI deaconess and cooper?

Loved: Univ of Maryland, Univ of FL, CWRU/MetroHealth, University of S. FL, Akron General Medical Center, Allegheny General.

Liked: York, Albert Einstein Medical Center, St. Vincent's

Havne't hated anybody yet.

Blackcat,

Cooper has a great, friendly group of faculty and residents, and an outstanding PD (Dr. Stahmer) and Chair (Dr. Chansky) who are incredibly enthusiastic about the residency. Ultrasound is taught very comprehensively. They're very supportive of you developing your professional niche and have recently introudcued different tracks (research, teaching, administrative, ultrasound, etc.) for residents to tailor their experiences towards an area of interest. They are very flexible about commitments/problems in your personal life as well. It's a smaller residency with ~7 residents a year at a small but busy, level I trauma center in South Jersey, and they really function like a family. The community affiliate experience provides a nice balance in the patient population and clinical environment. There biggest drawbacks are their lack of name recognition since they're not based out of a huge academic medical center and their lousy location in Camden, NJ, although everyone lives in either the South Jersey suburbs or in Philly.

Beth Israel Deaconess offers a different clinical experience compared to many of the other "Ivy-based" EM programs. The main hospital's ED is big, high-tech, and extremely efficient, perhaps because the faculty are a fee-for-service group. You spend 1-3 months each at 4-5 additional hospital EDs which offers great exposure to different settings, but could be a bit of a hassle. There are some top EM people at BID including Dr. Wolfe, Peter Rosen, and Carlo Rosen, so you'll have opportunitiies to do some interesting acadmeic stuff (textbook chapters, etc.). You do Peds at Boston Children's (top-notch, superacute cases, but there are a million residents rotating through) and at South Shore (community Peds)....no Peds at BIDMC. They have one of the two most active international EM programs (along with Hopkins) if you want to get involved with that stuff. The program's entering their fourth year in existence, but they eem to have already gone through their growing pains. One other drawback is that there seems to be a limited exposure to underserved populations.

I know you all weren't supposed to give reasons for your choices, but seeing these lists gives me an interested perspective. No popularity or reputation of a program, just your personal feelings. I like it! Good thread!

For those of you who hated a program, would you mind elaborating as to why? Specifically, St. Lukes-Roosevelt, Duke (the spankin' new program), Albert Einstein (why was it so bad?). I'd appreciate it, thanks.

okay - sorry if i didn't give any reasons

Jefferson - loved the personality of everyone there... everyone seemed so nice. it is in a great part of philly. overall happiness and it was a fun interview day. they allowed to pick saturday interviews to make scheduline easier. i really liked them.

MCPH(Drexel) - great program. seemed really strong and will make great docs. the residents all seemed really strong and happy. the chair of the dept was very impressive, smart yet down to earth. dr. wagner has been a doc for decades and yet he is up to date, apparently really into ultrasound and his little toy - his palm pilot. he was very involved in the applicants - loved that guy. the pd was really nice, another great interview day.

those are my loves....hope to go to philly next year!

I have not hated any place so far. Akron General, Akron SUMMA, OSU, METRO Cleveland, Saginaw, St. John's, Wright State. Metro is great but the residence will tell you that you probably work harder there then at most other programs with ED shifts becoming 13-14 hours. Otherwise it is awesome.