Lost

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does no one here watch House M.D.? I only got to hear of it two days ago.

Dr. Gregory House: "You mentioned leishmaniasis and filariasis. Where did you hear about them?"
Jeffrey: "I told you, I found them on the Internet."
Dr. Gregory House: "What, did you search for 'obscure tropical diseases that don't match my son's symptoms?'"

Members don't see this ad.

deschutes said:
Does no one here watch House M.D.? I only got to hear of it two days ago.

Dr. Gregory House: "You mentioned leishmaniasis and filariasis. Where did you hear about them?"
Jeffrey: "I told you, I found them on the Internet."
Dr. Gregory House: "What, did you search for 'obscure tropical diseases that don't match my son's symptoms?'"

The show is hilarious, and not only because Dr. House is portrayed by none other than Hugh Laurie, of Blackadder fame. :laugh:

I'm an avid fan of House. Its the best show on TV, IMO.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was reading one of Hugh Laurie's interviews, in which he said that his father was a doctor, and he feels guilty because he's making more money than his father ever did. :laugh:

This is truly the first medical drama I have ever cared to watch! I never could sit through an episode of ER, Chicago Hope, Scrubs or Grey's Anatomy.

It's oddly liberating.

I cannot sit through an episode of House. I tried twice but maybe I should give it another try - I have been hearing really good things about it lately.

I love ER. :love:

The dialogue kills me every time. But we all know I have a guttermind :p

Dr. Gregory House: "You think it's going to come out on its own? Are we talking bigger than a breadbasket? 'Cause actually, it will come out on its own, which for small stuff is no problem: it's wrapped up in a nice soft package and plop. Big stuff? You're gonna rip something, which, speaking medically, is when the fun stops."
Young Man: "How did you...?"
Dr. Gregory House: "We've been here for half an hour and you haven't sat down; that tells me its location. You haven't told me what it is; that tells me it's humiliating. You have a little birdie carved under your arm; that tells me you have a high tolerance for humiliation, so I figure it's not hemorrhoids. I've been a doctor twenty years, you're not going to surprise me."
Young Man: "It's an MP3 player."
Dr. Gregory House: "Is it... is it because of the size, the shape, or is it the pounding bass line?"

Apparently, Lost wasn't aired this week due to the Red Sox game. Fortunately, I found a site where I can download TV program episodes :thumbup:

And since the Red Sox were eliminated today, we don't have to worry about missing our TV shows...and we don't have to worry about traffic when we're trying to stumble home from the bar anymore.

deschutes said:
Yes, leave us all hanging!
The downside is that you have to pay a fee. I had to pay $18 for the year. It used to be that downloading episodes (albeit, illegally) was free...until the motherf*cking MPAA had to sue my homey torrent download sites like suprnova.

Indeed. For some reason my asking people to post weblinks today results in being perpetually misunderstood. Must be some sort of odd convolution in the fabric of space.

AndyMilonakis said:
The downside is that you have to pay a fee. I had to pay $18 for the year. It used to be that downloading episodes (albeit, illegally) was free...until the motherf*cking MPAA had to sue my homey torrent download sites like suprnova.
mininova.org

The MPAA will never win this fight.

Members don't see this ad :)
lost is on tonight. Ladies and gentlemen, start your tivos.

Pingu said:
lost is on tonight. Ladies and gentlemen, start your tivos.

Woohoo!!! :clap:

I woke up this morning all groggy and crabby. Then I realized that Lost was on tonight and got all happy. :thumbup:

lost and america's next top model. Wednesdays are the best TVnights ever!

WTF did we skip an episode?!

Mrbojangles said:
WTF did we skip an episode?!
It depends. Here, they didn't show the previous Lost episode because ABC was showing the Red Sox getting their ass beat by the White Sox. I don't know if the show ever aired.

I think in other areas of the country, the Lost episode in question was aired last Wednesday night. The episode is called "Orientation" and I had to download it to watch it.

Don't worry. Before every show they do the "previously, on LOST" recap and basically recap the whole previous episode 3 minutes.

I went to a Lost forum and have gotten sucked in by all these websites with clues that the Lost people put out. It is amazing how much stuff is out there!

