Lost & Confused

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rorygg

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello.. I'm applying to universities all over Ireland and I have heard mixed comments about it. Some people told me that its all work and no play others told me that its fun. Also, some people advised me to go to the States instead of Ireland because of the whole accent issue. Ive never been to Ireland so I really dont know what to expect! I basically want some reliable info from people who are currently studying in Ireland. Im interested to know about the type of students, the quality of life, and the education given there. THANKS

Members don't see this ad.

accent?! Dude...you're going from one English-speaking country to another. The accent problem can't possibly be that bad. Some areas have heavy accents, but you get used to them after a week or so, a little bit of blank staring and all but there's no trouble understanding. The only Irish school which you might have to adapt to is UCC as the Cork accent can be strong.

It's definitely not all work and no play. Come on, it's Ireland. You do have to do your work, but there's definitely some play time! and if you find yourself with too little play time, then you make your own :).

The accent can't be as difficult to understand as some of the Pakistani doctors I've worked with over here. If I can understand them, I'm sure I can understand the people in Ireland.

Members don't see this ad :)
rorygg said:
Hello.. I'm applying to universities all over Ireland and I have heard mixed comments about it. Some people told me that its all work and no play others told me that its fun. Also, some people advised me to go to the States instead of Ireland because of the whole accent issue. Ive never been to Ireland so I really dont know what to expect! I basically want some reliable info from people who are currently studying in Ireland. Im interested to know about the type of students, the quality of life, and the education given there. THANKS

I tend to agree with you. Med school in Ireland is all work, but that's true wherever you go. Actually, there will be times of fun, but going to med school in Ireland is seriouus. It's not a vacation. The education is rigouros. There will be times when you get no free time. That's not to say that you'll be in prison either. The whole accent issue isn't a big deal. It's still English. And it's not like you're going to no understand what anybody is saying. Maybe a word or two here or there, but you just ask. no big deal.

rorygg said:

you must be kidding me?
have you ever seen a class in an ivy league school? 90% of science classes are run by TAs from mainland China, if you can live through top US college education, you will do fine even in ethnocentric France

geez, half the time my classes used Chinese....... (and you are worrying about accents????)

hahahhahahah

rorygg said:

TBH, I often find American accents easier to understand than some of my fellow countrymen. It all depends on how strong someone's accent is - the people you meet in medical school will usually have a fairly neutral accent. If you're worried about accents though watch out for Cork - it has a rather unique accent, but it isn't too difficult if you give yourself time to attune your ear. Stay clear of RCSI too unless you want to hear English accented in dozens of different ways! :D

Hey.. thanks yeah you guys did put a lot into perspective.. the accent should not be a problem as so many people told me it would be.. and it should'nt be too stressful.. :D

dr strangelove said:
TBH, I often find American accents easier to understand than some of my fellow countrymen. It all depends on how strong someone's accent is - the people you meet in medical school will usually have a fairly neutral accent. If you're worried about accents though watch out for Cork - it has a rather unique accent, but it isn't too difficult if you give yourself time to attune your ear. Stay clear of RCSI too unless you want to hear English accented in dozens of different ways! :D
With regards to Cork and Accents, it's only in Cork City that the accent might be a problem, and in dealing with some of your patients and the docs. Most of the profs speak non-Cork English, and I have to say that after the initial first few weeks I had no problems with anyone's accent, except the occasional older man from the country. Really, accent is not an issue, speaking as a native English speaker from the east coast of Canada. Cheers,
M

I can't believe that theaccent thing is even an issue to some people. It's still English. I mean, come on. It's not like French. I doubt that you are going to be unable to comprehend entire sentences.

Going to med school, in and of itself is like learning 5 different languages. Try saying "test antigens of Candida, streptokinase-streptodornase" really fast 5 times in a row. Or how about "dinitrochlorobenzene [DNCB] reactivity". The words don't exactly roll off the toungue. I mean geez! Once you get to be this famous world-reknown doctor, you are going to be at symposiums with other internationally famous docs. What are you going to say to them, "oh, I can't understand anything you are saying at all because you are Irish?" Of course not. Is it that you don't want to try to understand others with unique accents?

BlondeCookie said:
I can't believe that theaccent thing is even an issue to some people. It's still English. I mean, come on. It's not like French. I doubt that you are going to be unable to comprehend entire sentences.

Going to med school, in and of itself is like learning 5 different languages. Try saying "test antigens of Candida, streptokinase-streptodornase" really fast 5 times in a row. Or how about "dinitrochlorobenzene [DNCB] reactivity". The words don't exactly roll off the toungue. I mean geez! Once you get to be this famous world-reknown doctor, you are going to be at symposiums with other internationally famous docs. What are you going to say to them, "oh, I can't understand anything you are saying at all because you are Irish?" Of course not. Is it that you don't want to try to understand others with unique accents?

Ok its not that big of an issue for me but many people told me it was going to be. Thats why i thought of asking! Personally, I really do not know what to expect when im going there or the problems im going to face because Ive never been there! That is why I thought of asking people who have a clue. Sorry if i had offended anyone with the whole accent thing!

if you want reliable, one thing i will tell you is that medical school in ireland is not even close to being all work. it's definitely leaning HEAVILY toward the play dept....maybe i take a lighter approach but i'm still doing very well and have not failed anything....you can easily have a great social life here, way more so than at home....if your'e doing med in canada or the states, it's definitely all work, but not so here.