AndyMilonakis said:
Two words:

Surgical Pathology

Yeah, **** man, I spent 4 hours previewing breast path for tomorrow, I was lucky I didn't have anything significant to gross.

yaah said:
I spent 4 hours previewing breast path for tomorrow, I was lucky I didn't have anything significant to gross.

With my vast four weeks of surg path experience I thought that breast was by far the hardest. Not that I knew what was going on in any of the other specimens, but at least I could see features that were pointed out to me. Breast I never had any idea what was going on whatsoever.

Prostate comes in a close 2nd.

deschutes said:
You're all Lost! :idea:

I am definitely lost. :)

Has anybody ever played an "alternate reality game"? This weekend when I was running all around the web playing all these Lost games I kept coming across this. Apparently there was a big one with Alias a few years ago and the biggest one was before the movie A.I. came out.

beary said:
Has anybody ever played an "alternate reality game"? This weekend when I was running all around the web playing all these Lost games I kept coming across this.
I'm almost afraid to ask. I just downgraded my Netflix subscription from 3-at-a-time to 1-at-a-time in the hope that it might force me to study some blood bank and Step 3! :laugh:

yaah said:
Yeah, **** man, I spent 4 hours previewing breast path for tomorrow, I was lucky I didn't have anything significant to gross.
Overall, breast is hard. Titty specimens give me quite a bit of grief. Though I think grossing titties gives me more grief than the histologic evaluation. I should qualify this however. I think breast cases are easy when you have a clear cut invasive lobular, invasive ductal, or tubular carcinoma. Even if you have mixed features that's fine. The part where you have to distinguish between ALH and LCIS and between ADH and DCIS is still fuzzy for me.

Anyways, I would rather have someone more proficient at grossing cut in the breast specimen. Sometimes you just slice up the tit and can't find the lesion. Then there's finding the biopsy cavity which can sometimes be a bitch.

Anyways, I would rather have someone more proficient at grossing cut in the breast specimen. Sometimes you just slice up the tit and can't find the lesion. Then there's finding the biopsy cavity which can sometimes be a bitch.

Today I had a lumpectomy that was oriented personally to me by the surgeon and she even drew it out on the towel. We go back, ink it up, and evaluate it grossly and determine that one margin is a little close for comfort. We go back to talk to her with the specimen and same orientated towel and she goes 'oh no, it's oriented like this' and flips the mofo around!
I'm like crazy, you drew this on the towel and pointed all of this out to me and now you are deciding that you oriented it wrong? Luckily it was not too large of a lumpectomy and I just totally embedded the sucker. Crazy a$$ surgeons.

I too hate breast, there is always too much crap going on...sclerosing adenosis, fat necrosis, fibrocystic changes, AND on top of that you've got to figure out what in the heck the tumor is doing. :eek:

Pingu said:
Today I had a lumpectomy that was oriented personally to me by the surgeon and she even drew it out on the towel. We go back, ink it up, and evaluate it grossly and determine that one margin is a little close for comfort. We go back to talk to her with the specimen and same orientated towel and she goes 'oh no, it's oriented like this' and flips the mofo around!
I'm like crazy, you drew this on the towel and pointed all of this out to me and now you are deciding that you oriented it wrong? Luckily it was not too large of a lumpectomy and I just totally embedded the sucker. Crazy a$$ surgeons.

I too hate breast, there is always too much crap going on...sclerosing adenosis, fat necrosis, fibrocystic changes, AND on top of that you've got to figure out what in the heck the tumor is doing. :eek:

At least you kept the towel. I don't mind screening many breast slides when lumpectomy margins are processed as shave margins just because more than half of the slides is usually fat and benign stuff and you only have to stop when you see blue.

At least you kept the towel. I don't mind screening many breast slides when lumpectomy margins are processed as shave margins just because more than half of the slides is usually fat and benign stuff and you only have to stop when you see blue.

I keep everything if it is a specimen that may be questionable when it comes to orientation. I make little drawings and if it's a really crazy specimen then I take a picture, print it out and diagram on that. It keeps people from coming to ask me stuff.

I just don't get how the surgeon can completely change her mind on the orientation!!! All margins were clear on the micro fortunately!

Back in med school, a pathologist I was working with was grossing a liver resection. He breadloaved (loaf-ed?) it, took the slice, sandwiched it between two transparencies, ran a copy on the photocopier, and proceeded to diagram sampling on the copy! :laugh: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I've always wanted to tell this story.

breadloaved (loaf-ed?)

I think its got to be loaf-ed because we say breadloafing?

I would not want to be the next person to use that copier!

I do my things because i hate to be questioned and feel like I've done something wrong, because 5 minutes of OCD behavior can save you from 30 minutes of going back and taking more.

Pingu said:
I think its got to be loaf-ed because we say breadloafing?
Yeah, I guess. Like the Toronto Maple "Leafs". Blue murder.

Pingu said:
I would not want to be the next person to use that copier!
Face it, horribler things have happened in the gross room. You think that pen you just took from that pen-holder on the counter...? ;) Besides, transparencies are light-lucent, not liverjuice-lucent :p

Pingu said:
I do my things because i hate to be questioned and feel like I've done something wrong, because 5 minutes of OCD behavior can save you from 30 minutes of going back and taking more.
Oh I totally agree. When I was on hemepath I was keeping a personal log of of Dx's on all the cases I saw because inevitably clinicians decide to toodle over (I love that phrase... they really do "toodle") on a Friday and see what the Monday biopsy showed.

You think that pen you just took from that pen-holder on the counter...?

Ooh, I'm extremely guilty of that...our techs keep throwing away the pens when they catch me at it. Me and pens do not have a good relationship. I lose them, cover them in goo, chew on them... :eek:

deschutes said:
Back in med school, a pathologist I was working with was grossing a liver resection. He breadloaved (loaf-ed?) it, took the slice, sandwiched it between two transparencies, ran a copy on the photocopier, and proceeded to diagram sampling on the copy! :laugh: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I've always wanted to tell this story.

I've done that before, you sort of have to on sarcoma resections that have been treated.

anyway, boob path is ok, I don't mind the grossing so much, but some surgeons go ape**** with margins. We have one here who sends 3-4 additional specimens that are all margins along with every oriented lumpectomy. specimen #4: Additional lateral superior margin clip marks medial edge stitch marks inferior you try figuring out what is a margin.

What's with the Others? Honestly how horrible can they be. They looked like New England fisherman when they kidnapped Walt. Do they eat people or something? Do they force their captees to search for lymph nodes in disemboweled victims?

What sucks is that we have to wait 3 more weeks to see the next new episode! Man, I hate it when they do this. They pulled off the same shenanigans last year.

They pulled off the same shenanigans last year.

I'll pistol whip the next guy who says shenanigans! :love:

They are really dragging all of this out. Like the people from the back of the plane wouldn't have already told sawyer what happened to them. I would have been like mofos, where are the other 18 people? What happened?

Anyone else see that totally awesome dress sun was wearing when she bumped into jin down by the river?

Pingu said:
I'll pistol whip the next guy who says shenanigans! :love:
Yeah, whatever pingoo. Shenanigans! Bring it!
They are really dragging all of this out. Like the people from the back of the plane wouldn't have already told sawyer what happened to them. I would have been like mofos, where are the other 18 people? What happened?
Maybe they got "the sickness". Perhaps certain parts of the island predisposes you to getting "the sickness"...which can happen when you eat undercooked boar. Get some of that Taenia in that motherf*cker and poof! You dead!
Anyone else see that totally awesome dress sun was wearing when she bumped into jin down by the river?
Anyone else check out that fine piece of ass when she bent over to pick up her purse?

Pingu said:

Yep, it was awesome.

I bet you liked her first pair of shoes better than the ones her mom picked out. :laugh:

Of course, even at 5'10, I do NOT wear flats.

I am getting that dress. I don't know how, but it will be mine!

Yeah, whatever pingoo. Shenanigans! Bring it!

BONK! Bonkstick 2006, I'll give you some shenanigans! BONK!

Pingu said:
Of course, even at 5'10, I do NOT wear flats.

I am getting that dress. I don't know how, but it will be mine!

I thought female pathologists are supposed to be frumpy ;). No wait that's the surgeons.

Bumping this in anticipation of tonight's episode about the Tailaways.

I can't believe we never discussed last week's episode!

:love: Lost :love:

beary said:
Bumping this in anticipation of tonight's episode about the Tailaways.

I can't believe we never discussed last week's episode!

:love: Lost :love:
There was a new episode last week?